jeep diffs - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco_nex View Post
Depends what sort of noise you are getting. They are not normally loud. Parts of the drivetrain can be noisy, but this is normally of a case of something is on the way out or broken.
thats what i am worried about was hoping to get some info as to where to start looking
its been very quiet untill now just an annoying dronning sound coming from rear diff
but it may also be related to the other day when it felt when going down hill (bitumen) that it was slipping on and off at first i thought it may have been dirty fuel causing the engine to lug but now not so sure
i found some old posts where guys are running 85-140 grade oils in rear thinking of using same grade when i drop the oil as long as i dont find any metal floating around hopefully will silence it for a while

1999 XJ Cherokee 2.5TDi Manual

HOLLA IF YA HERE ME !
Old 10-06-2009
LokRinger

Liked 1,743 Times in 550 Posts

85-140 is in the manual to use when towing etc. But make sure you use LSD oil or add the correct additive!

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 10-06-2009
TerraFlexer

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Wheel bearing?????
Old 10-06-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
85-140 is in the manual to use when towing etc. But make sure you use LSD oil or add the correct additive!
thanks
my manual states 75-90 for normal use and or 75-140 for towing but will be using the 80-140

HOLLA IF YA HERE ME !
Old 15-06-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Use the 85 140 synthetic oil only for the best protection.
I use Penrite,i have run my dana 35 with a suffed LH rear axle were the bearing runs and I can tell you it does not look any different the day I put that oil in it.22,000 km's on this worn section.
Old 18-06-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Cool

well finally dropped the oil from the rear diff took diff cover off (no drain plug) is this common not to have one jeep is 1999 diff has a tag for 1997 ?
couldnt see any thing major untill i rotated one of the wheels and saw the pinion just move so after replacing the cover and refilling diff with the 85w140 and additive
then dropped the uni off (piss farting little bolts on the thing)then when i put the socket onto the pinion nut it turned in my hand (it was loose) so out came the socket bar and a piece of pipe and pulled it up tight now no noise
now wondering just why the pinion nut was loose in the first place but if it moves again ill rip it off and put some locktite on it

HOLLA IF YA HERE ME !
Old 24-02-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to bring up a old thread But what sort of noise where u having when the pinion nut was loose?? Was it only under load?? What speeds??
Post New Thread  Reply