Seeking Urgent Advice - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts
Default Seeking Urgent Advice

On a recent trip - in June - to Lawn Hill and The Gulf - we experienced a malfunction to our air-suspension, ACC and Anti-skid components after crossing a river/creek on The Savannah Way. From then - we had none of the components working. We were able to limp home and book our Overland into the dealer.

After inspecting the car - they told us that a few new components were required to be ordered from the US. That is now 4 MONTHS ago!!! I have visited the dealer [they have never contacted me] to be told they are virtually here!

After already cancelling one caravan trip away [which was to be our ‘retirement trip’ - I contacted FCA in desperation. A person eventually contacted me to inform me that they had contacted the dealer and there was nothing that could be done to speed up the process. In fact - the parts were currently being manufactured!! What! I asked why they were being manufactured now when they had been supposedly ordered 4 months ago. No response.

I asked FCA how it was that I could order goods from Europe and the US and they could [and have] been on my door in 3 DAYS! No response. I also asked how it was - with probably a few hundred [at least] Grand Cherokees being manufactured a month why the parts would not already exist. No response.

Last year - during a routine service - the dealer detected that my rear shocker was leaking. That took 3 months to arrive as there were none in the country [and obviously none in the US either lol].

I love our Jeep but l am beginning to be VERY nervous about taking it to any remote areas that we have previously been to as if something were to happen - I could literally be there for months!

I am at my wits-end as Christmas is fast approaching and l am worried that l am going to be waiting into the New year. This would cause my second trip to be cancelled. Also - the car is not driveable due to having no lift. My wife and l have struggled to get by with only one car for 4 months but l travel to the country every weekend to look after my elderly mother and that makes it very difficult for her.

What are my ‘legal avenue’ options now? Is there any other body that l can turn to as FCA and the dealer have no interest in my case what-so-ever?

Thank you.
Old 07-11-2018

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Totally sympathize with you. I’ve had similar issues, including them expecting me to wait 3 months for a rear shocker. Why it is that Dobinsons can supply shocks in 2 days for half the price but FCA can’t get them here for months I don’t know.

Not sure what state you’re in, but all states have a Fair Trading/Consumer Affairs dept that exist to mediate disputes such as yours, and if necessary can hear a case and make a legally binding ruling. It would be a pain if if had to go as far as that, as it can take a fair bit of work), but here in VIC they can at least get started by contacting the dealer/FCA on your behalf and that can be enough to get things moving. I speak from experience, unfortunately. I’d suggest pursuing with FCA rather than the dealership. In my case FCA ended up sending one of their techs to meet me at a dealership. The guy knew what he was on about and clearly had a pretty low opinion of the quality of the dealer workshops.

Once FCA take ownership of a problem, I’ve found they see it though - the hard part is getting their attention.

Oh, and the lead time on parts - if the vehicle isn’t driveable, they should be escalating the order status to “vehicle off road”, which should reduce the delivery time to under a couple of weeks. I’ve been told by an FCA person previously that if it’s not flagged as urgent, they just wait till they’ve got enough parts in order to fill a container before they ship, hence the long/vague lead times.
Old 07-11-2018
Established Member

Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts

Hi lujabe,

Thank you for your supportive reply. I am in Victoria too so ....
Actually - I have just been around to All Grand Cherokee workshop in Springvale. They were VERY helpful and interested and they believe they have the parts in STOCK!!

Just have to photograph my module no. to make sure. Can you believe that???
Old 07-11-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

^ yes, I tell people that Grand Cherokees are great, but basically expect minimal to no support from the (st)ealers.
Old 07-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
^ yes, I tell people that Grand Cherokees are great, but basically expect minimal to no support from the (st)ealers.
Yep. I basically tell people buying a new Jeep is like buying a secondhand vehicle, in that you’re pretty much on your own when it comes to diagnosing problems and sourcing parts. The new 5 year warranty is only on paper - it’s meaningless without support.
Old 07-11-2018

Oh, and when it comes to sourcing parts, Jeeeparts (https://www.j-p-r.com) has a yard in Bendigo. I’ve not used them but my folks live there and my Dad’s checked it out and seems to think they have a pretty comprehensive range, plus they can source new from O/S much cheaper than FCA.
Old 07-11-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Yeah, thats crazy being unable to use the car for 4 months, is it still in warranty?

Perhaps try the Destroy my jeep complaints portal, sends the info directly to the CEO at FCA:

https://complaints.ashtonwood.com.au/