2010 JK Horn not working - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-12-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2010 JK Horn not working

Horn has not worked for several years. Had the clock spring replaced, possibly in 2018 under a recall and shortly after noticed horns not working. Don't know if it worked before the recall fix or not as rarely used them, but according to dealer when I took the JK back, the problem was another part and the fix would be around $300. Never got around to booking it in but wife has been at me recently to have it fixed, as she uses the JK as her daily driver. Before I book it in and become anxious about being ripped off, decided to do some checks. The horns work when power is supplied and fuses are good........have removed top and bottom steering column covers but before I remove the airbag to check the horn switches and clock spring does anyone know what other parts are in the horn circuit. I cannot find a relay but there must be something between the horn buttons and horns to switch the horns to a high current connection.
Old 19-12-2021
Senior Newbie

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Before delving into your steering wheel etc, maybe check that the horns are actually in working order by running a test wire directly from your battery. Should find one horn high in the engine bay adjacent to the radiator on the passenger side and one down low, same side behind the bumper or bull bar if fitted.
My 2010 JKU lower horn rusted away internally, no doubt from filling up during water crossings. The replacement then broke off and disappeared when it couldn’t cope with Gibb River Rd corrugations.
Old 20-12-2021
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

OK. So you have checked the fuses & the horns work when powered directly. Have you checked the relay? Pretty sure there is one in the fusebox for them. (Can't check at the moment.)

If you have a multimeter, you can check for continuity from the relays/fuses to the horns, as well.

The steering wheel has 4 switches for activating the horn. They connect together in parallel to plug into the clockspring. If it has not worked since the replacement, perhaps it was not plugged in correctly & is loose?

Just for reference, though, when they did mine, they told me that I had to get the steering wheel replaced because the horn didn't work... It was fine when I tested it though. Turned out the 'new' clockspring they fitted was defective & the horn worked only when the steering wheel was straight. As soon as I turned it ~20 degrees either way, the horn stopped working.

It was replaced, eventually, under warranty. (Then there was the ensuing shitfight after they scratched & damaged the plastic shrouds around the steering column, to the point where it was preventing me from removing the key!)

Last edited by Banshee; 20-12-2021 at 05:31 AM.
Old 20-12-2021
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Horns are working with direct power.
Old 20-12-2021
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fuses are fine and horns work when powered directly. There is no relay on top of the TIPM. Suspect one is buried deep inside on a circuit board as I have seen on other Chryslers. Bloody poor design having some accessible and removable, and others soldered to an inaccessible board. Perhaps an OBD2 scan will show where the fault is.
Post New Thread  Reply