auto transmission check - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2007
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default auto transmission check

do you know what sort of hassle it is if you need to check the transmission fluid? I have to drive at least 1000 k's to get the dam thing checked as you cant just pull out an invusibe dipstick you cant even get the cap off the filler pipe to add new fluid.
out here in the scrub its very concerning especially if you get a leak down there, you just dont know how much tranny fliud you got left.
I rang the dealer and all he could say was come in and we will check it for you,yea right 1600 k's for a five minute check.
any suggestions ?
I still love it
Old 06-06-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK.A View Post
do you know what sort of hassle it is if you need to check the transmission fluid? I have to drive at least 1000 k's to get the dam thing checked as you cant just pull out an invusibe dipstick you cant even get the cap off the filler pipe to add new fluid.
out here in the scrub its very concerning especially if you get a leak down there, you just dont know how much tranny fliud you got left.
I rang the dealer and all he could say was come in and we will check it for you,yea right 1600 k's for a five minute check.
any suggestions ?
I still love it

If its anything like the CRD in the grand, the trans doesn't have a dipstick to cheak tranny oil. Its "oil for life" in the CRD as it use the Merc Gear box.???? If you have a plug over where your tranny dip stick should be then no need to change fluid...

Im guessing you will look under the car to see if there are any leaks too.

Hope this helps
Old 07-06-2007
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

there seems to be a slight leak but cant get into the dam thing to check the levels. although a local workshop here washed the tranny down and seemed to think it had been overfilled at its last service and the oil was dripping down from there and from the skid plates , im not so sure as it seemed like a reasonable amount of oil that came out.
all i can do is wait til i go to perth or wait til the light comes ok if there is one.
very unerving
Old 02-09-2007
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default Transmission

after a trip to perth to see chellingworth my tranmission is now fixed it seems a seal was put in wrong and the job was finished in a few hours.
have lost my hard drive so now have a new hard drive and am back online.

I have just returned from a trip from tom price to roy hill.nullagine, marble bar and back to tom price. dirt was for about 500 kms the commander never skipped a beat and handled all in its path including roos, emus and lots of cattle .
fuel economy was great. good trip all round all i need to do now is to wash it.
Old 28-07-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Has anyone ever replaced the automatic transmission fluid, and is it a job for the home mechanic? I've replaced ATF on a BMW X3, a Land Rover Discovery Series II, a Toyota Prado 120 Series, so I'm reasonably familiar with ZF and Aisin gearboxes.

Does anyone know what type of fluid is required for these gearboxes and who the auto gearbox manufacturer is?

Thanks in advance.
Post New Thread  Reply