Winches - Page 13 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Hot Topic of week
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-07-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Found this when poking the interwebs for winch info...
Old 27-07-2015
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

Intresting post on Witch winch retailers That do not void their "x" years warrantee as soon as you drive through a river crossing.
http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?...to-walk.25959/
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 28-07-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

I have found that one of the most important things is that the winch be easy to free spool. I see that the Avengers arnt pulling gears through grease which is suspose to make them easy to pull out. They also have the ability to engage and disengage the winch gearbox from inside the truck which would also be very handy. What other winches free spool easerly.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

My Runva 9500 is easy enough to pull out on freespool....at least .not like its something I'd be concerned about.
I bought the Runva on a combination of good feedback, proven warranty (with no problem on water ingress) and price.
Mine is purely there for that "I'm stupid, I thought I could make it" moment when I'm out camping someplace.....not for hauling me up rock steps every weekend.
Old 06-08-2015
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
Mine is purely there for that "I'm stupid, I thought I could make it" moment when I'm out camping someplace.....not for hauling me up rock steps every weekend.
I bought my T-Max 12000lb for the same reason. It's been a good winch for the price though I'm thinking of eventually replacing it with an Ironman unit.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 12-08-2015
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great thread with some good info (I am glad it has not just been hijacked by the my winch is better then yours crowd). I am torn on the idea of the best with for a tourer vs a weekend warrior or comp truck. I have had a Warn Magnum now for 8 years and needed to use it a couple of dozen times. Every year it's been serviced and I made the switch to rope with no problems. Although I am in two minds on the wire vs rope debate. It's good to see that some of the old salts like Wooders have not been sucked into the rope is just plain safer advertising. Wire if used correctly is just as safe in my honest opinion.

My question is what is the best option for solo travellers who need to winch backwards out of a situation? As a Tourer my winch is great for when I need to go forward but sometimes you find yourself in that position where you just need a little tug backwards to get out of your "good idea" at the time moment.

The way I see it you have three main options

1. The old tried and trusty HighLift jack and drag chains, very slow and the drag chains take up a lot of space and weigh a bit (touring remember so space and weight in a TJ is a premium)

2. A winch plate that mounts to a trailer hitch that can be moved to the front or the back of the Jeep. Has the advantage of being stored out of the way and out of the UV damaging sun and water crossings when not needed but still takes some setup when the Jeep could be filling with water.

3. The new ATV 4000lbs winches. Ok hear me out first before you scoff. A small winch mounted in the back fender would be perfect to get you out of the "oh crap" moment while not taking up a stack of space. You probably already have the winch extension straps and snatch blocks to do a double or triple line pull if required and you don't need a super fast winch down the back. It could also be used for pulling a boat onto a trailer, moving a camper trailer, and lowering the jeep forward for a controlled drop off that rock step.

I am just throwing my thoughts out into the web for some feedback. I know touring in a TJ is not all that common and most people prefer to winch themselves up mountains then work out the logistics of crossing the Ann Beadell, so how do you wich backwards?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1439344810.558845.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	72173  
P - pocket

Why does my jeep want to bankrupt me?
Old 13-08-2015
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts