Engine Temp - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-02-2003
Mopar or no car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp

Dave & Wen

Kramer here.

2 weekends ago I changed out my radiator because I bought a genuine XJ stocker for $280 brand new (off this forum - "TankJirl"). So I changed it out for good measure, even tho my old one is good (eventually they go...)

What that means is that I have a good secondhand one that you can "borrow" to see if your radiator is stuffed or not - without it costing u anything to try (provided you do the work urself and not the workshop). The changeover job took me an hour and a half all up, so it's no biggie. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The radiator and Jeep are in Brisbane (I only work in Melbourne during the week, but live in Brisbane).

Give me a shout on 0421 909 389 if u want to pick it up.

Kramer
Old 17-02-2003
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Engine Temp

if you electric fan is pushing more air that the clutch fan when engine is hot then your problem is that the viscious clutch on your fan is most likely failing when motor is cold you should be able to stop the stop the fan with little effort but when it is hot fan should be roaring its head off we had an Xj at chrissy time had same problem clutch fan was stuffed. At 3000 rpm could hold fan still with two fingers (motor was red hot) should have torn our fingers off changed viscious clutch and no more problems
The clutch unit can be pulled to bits and reconditioned (new oil added) but it is a fiddly job
Old 17-02-2003
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp

Thanks guys, some great ideas to try. I think the first item will be change the thermo and a good rad back flush and new coolant. If this does not do the trick, I will do the fan but I am thinking of an after market elec fan with a thermo of it own. This way I can have it cut in at about 105c where as the stock elec fan cuts in at 110c or so.
Old 18-02-2003
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp

When I was over at the 99 jambo Qld I was talking to a 4x4 shop owner from Sydney I think (Too long ago now)He did the bonnet scoop for his dad and said it was magic. A few people over this side of the world have done the alterations and swear by them. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 23-02-2003
Mopar or no car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp

Dave & Wen

sorry, something's come up and I've had to put that radiator up for sale in the for sale section of the forum, hope this doesn't inconvenience you.
Anyway, I hope it's something simple for you that's not working right, like the fan.

Kramer
Old 23-02-2003
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp

Update on the cooling problem.

I did a rad flush today and then used a treatment. The flush required me to drain the cooling system and add the flush, run for 20 mins until hot or go for a drive. Did this, let it cool, drained her again and just watch as all this mud and crap came out. There was even mud in the overflow bottle. Did a second flush using fresh water.

Will see how we go, I still have a feeling that the fan is stuffed, so may look at an after market elec fan. But for now she is running a little cooler.
Old 02-03-2003
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp

had same prob change to a bigger radiador now can go on beach all day and drive hard no prob for advice on rad give mick a call at suburban4x4 he can help you out
Post New Thread  Reply