WK2 rear tyre carrier - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: What type of tyre carrier for the WK2 Grand Cherokee
Just a tyre carrier that involved cutting a hole thru the bumper. 3 5.45%
Traditional replacement steel bumper with option for 1 or 2 swing outs. 42 76.36%
Tyre carrier that has a protection tube wrapping around the existing bumper 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-04-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs View Post
The Formula Offroad one would completely cover the reversing camera. That would be a killer for me.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
You've got a point there but this would apply to any rear wheel carrier even if it were to one side (if there is enough room) then you'd have to do something with the tail lights etc..Might be easier to have it in the centre and look at relocating the camera ..On my Commander I mounted camera on the tyre carrier...That worked ok....Those models with rear park and movement sensors will have their work cut out as well unless they have them switched off permanently.

My solution with the my WK2 (which has been at the dealer's for nearly 4 months waiting for a technical fix to it's many issues) was to buy 2 extra standard rims: one to replace the steel and the other to put on the roof rack for touring..Will have to make a new ply floor raised to cater for the extra tyre width..Don't see any problem with that because ws going to fit my drawer system ..bit of a bugger getting to the spare but I will have one on the roof.,Have to setup camp to get to the other though so a rear wheel carrier would solve this but create a few other issues...Hmmmm!!

Last edited by Wanderer; 28-04-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 27-04-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have one extra alloy which is the day to day spare or goes on the roof touring. The steel spare - with a full size Khumo on it - stays under the floor with a replacement ply floor with compressor/air tank and fridge slide bolted to it.

Maybe I'll get another alloy if I find one cheap enough.

Maybe the reversing camera could be incorporated into the rear bumper?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 27-04-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs View Post
I have one extra alloy which is the day to day spare or goes on the roof touring. The steel spare - with a full size Khumo on it - stays under the floor with a replacement ply floor with compressor/air tank and fridge slide bolted to it.

Maybe I'll get another alloy if I find one cheap enough.

Maybe the reversing camera could be incorporated into the rear bumper?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
If you're interested in another, Call Cam @ Jax Tyres 68 Abbotsford Rd Bowen Hills Brisbane..He had a pile of brand new OE std WK2 rims was $400 a set...I bought a set and shared 2 with a mate..Call Cam on (07) 3252 2892. Also Cam advertises on Gumtree and will ship interstate. Not sure if he'll sell 1 off but at $400.00 for 4 who cares.
Old 27-04-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Here's what someone on another forum messed around with:

Replacing the entire bumper is a bit ugly, as it goes right up to the tail lights. I'm guessing the bumper would have to be cut.
Old 28-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

Not nice! even the draw bar of what ever its pulling looks dodgy!
Old 28-04-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Is that a PhotoShop job??

And the trailer chains are a little long!

cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 28-04-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

I believe it is a photoshop rendering, that spare looks like a Prado rim.