Appcar FCA or OBD Jscan Scan app - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 119 Times in 84 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Appcar FCA or OBD Jscan Scan app

Hey guys just wanted to find out your thoughts on a scanning app for the GC which I can use to modify certain settings. Found both of these apps and the OBD Jscan is app based which connects with the Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. The other is a laptop based application and I believe still connects with the same adaptor.

I am not looking at diagnosing problems and resetting codes but wanted to play around some specific settings that have been modified for AU Jeeps. The lighting and horn options for example and also to my surprise on the Appcar FCA app you can change the instrument cluster to display SRT style gauges. Always have preferred the SRT Speedo more. Of course it’s done by telling the car it’s an SRT instead of Overland lol. Only problem is it also starts up with the SRT startup logo but this is just one of the things you can customise from many many more things.

Have you tried either of them and if you have which one would do you prefer? 😊

http://jscan.net/ - This is the popular app based one which I think can do all the stuff the PC based one can. Both need a licence per VIN though. But worth it I guess? 😊
Old 07-06-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 703 Times in 393 Posts

JScan is good - very intuitive interface/menu and can read Jeep-specific codes. Handy with it as well being mobile.

Not super familiar with AppCar but many people use AlfaOBD on Android of Windows - it's more capable than JScan in terms of messing with parameters, but it's also much MUCH easier to make a mistake and stuff something up royally - and there's no 'reset' button.

I use JScan when needed and to toggle features on/off

Old 08-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

I am more inclined in getting JScan too as you said it’s mobile and easier to use from the looks of it. Yeah don’t really want to go too deep and mess something up that would be scary!

It’s good you find JScan working good and I am looking to toggle features on off too mostly so this should do the trick without getting to complicated. I haven’t paid for the license yet but was looking around the features you can play with and looks like a lot is in there. Plus the settings have toggles to enable more advanced parameter changes which I believe are turned off by default to make the app safer to use. But also means that if you want to get advanced, it’s capable from the looks.
Old 08-06-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

I use AlphaOBD I have it on a dedicated old phone which lives in the glove box and is just for the Alpha App but also have the App on my normal phone as back up, I email the data dumps to myself as way easier to read on big screen ............

With all these type of devices only change one parameter at a time, make sure you know what the original parameter was as you can have some that are very close to each other, if you change a number of things all at once you may brick the system and your stuffed .... Some of the SRT gauges are helpfull while others are just bling junk, being able to read any fault codes on the dash is great, I think as haven't needed to yet and don't mind at all..

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 08-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 266 Times in 145 Posts

I do recommend a decent interface like the obdlink mx+ vs generic readers. More expensive, but regular firmware updates on the hardware and also it downloads the vehicle specific parameters for your Jeep when using its obdlink app. I find now I use their factory software for quick diagnostics, and then jump into alfaobd if needed. Free with the app. Just an option.
Old 08-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Sounds good looks like you have it all ready when you need to tweak or check anything Yeah I was thinking if making changes (mostly I am after cosmetic changes) just got to make sure not to mess anything else up.

I have used Carista when I used to have Toyotas and looking at the amount of parameters you can change on the Jeep, I think it's a lot more customizable than what I could do with my previous cars.

The SRT instrument cluster looks good and it gives you SRT pages (not much use for us) but at the same time you lose the off-road stuff from EVIC. So it's not something I probably would keep long term..but then again I might prefer to keep the SRT speedo which I like more.

My question to Drover and LeCheese would be do I need to get AlphaOBD to be able to try this SRT thing or will it be doable using JScan too? Also, the other thing I would like to check is trying to turn on the horn chirps on locking and but more importantly if possible to have the horn chirp if a door is not closed while locking? Only indication you have left a door open while locking at the moment is that the side mirrors don't fold in. They only fold in if the doors are all closed. But no lights or audible beep. I know the horn on every lock/unloock is annoying but maybe they can have it only turn on if you use your fob or only in cases you left a door open? Not sure if it was on JScan, I saw there was a setting to even adjust the horn chirp length as well. The level of adjustment to which you can get is crazy on these Jeeps lol
Old 08-06-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

I can only relate to Aplha, the SRT display of oil pressure and coolant temp is good stuff but not having the evic screen show the correct drive settings is just cosmetic to me so long as the knob is turned to right position is the important bit..........
Not sure about the annoying chirps on the horn, If I check to make sure its fully locked I look for the red flashing light near the tacho dial, if its not flashing shortly after locking then I check the doors......

My ELM27 dongle, I must have got a good one as it reads all the Jeep/Chrysler OBD protocols I have come across to date, so must have struck it lucky with it ....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply