XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 33 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-11-2016
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Jeep didn't pass pit inspection today.

Only minor shit, and stuff i would of picked on myself.
1. The accessory wiring needs tidying up. I have the new accessory wiring box to mount, and i should of done it before pit inspection, but now it has to be done before reexamination.
2. Brake lines to be secured properly with spring retainers. I have fitted extended SS brake lines and there is a concern they could rub the tyres.... so easy fix there...
3. Fix right rear brake light. I have gone over the lights a thousand times.. and this morning before inspection i checked them again. I couldn't believe it when the front left park and main light were fcuked. I whipped down to the auto parts store and replaced them. When i went to inspection the right rear brake light would not work. Easy fix but WTF.

Well thats it.. getting closer now but still working on it....
Hopefully straighten out all the loose ends the next few days and then take her in next week to get some plates....

Cheers,
Old 29-11-2016
AJOR Gold

Measured up for the brake line retainer springs. Just need a 3 or 4 about 80mm long with a 10mm hook for the lines.. i think Bunnings has various sizes.

The right rear brake light was working, but it had fallen out of the lens socket and was drooped down in that void behind cover. I just plugged it back in and all was good.. but a mystery how it got down there, as last time i checked the brakes, all was good.

I went out in the shed with my good clothes on "just to have a look at how i was going to fab up the relay box holder and its location". I ended up welding and grinding, hammering and banging and when i was done i had installed the new bracket, fitted the relay box and re-routed a heap of LPG and vacuum hoses.. came out good but i fcuked up my Sunday best.

Next few days i need to rewire a bunch of stuff including Rancho air shock compressor, radiator fans, Derale tranny cooler, light bar and LPG. That should tidy up the spaghetti thats in there now....

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 30-11-2016
AJOR Gold

Bunnings has a great variety of springs and brackets, so i grabbed some stainless hardware and headed home.

Fit up was easy and i should have done it before as i was thinking at the time when i first fitted the extended brake lines that i should fit retainers.
I have fitted these spring retainers to both the front and rear lines. This will eliminate the possibility of the lines bending out and rubbing on the tyres.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 30-11-2016
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post

Next few days i need to rewire a bunch of stuff including Rancho air shock compressor, radiator fans, Derale tranny cooler, light bar and LPG. That should tidy up the spaghetti thats in there now....

Cheers,
One little trick is to replace that pipe that runs from the airbox to the tappet cover with a small 50mm air cleaner and bung up the airbox hole. Available from car shops. And take off the ignition wire loom holders if you're not using them. It all goes to reducing clutter.
Old 01-12-2016
AJOR Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billnick View Post
One little trick is to replace that pipe that runs from the airbox to the tappet cover with a small 50mm air cleaner and bung up the airbox hole. Available from car shops. And take off the ignition wire loom holders if you're not using them. It all goes to reducing clutter.
Ive seen that airfilter thing done Billnick on the internet but can't figure out why? The pipe just blows fumes into the airbox to be burnt back in engine.
I think if the pipes get blocked, it can cause havoc, as the engine has to breath.

Anyway, i just about broke my back getting the wiring done. Went to Jaycar about 10 times... Got a circuit breaker for the main power cable that runs from my battery to the relay box. Purchased lots of cable covers, ties, solder, wire, heat shrink etc.. I knew it was going to be a big job and perhaps that's why i was putting it off.. burnt about 20 hours figuring out the birds nest and rewiring the whole schnozzle..

Anyway, it has come up pretty nice and tidy, and will make my life so much more easier if an accessory shits it self as everything ties back to the relay box i made up from Bleepin Jeeps video.

On a side note, when i started the car up to test all relays and cooling fans, there was a huge vacuum type noise coming from the left side engine bay. I looked, listened, felt, used a spray bottle of soapy water and still could not find the leak. Eventually i took the new relay box off, and underneath is a vacuum hose that i think controls the cruise control and heater controls. It was unplugged, so i whacked that back in and all good again.

With the brake lines secured, the brake lights fixed and the wiring sorted out, this old girl is ready to be booked back in to get checked and rego'd

Cheers,
Old 02-12-2016
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Ive seen that airfilter thing done Billnick on the internet but can't figure out why? The pipe just blows fumes into the airbox to be burnt back in engine.
I think if the pipes get blocked, it can cause havoc, as the engine has to breath.

Cheers,
Other way around, the vacuum from the manifold sucks air from the airbox into the engine via the front pipe, then out the rear pipe via the pcv valve into the manifold. So rather than suck from the airbox, you're sucking through the little aircleaner and all you're doing is getting rid of a pipe.

On a side note, my old stomping ground was a little place called Karragullen, just up the Brookton highway from Kelmscott. Been in Brisbane 40yrs.
Old 02-12-2016
AJOR Gold

This is about as full up as an XJ engine bay can be.

Its a limited so it has lots of clutter anyway, but add ABS modules and pumps, and then add a full LPG system with its modules and pumps plus throw in the Thumper battery module, air/oil shock damper module, triple fans, then add in the extra relay box and wiring for accessories such as transmission cooler, light bar and ARB locker compressor... and its no wonder it gets hot in there.

Cheers,

Last edited by alexbrown64; 22-03-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply