Fitting 35" tyres - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-04-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Fitting 35" tyres

Hi All,

I have finally decided what I want to do to my 09 CRD auto Unlimited and was hoping those more knowledgeable than myself can give me some assistance / guidance. I thank all contributors in advance.

4 inch lift
20 x 10 Monster XD wheels
35 x 14.5 x 20 Tyres - looking at Pitbull Rocker

Will there be a clearance issue with these tyres?

How do I get the speedo adjusted?

I assume that the gearing will need to be changed to accomodate the 35's. Currently my JK sits at 1650 RPM at 100 kph. with the new lift, I would like it to sit at 1850 RPM at 100 kph (to compensate for the extra wind drag). What gearing should I get and where is the best place to get them?

I have contacted the dealer where I bought the car to enquire about getting a lift kit fitted by them (MOPAR I assume) in order to not void the warranty. Are there any other options?

Does the car become unroadworthy for a/ Fitting the larger tyres, and b/ not being able to see the high level brake light ar the rear due to the larger tyre

Many thanks once again for any help / giudance that anyone is able to give.
Old 30-04-2010
Established Member

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

As to my knowledge you will have no clearence issues.
To get the speedo adjusted the dealer or a programmer such as the procal or aeroforce could correct it.
Gearing would need to be around the 4.88/5.13 range depending on your driving style.
You can't get a lift of that size without voiding the warrenty and mopar don't do a lift that size i don't think, and i'm sure your jeep will be unroadworthy with that amount of lift.
Your stock brake light can be re-used though you may need to think about getting a proper tyre carrier for the future as the tailgate won't last to long.

Other considerations would be after market double carden joint driveshafts to be able to handle the lifted angle and strengthening the front diff as 14.5' tyres are pretty stressful on those weak diffs and axles.

You could go with a 2 inch lift with flat fenders and 35 inch tyres and still be legal (in some states) without any rubbing issues. You won't need to worry about driveshafts with that amount of lift as well

Last edited by phaqnhell; 30-04-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 30-04-2010
not just a web wheeler

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Cheapest option would be a real 2" lift (mopars isnt) and bumpstoping and flat flares. You will have a problem with the spare though. With regards to gearing and depending how often you go off road, 4.56 or 4.88's will suffice.

When your doing your gears, you should do your lockers as well, as it works out cheaper.
Old 30-04-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by double black offroad View Post
When your doing your gears, you should do your lockers as well, as it works out cheaper.
thanks - great advice
Old 30-04-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by king bogan View Post
you may need to think about getting a proper tyre carrier for the future as the tailgate won't last to long.
weight issues?
Old 30-04-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MOPAR, now do a 4 1/2"long arm Kit from the states...

Its actually a Rubi Express kit I think, just change the name on the box...

Here is a link:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16170_1000.htm

Also read about it on another forum...

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.
Old 30-04-2010
Cross The Line...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Big Consideration - For me anyway

For those out there that travel\Park in the city on a regular basis this might be very usefull to you when thinking about lift and tyre sizes...

I currently have a 3.5inch lift and 315 (35") tyres and can confirm that I will JUST fit into a car park that has a hieght bar of 2090 and I do mean just as the tip of the aerial does ping as I go through

A worthy consideration when thinking of lifting IMO