CRD drives me...crazy - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-03-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default CRD drives me...crazy

Hi all,

I apologise in advance as it's a pretty long post.

Last November I bought my love: 2008 Wrangler Unlimited CRD...just 121k kms (now 127k), excellent conditions, never missed a service. When I bought it I had to rebuild the steering box as it was leaking (I've been told it's a common issue for this model).

I drove it from Perth to Broome (where I currently live), all sweet as. Up here at the moment is wet season (very hot and humid weather, I don't know if this info can help).

At the end of December the car started to behave a bit funny: I noticed sometimes a non real-time response when I press on the accelerator. I also noticed that this has never happened when the engine is cold and it happens more frequently after start and stops.

One day it got worse, I noticed when I was parking the car it was idling irregularly, below its regular speed and it was shaking. I parked the car and I used it after 9 hrs...all good again. It did this again just another time and then never again.

So at the beginning of Jan I went to the mechanic: they checked everything, changed the fuel filter (even though I replaced it less than 5k) and checked the OBD. They said that the engine was in excellent conditions. We tried the car together for three hrs and, of course, it was perfectly working in that occasion. Checking the OBD they just “Found ABS and steering angle DTC’s present” “Carry out steering angle sensor relearn and reset” - “Erase DTC’s and test". At the end they stated: “Vehicle’s stability control system was causing the power loss to occur due to steering angle sensor receiving wrong information, this could be related to the steering box rebuilt”.

After this the car worked better for a while even though I always found the answer of the accelerator a bit strange...not prompt as I used to feel on every other car I had in my life.

Anyway, in Feb I went on holidays so I didn't use the car until March. Since then it started again with the funny (and annoying) behave: all good when the engine is cold, sometimes all good at all, other times you go to town, start and stop a couple of times and...here we go again...every time I release the accelerator (for ex before a roundabout or to reduce the speed for some reason) and then I press it again it doesn't pick up immediately, no answer for like two o three seconds (RPM doesn't change) and then once it manage to get to 2000 rpm the turbo starts and the speed, of course, increase quickly...not a very smooth driving I would say and very annoying feeling every time, like if you don't have 100% control of the vehicle.

Since last Wed it got worse and worse...coming back from Woolworths and the answer of the accelerator was very very delayed, incredible loss of power, irregular RPM and then OBD WARNING LIGHT ON. Barely managed to arrive at home, very slowly and irregular RPM.

The day after OBD light off again, all good when the engine was cold and then start and stop a couple of times, again delayed answer from when you accelerate.

On Sunday night I went out of town, 40 kms driving on high way. Everything ok. Driving back, all good on the highway, as soon as I arrived in town and I had to reduce and change speed...again very delayed answer...and after a while...no answer at all...it was almost stalling...not managed to go over 10 or 20 kmh...OBD WARNING LIGHT ON again. I pulled the car for 10 minutes on the side of the road, disconnected the battery, reconnected...nothing...other 10 minutes, OBD WARNING LIGHT still on but I got power again...I arrived at home. This morning it did it the same after a couple of start and go.

I used my OBD reader and finally I got the following error codes:

P0402 - EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION FLOW EXCESS DETECTED
P0101 - MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE PROBLEM

I left the bonnet open, after three hrs I started the car and it was everything ok. Tonight I drove it for one hour, I started and stopped, I did everything possible and now it works beautifully with sometimes some little delays in the accelerator answer (no more than 1 sec).

Ladies and gentlemen...please help...what do you think? Has anybody experienced something similar?

Thanks in advance
Old 26-03-2019
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

P0402.. looks like you have hit the nail on the head..

How serious is the P0402 code?

An EGR that has excessive flow can cause the engine to hesitate or stall on acceleration or have a very rough engine idle.

What repairs can fix the P0402 code?

Replacing the stuck open EGR valve

Replacing a broken catalyst in the exhaust

Replacing an EGR temperature sensor or cleaning the carbon off of it to repair it if it registers too much of a temperature change

Replacing the EGR backpressure control valve

I think you have diagnosed your problem. Time to see a mechanic and present your diagnosis.....

Cheers,
Old 26-03-2019
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks a lot Alex!

I read somewhere that it could be the MAP sensor that needs to be cleaned or replaced...is one of the things you listed?

Thanks
Old 26-03-2019
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Enjoy Broome.. its a mystical place..

Cheers,
Alex
Old 26-03-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 50 Times in 46 Posts

Is it safe to use electrical contact cleaner on the Map sensor ?
Also is it recommended to disconnect the battery ?
Old 26-03-2019
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFIxw725Ylk

Enjoy Broome.. its a mystical place..

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks a lot Alex!

I've been enjoying Broome since five years now...mystical place but when you need assistance for you Jeep it's a nightmare!
Old 26-03-2019

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLT View Post
Is it safe to use electrical contact cleaner on the Map sensor ?
Also is it recommended to disconnect the battery ?
There is specific MAP sensor cleaner... I'd use that.

You can get it from Supercheap auto or anywhere like that.

Disconnect the sensor before cleaning, so shouldn't need to disconnect the battery.
Post New Thread  Reply