Roof Rack - How much load? - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR


Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee


Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #41  
Old 1 Week Ago
Markus's Avatar
Markus  Markus is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 46
What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Likes: 9
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default

Any photos of your setup Nigel
__________________
MY14 GC LTD CRD - Cashmere, OR Adv Pack 2, Uneek RockSliders, ECB Bar, Frontrunner RR, BFG KO2s
  #42  
Old 1 Week Ago
Taprod  Taprod is offline
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 190
What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Likes: 8
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default



So I thought Iíd try and save some money and buy my tie down rings from bunnings. I bought M8 nuts and eye bolts as per the specs I found on the frontrunner website, but the nuts are actually too tall for the sunken track in the rack panels.

Has anyone else run into this problem or has any suggestions for the right sized parts? I looked high and low juSt to get these!

Itís worth noting that frontrunner uses an eye nut + bolt, whereas what bunning offers is an eye bolt and nut, if that makes sense


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2014 WK2 V6 Grey - Bog Stock
  #43  
Old 1 Week Ago
imaz  imaz is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 321
What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Likes: 15
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprod View Post


So I thought Iíd try and save some money and buy my tie down rings from bunnings. I bought M8 nuts and eye bolts as per the specs I found on the frontrunner website, but the nuts are actually too tall for the sunken track in the rack panels.

Has anyone else run into this problem or has any suggestions for the right sized parts? I looked high and low juSt to get these!

Itís worth noting that frontrunner uses an eye nut + bolt, whereas what bunning offers is an eye bolt and nut, if that makes sense


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha. Been there done that. Ended up going to opposite lock and get generic tie down m8's at $12 a pair.

A mate has had better luck with m8 tie downs $3ea from bunning with the front runners... cant be bothered ..

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
__________________
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L v6, Mineral Grey.
  #44  
Old 1 Week Ago
Markus's Avatar
Markus  Markus is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 46
What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Likes: 9
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default

How much you saving, Frontrunner sell a pair of black galv tiedowns for $11?
__________________
MY14 GC LTD CRD - Cashmere, OR Adv Pack 2, Uneek RockSliders, ECB Bar, Frontrunner RR, BFG KO2s
Sponsored Posts
  #45  
Old 1 Week Ago
Taprod  Taprod is offline
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 190
What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Likes: 8
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
How much you saving, Frontrunner sell a pair of black galv tiedowns for $11?


The ring nuts from bunnings are $1.25 each, so itís reasonably significant, plus bunnings is 1km from my house and opposite lock is 35km away


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2014 WK2 V6 Grey - Bog Stock
  #46  
Old 1 Week Ago
imaz  imaz is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 321
What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Likes: 15
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprod View Post
The ring nuts from bunnings are $1.25 each, so itís reasonably significant, plus bunnings is 1km from my house and opposite lock is 35km away


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeh they should be cheap. But i guess you dont buy them all the time. Get 6-8 and keep em handy. They'll last a lifetime.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
__________________
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L v6, Mineral Grey.
Likes: (1)
Sponsored Posts
  #47  
Old 6 Days Ago
Hotdognz's Avatar
Hotdognz  Hotdognz is offline
Full Flexer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Petrie, Brisbane
Posts: 1,096
What Jeep do I drive?: None
Likes: 62
Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts
Default

I work for Yakima a roof rack company who design racks, if the sticker says 68kg on your car then 68kg is the max load you can load up, you need to take in to account the weight of the racks and a tray.

Take the Jeep GC with a front Runner rack on it, the rating for the roof is 68kg the Front Runner rack weighs in at 27kg, this only allows you 41kg on the roof, any more exceeds Jeeps rating for the car.

It doesnt matter if a roof rack company like Front Runner say it can take 120kg, you are limited by the vehicle manufactures limits that they have given you.

Also bear in mind as soon as you head off road, nearly all the popular roof rack company's have a -25% weight reduction on their roof racks, everyone forgets this and generally overloads there roofs with way to much gear, in the event you have a accident or rip the mounting points of you car due to washouts, corrugations etc the vehicle manufacture is not going to look after you because you overloaded their roof, they have that rating there for a reason, will Front Runner or any other brand cover the cost to fix it ??, doubt it.

Cheers Stephen
__________________
Hotdognz


Red JKU, AEV Front & Rear Bar, AEV 2.5 XT Lift.
TJM Winch, Sharpwrax Super Spoiler.
  #48  
Old 6 Days Ago
imaz  imaz is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 321
What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Likes: 15
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdognz View Post
I work for Yakima a roof rack company who design racks, if the sticker says 68kg on your car then 68kg is the max load you can load up, you need to take in to account the weight of the racks and a tray.

Take the Jeep GC with a front Runner rack on it, the rating for the roof is 68kg the Front Runner rack weighs in at 27kg, this only allows you 41kg on the roof, any more exceeds Jeeps rating for the car.

It doesnt matter if a roof rack company like Front Runner say it can take 120kg, you are limited by the vehicle manufactures limits that they have given you.

Also bear in mind as soon as you head off road, nearly all the popular roof rack company's have a -25% weight reduction on their roof racks, everyone forgets this and generally overloads there roofs with way to much gear, in the event you have a accident or rip the mounting points of you car due to washouts, corrugations etc the vehicle manufacture is not going to look after you because you overloaded their roof, they have that rating there for a reason, will Front Runner or any other brand cover the cost to fix it ??, doubt it.

Cheers Stephen
Spot on, insurance will first find your mistakes to avoid claims. As for jeeps, the load rating is not much at all and easily capable of over doing.
__________________
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L v6, Mineral Grey.
Post New Thread  Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On





All times are GMT +10. The time now is 02:24 AM.




AJOR does not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of AJOR or any entity associated with AJOR, nor should any advice be substituted as technical advice replacing that of a mechanic. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use AJOR to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, religious, political or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by AJOR. The owner, administrators and moderators of AJOR reserve the right to delete any message or members for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless AJOR, the administrators, moderators, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). The use of profile signatures to intentionally mislead or misdirect any member on this forum is not acceptable and may result in your account being suspended. Any trip that is organised through the AJOR forum is participated at your own risk. If you or your vehicle is damaged it is your responsibility, not that of the person that posted the thread, message or topic initiating the trip, nor the organisers of AJOR or moderators of any specific forum. This forum and associated website is the property of AJOR.





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

AJOR © 2002 - 2017 AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM. All corporate trademarked names and logos are property of their respective owners. Ausjeepoffroad is in no way associated with DaimlerChrysler Corporation or Fiat Jeep.
www.midlifemate.com wayalife.com jkwrangler.com ausjeepforum.com jk-forum.com canadianjeepoffroad.com 20secondgorilla.com
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=