CRD crackle and pop - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-03-2011
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
not necessary to flog it, just take it for a good long run at highway speeds with the engine at running temperature. all the crap will get cleared out. re-generation is not required. the buildup of muck is caused by cold running or consistant stop start short distance running. diesels are not maeant for anything but long distance driving. if you must use ir just for short city runs, block off the egr and if you have a dpf, drill the guts out of it and re-install it . then once a week take it for a run up your nearest freeway for a total of about 50k. if you do this the vehicle will serve you well. if you don't want to do it, you should not have bought a diesel.the early crds are nearly 4 years old now and these carbon problems are going to get more and more common for people who just do city mileage. you have to give them a good run once in a while or you'll wind up at a dealers getting an engine damaging re-generation. a good long 1000k run at highway speeds will still do the same as a re-generation in most cases without the damage risks. diesels have to be worked.
regeneration is your new favourite word isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double black offroad View Post
After a real hard days wheeling yesterday where my crd copped a hammering, I actually returned the best fuel consumption ever on my jk, 11.3 per 100!!! I have been told you need to flog em every so often to get the carbon build up out. Could be a similar issue Yom?
I treat my jk better than my wife, but I wont now!
I have been driving it on the highway for a fuel tank now with the OD off meaning it revs at 2500rpm doing 100km/hr. Is really nice revving at this RPM to be honest - very smooth and not even loud.

Anyway I plugged the EGR back in (the vacuum hose) the day after it was crackling (changed to a popping with it unplugged), tapped the EGR valve on the intake with a bit of drift and now the crackle seems to be gone. Sticky EGR valve? Bugger but also meh lol

Vibration/harshness is still there (went away with EGR vacuum disconnected). Might mention it to the dealer for the 50,000km service.

Last edited by Yom; 15-03-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 15-03-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

totally agree about revs. mine is 07 manual with 4.1. diffs and 16" wheels. 100kph comes in at 2400. very smooth and even with camper on back, 7 to 800 kg i have never had to change out of top on any hill at highway speeds and have never had overheating problems. to me that gearing is the right gearing for the engine. it just purrs. as for the vibration and stuff could be the valve sticking part open. there will be a fair bit of muck sitting in the inlet manifold at the rear end if it's been stuck open for long. could be sticking up inlet valves or causing a bit of a blockage. will take a while to clear. just a guess.
Old 15-03-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Davidd I do a lot of 15-2500km trips in 5 days for work you do notice the on street performance picks up after. Obviously a week and 30 short trips later and you can feel it getting back to its city tune !. Checked my oil consuption the other day just before I dump the oil and consumption would only be 250mls since the last change not bad for a motor approaching 200K. And yes I flog my Jeep.
Old 15-03-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
Davidd I do a lot of 15-2500km trips in 5 days for work you do notice the on street performance picks up after. Obviously a week and 30 short trips later and you can feel it getting back to its city tune !. Checked my oil consuption the other day just before I dump the oil and consumption would only be 250mls since the last change not bad for a motor approaching 200K. And yes I flog my Jeep.
pretty good result steve. you have a good long life motor, but you also do mostly highway long trips. makes a big difference.
Old 15-03-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

regeneration is your new favourite word isn't it.

could with a bit of re-generation myself i'm beginning to think. my sixty odd years are starting to low me down a bit now at times. have been waiting for the wet to finish in the kimberlies so i can get one more trip in, but it's just been flooded out again today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15-03-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

250 ml....still a brand new motor, heaps left in that one mate, probably another 500k at that rate.
Post New Thread  Reply