4.0l XJ overheating? Start here - the basics! - Page 25 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-03-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 46 Times in 34 Posts

Thanks it ended up being a crappy radiator cap, shes cool as now
Old 29-03-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
All Cherokee's get hot in the engine bay. Vents will help lower under bonnet temps at low speeds as they allow hot air to escape but can suck air in at high speeds. They are not a fix for coolant overheating.
If you are not boiling and the ecu shuts the engine down; you probably have a dodgy sensor. There is one on the thermostat housing for the gauge and another for the ecu. AFAIK the ecu one is near the back of the head.
On the pre-updates I believe it is actually the opposite, the one at the rear of the head is for the gauge and the one at the front is for the ECU/thermo fan.
Temperature gauge diagnosis
Old 31-03-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphonii View Post
Thought,
If you running on the beach in high range and working the convert then you would be adding a lot of heat to the radiator.
My auto temp guage, in low range, runs well under 100 degrees.
I have never seen high auto temp when in low range in my XJ.
^^^ I like to add a +1 to this.

I have always noticed temps rose a lot harder and faster in 4wd high range. I started using low range, and noticed temps stayed lower for a lot longer, and generally more stable. Also noticed in lowrange, heaps more power as soon as you push down the pedal, and fuel consumption is better as well due to generally being at lower revs. It just idles along nicely in 3rd or 4th on the tracks i'm on.

My guess was that in high range, theres a lot more stress on the gearbox, its working a lot harder, and therefor getting hotter and quicker, transferring that heat to the radiator.
Old 03-11-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ

hi guys ive just bought an xj & its fine on the road but when i went on the beach it got hot in the soft stuff didnt desperately overheat there was no boil over but it did shut down from what ive been reading here its a faulty cps i also looked on ebay & found an all alli rad that claims 30% better cooling has any body had any experience with these rads
cheers ian
Old 03-11-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancj10 View Post
hi guys ive just bought an xj & its fine on the road but when i went on the beach it got hot in the soft stuff didnt desperately overheat there was no boil over but it did shut down from what ive been reading here its a faulty cps i also looked on ebay & found an all alli rad that claims 30% better cooling has any body had any experience with these rads
cheers ian
Well if you've just bought it why not verify everything is working correctly first? Ensure the clutch is ok (most likely not), ensure that the system is clean, chemical flush, reverse flushed etc including ensuring the air path is clear and clean.

Were you in low range when on the beach?
Having the trans cooler in the radiator still connected also doesn't help things.

IMHO the above will be more beneficial to do first before throwing loads of cash at a part that may not be at fault....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 03-11-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
If you are not boiling and the ecu shuts the engine down; you probably have a dodgy sensor. There is one on the thermostat housing for the gauge and another for the ecu. AFAIK the ecu one is near the back of the head.
The other way around rusty.....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 03-11-2015
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancj10 View Post
i also looked on ebay & found an all alli rad that claims 30% better cooling has any body had any experience with these rads
cheers ian
I got one from ASI and very pleased with it. Temps haven't gone over about 102*. Beware, the one I have is for a LHD and requires modding the shroud if you have one and trans heater on the other side.. I believe you can get a RHD one if you look around.
Post New Thread  Reply