Strange clicking noise - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-03-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Strange clicking noise

Hi all, I'm on tour of WA (Currently in Esperance ) having done over 3000km in a bit over a week. The Jeep is running nicely, pulling my Jayco Silverline Outback (3.3t) all that way averaging less than 15 litres per 100 km cruising at 95km/h.
However, I have noticed a strange clicking noise when coasting and stopping, not there all the time but frequently enough to think there could be trouble brewing.
The noise reminds me of the sound my old WH had when it did a universal joint on the front drive shaft, although at this stage not as pronounced or consistent.
My vehicle has only done 38k, so would not expect this yet, but one should expect the unexpected I suppose.
Any other ideas?
I am heading towards Albany, is there a Jeep dealer there?
If not, how do I get something done elsewhere that would be covered by warranty?
Old 26-03-2019
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Eye ball driveshaft jointsm at rear diff with the fact your towing. See if there is play, or if it is dry.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 26-03-2019
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Typical bloke crdv6. I bet the missus is oblivious to the clicks. Mate, at the k's you have done, you are well within your warranty. Relax, enjoy WA and if it shits itself, get it done under warranty. I know, i am the same.. i hear every creak, groan and moan.. it fukcs me off... sometimes, you just have to let the dice roll. You paid good money for a new Jeep with warranty..Let those fukcers sort it out. Enjoy your trip. Go to the Whaling station.. well worth it.. Also, go to Bluff Knoll!!

P.S. It probably is a front drive shaft bearing. I had a GC and i fixed it myself for $100.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 26-03-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 124 Times in 77 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi mate, sorry to hear of clicking, nothing to offer on problem .
Re dealer: There's no official dealer anymore but Albany World of Cars out on Albany Highway are still the service/warranty agents. Ask for Alan the service Manager.
Trust it's not a big issue.
Regards Trev
Old 26-03-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

I guess you've checked the tyres for a self tapper or similar........
Had a call from my daughter yesterday evening driving a rental Prado through Cunnumulla - ticking noise evident when slowing.
She located a tek screw embedded in the passenger front.
Quite proud of herself.
Old 26-03-2019
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnK View Post
I guess you've checked the tyres for a self tapper or similar........
Had a call from my daughter yesterday evening driving a rental Prado through Cunnumulla - ticking noise evident when slowing.
She located a tek screw embedded in the passenger front.
Quite proud of herself.
That was my first thought, but the noise is definitely in the driveline. I've noticed a couple of times it kick in when the transmission downshifts, but it's not present all the time. Must be dependent on the load or lack of load, backlash or something. Guess if it gets worse it will be easier to pinpoint, just hope something doesn't give way all at once!
I'm fairly confident that won't happen, she's running sweet otherwise, but you know Murphy' law!
Old 30-03-2019
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67HR View Post
Hi mate, sorry to hear of clicking, nothing to offer on problem .
Re dealer: There's no official dealer anymore but Albany World of Cars out on Albany Highway are still the service/warranty agents. Ask for Alan the service Manager.
Trust it's not a big issue.
Regards Trev
Thanks Trev, in Albany now, will check them out next week. Noise hasn't really got any worse, but still there.
Cheers,Roger