REVIEW: Runva 11XP Winch - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > REVIEWS & NEW PRODUCTS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2014
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default REVIEW: Runva 11XP Winch

Having a hole in your winch bar is never good. It needs to be filled. For one main reason, so you don't need to scam help from your mates if you get stuck.

Above mentioned hole has been calling for a winch, so after speaking with Duncan at Runva winches, the decision was made to install a Runva 11XP.

The Runva 11XP features a rated line pull of 11000lb (4999kg), a 4.9kw/6.5hp motor turning full steel 3 stage platetary gears. The gear ratio is a low 230:1 with an automatic brake featuring a load holding screw cone.

This big red powder coated winch also comes with 26.5mtrs of Dyneema rope and a limited lifetime warranty.

Once the order was placed, I received a nice big box to my front door. After getting the winch installing expert to inspect the box, it was opened to find a wide array of parts, accessories and one hell of a heavy big red winch fitted with Dyneema Winch Rope.

The box includes the winch, hawse fairlead, wireless remote control, 3.7m corded controller, assortment of bolts, two different mounts for the control box, clevis style safety hook, fabric winch cover, snatch block, and other accessories.

The manual included in the kit was perhaps a little on the light side for information. It included a wiring diagram, full exploded view, maintenance, trouble shooting and safety tips. Perhaps details for installation may be helpful for the novice, but considering the vast array of possible install situations, its understandle being left out.

Our application for the Runva 11XP was to go behind a ARB Winchbar on our touring Jeep XJ Cherokee. The first thing needing attention with the winch was to rotate one end of the winch housing to allow for the clutch handle to protrude from the notch in the ARB bar.

This may not need to be done if mounting on top of a bullbar though. While having both motor assembly and gear housing off, we applied a liberal amount of grease as it seemed a little light on.

Installing the winch is very straight forward, a Blue, Yellow and Red wire are premounted in the control box, which are connected to the winch motor as per the diagram in the manual. A separate black earth wire is also included as well as a smaller black earth wire for the control box. Ample wiring is supplied for most applications.

Two mounting brackets are supplied depending on your requirements for the control box. We mounted the box onto one of the spotlight brackets on the ARB bar. We were unable to mount it in the centre as you would with a ARB box due to the hand controller plug fowling with the bar work.

Also supplied is an aluminium Hawse Fairlead due to the fact the winch comes with Dyneema Winch rope. With the ARB Winch bar, it is designed to run Fairlead Rollers, which are not recommended with Dyneema rope. The Hawse fairlead had no mounting points with our configuration so we needed to fabricate a plate with a stud to accommodate. Simply drilling a hole in the front of the bar would not have worked due to the winch motor and gear housing being flush on the inside. Depending on applications, this part may well be a good edition to a already well thought out kit.

runvawinch.com.au
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	runva2.jpg
Views:	3118
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	67387   Click image for larger version

Name:	runva3.jpg
Views:	2959
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	67388   Click image for larger version

Name:	runva4.jpg
Views:	2905
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	67389   Click image for larger version

Name:	runva5.jpg
Views:	2807
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	67390  

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 08-04-2014
Head Honcho

Check out my Ride(s)
Default Re: Runva 11XP Winch REVIEW

Some views of inside the winch. Would also suggest packing some extra grease in if you have the end off to turn.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1396991748693.jpg
Views:	2726
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	67471   Click image for larger version

Name:	1396991758938.jpg
Views:	2692
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	67472  

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 08-04-2014
Head Honcho

Check out my Ride(s)
Default Re: Runva 11XP Winch REVIEW

Cable size and control box mounting.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1396991800590.jpg
Views:	2616
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	67473  

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 08-04-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks Jimmy, great timing as I've got one on order (unsurprisingly the local stockists are sold out, given the current special pricing)

Sounds like I'll need to give the fairlead some thought for the same reason..
Old 09-04-2014
Head Honcho

Check out my Ride(s)

Weld two studs on the front of the bar to mount the fairlead to. You will also need to run washers behind the nut as a socket won't get into the fairlead to tighten onto the stud.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 26-04-2014
No Winching

Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

Some pics from my Runva install. just adding here you can see how i have moved the solenoid to inside the bar making it discrete , which is very easy to do.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-09-01 09.15.06.jpg
Views:	2585
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	67710   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-01 09.16.46.jpg
Views:	2517
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	67711   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-01 11.55.40.jpg
Views:	2509
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	67714  

Help support the future of the forum

Last edited by kj69; 05-07-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 26-04-2014
No Winching

Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

couple more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-09-01 11.55.49.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	67712   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-01 14.42.51.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	67713   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-01 11.55.59.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	67715   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-01 14.42.41.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	67716  

Help support the future of the forum

Last edited by kj69; 26-04-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply