Resistor Mod for Swirl Motor Delete - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Resistor Mod for Swirl Motor Delete

Hi All,

I am sure this has been done already but I could not find it on this forum so I just thought that I would share my recent experience in the hope that it might help others who find themselves in a similar boat.

I own a 3.0L diesel Commander which recently went into limp mode on the way home from work. I have obviously heard a lot about the swirl motor problem but knowing that I have installed the Provent filter I did not suspect that this was the problem. Anyway, I took the car into the dealer for diagnosis and one day and $165 later I am staring down the barrel of a $3475 motor repair bill. Not good .

I had heard of the various tunes to delete the swirl motor and improve performance but I regularly tow a 3t boat and have never really had any issues with the available power and with other more important expense I was not too keen to spend the upwards of $1,000 that they cost. With that in mind I started to research alternatives on the internet and stumbled across the resistor mod. There are a number of sites that describe this mod but I found this to be the most useful http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...18/index2.html

This resistor mod ended up costing me $0.43 and has, so far, fixed my problems. Needless to say I am one very happy camper .
Old 03-09-2013
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal67 View Post
Hi All,

I am sure this has been done already but I could not find it on this forum so I just thought that I would share my recent experience in the hope that it might help others who find themselves in a similar boat.

I own a 3.0L diesel Commander which recently went into limp mode on the way home from work. I have obviously heard a lot about the swirl motor problem but knowing that I have installed the Provent filter I did not suspect that this was the problem. Anyway, I took the car into the dealer for diagnosis and one day and $165 later I am staring down the barrel of a $3475 motor repair bill. Not good .

I had heard of the various tunes to delete the swirl motor and improve performance but I regularly tow a 3t boat and have never really had any issues with the available power and with other more important expense I was not too keen to spend the upwards of $1,000 that they cost. With that in mind I started to research alternatives on the internet and stumbled across the resistor mod. There are a number of sites that describe this mod but I found this to be the most useful http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...18/index2.html

This resistor mod ended up costing me $0.43 and has, so far, fixed my problems. Needless to say I am one very happy camper .
Its great hey...so simple, so cheap, as long as the swirl motor dies on the open position. I had to do my FILs 300C CRD for the same reason, $2900 repair bill fixed for 50c.
Matt.
Old 03-09-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hmmm, maybe mine has failed in the closed position as I think I have a slight increase in fuel consumption. But hey, 3.5grand buys a lot of fuel
Old 04-09-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Given the fact that I have still had the swirl motor fail on me even after fitting the provent I believe that I am still getting too much oil through the intake. This is also evident by the fact that I still have a lot of oil in the intake. I am thinking of doing the elephant hose mod to remove all exhaust gasses from the intake. My question for people who have done this is what do you do with the electrical connector (not sure what it is for) on the intake close to the turbo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120625_185650.jpg
Views:	2192
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	63983  
Old 04-09-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The plug you are holding I think is a pressure sensor or a flow sensor that detects the vacuum from the intake manifold or the flow rate through the hose?

The swirl motor failure has been linked to the oil leaking onto it from the connection you show in the pic, check the part number on the "Air Cleaner to Turbo Hose"
There is a replacement P/N 53013672AE that is supposed to stop the leak.

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/ $75 + $45 post
Old 05-09-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Clarky,

I think I have created some confusion with my previous post. I was aware that there was a new intake but I thought that by putting the Provent in I could eliminate the oil from the exhaust gasses going back into the intake. Unfortunately, this has not been that case as you can see from my photo. I am now interested in the elephant hose mod to completely eliminate the recirculated gasses from the intake but I don’t know what people are doing with that electrical connector. Any photos would be handy.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Ok I understand what your asking & here is a link (if you haven't already seen it) to a step by step mod where they put the sensor in line with the hose that vents to air.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/e...l-crd-1228978/

I personally wouldn't do this mod, my understanding of the "PCV" is to remove unwanted gasses/contaminants from the crank case, to do so a vacuum from the manifold is required. Doing the elephant mod means no vacuum so the gasses/contaminants will remain in the sump & combine with the oil causing slugging of the engine long term, slugging is a bigger problem then oil entering the inlet manifold imo.
Though slugging could possibly be overcome by more frequent oil changes?

If your EGR is stuck open excess oil can make its way to the manifold, this I would think is a more likely cause of to much oil entering the manifold.

EGR operation
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/197
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques079_1.html
EGR part number 05175514AA
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p...5175514AB.html

Not having a go at you I just think the Elephant Hose Mod is rather crude & offering up other alternatives even the $1000 tunes don't disable the EGR.

Clarky