Phantom Electrical Fault - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-12-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Question Phantom Electrical Fault

Over the years my WH Grand CRD has had several episodes of a 4WD fault, with ABS, and ESC all coming up at the same time.

This has seemed to always be as a result of the garage or shop changing or rotating the tyres. A wheel rotation sensor was always blamed and replaced by Jeep. From memory always the RF wheel.

I had blamed rough treatment by the tyre monkeys in whatever tyre shop I chose but after a recent RF wheel removal by a local garage - where you can actually speak with the mechanic, this is probably not the case.

They had been warned that I was tired of replacing LF wheel rotation sensors but the fault came up again. As their scanner did not access everything they borrowed a flash harry one to reset the codes as theirs could not access all areas. Fine, but no cure. They then cleaned and checked all wiring connections. To no avail. Confident that they had been careful with the sensor they then put the unresolvable issue aside, and magically it resolved itself an hour later. The sensor was not replaced.

Has anyone ever heard of a fault like this? The boss said that perhaps it was caused by the suspension drooping to its maximum while my GC was on the hoist, but even he sounded doubtful that might be the cause.

I wonder if it might be an ECU issue. Has anyone had anything similar occur?
Old 17-12-2018
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I to have had sensors play up after tyre changes, put it down to not liking being fully extended but who knows.

I have had them resolve itself and some I have replaced. I carry cheap eBay sensors in case they fail when I'm in bush or away from home. Only about $25 to $30 each. 56044144AD (front) 56044146AB (rear).
Old 21-12-2018
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

$25-$30?
I've been charged $138 or more +labour!
The thing is that I do/did not have an OBD2 to even identify the fault and at first did not realise the connection.

Perhaps it's worth me visiting ebay and putting a couple in the glovebox. These days the nearest dealer is a long way away. I have also learned that not all OBD's are equal.

Thanks for the part numbers.
Old 06-05-2020
Senior Newbie

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I have had this for a year now was the problem Resolved by replacing the ABS sensors that Clarky mentioned above?

Cheers Chingy
Old 17-05-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
$25-$30?
I've been charged $138 or more +labour!
Being 'Wallet Raped' by Stealerships is not much fun ! Buying aftermarket or even from overseas companies like rockauto.com is a proven way to save your hard earned cash !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
The thing is that I do/did not have an OBD2 to even identify the fault and at first did not realise the connection.
Pick up an eBay Elm327 OBD2 adaptor then download OBD JSCAN onto your phone. This will give you access to most of the 'Modules' you need to access as this app is designed for Jeep / Chrysler diagnosis. I think I paid $30 for the VIN specific licence to use all the features of the app. I put a mate of mine onto the same app for his 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 so he could change the tyre size so the speedo was correct & the transmission changed gears correctly !
Post New Thread  Reply