Squealing Power steer Pump - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2022
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 82 Times in 35 Posts
Default Squealing Power steer Pump

Afternoon all

After a good run of no issues we now have a power steer pump that is squealing on full lock, the fluid level is fine with no leaks anywhere, yet on full lock she is making a squealing noise similar to a belt slipping.
Does the 2013 Diesel have a belt driven steering pump or a full eclectic job? and is there a fix for this or will it have to be replaced.
Old 04-10-2022
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,354 Times in 780 Posts

It may well be an electric over hydraulic jobby...my '12 biult MY13 is....ensure the Power Steering Fluid is LDS...not ATF...although you did say the fluid is full so Im 'assuming' no ATF has been added...its easy to see if its an electric/hydraulic deal....look straight down the radiator an engine front locale and you will see what looks like a hydraulic actuator (similiar in appearance only)...thats the electric steering component...silly place to put it on a 4WD Vehicle but, thats where it is....no 'motor' down there...its a hydraulic jobby with a belt driven pump which should be obvious in the serpentine belt drives area....but....fairly sure they are all electric over hydraulic....good luck

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 04-10-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 710 Times in 394 Posts

Yeah it'll be electro-hydraulic as Farwest described; they moved to full electric power steering with the MY17 facelift

Old 04-10-2022
No Winching

As a sideline mate....and adding in your thread of the glow plug light issue....did the squealing start before OR after the 'pressure wash'....consider possible effects on electrics if after the wash...all depends on just how 'thorough' you were doing that job....your not the first (I almost 'drowned' mums 307 Chev HT Monaro, which had HUGE blow by and pushed oil out every possible orifice when I drove it (operator 'error'), after giving under the bonnet what I thought was a 'damn good degrease') and you wont be the last to have 'pushed' water into places 'it shouldnt go' in the chase for a 'clean engine bay/underbody'....its a possibility ???

Old 04-10-2022
Senior Newbie

Liked 82 Times in 35 Posts

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies, yep its straight down the front of the engine bay but I cannot see any belts attached as I have a front protection plate on I cannot see from underneath . I will pull that off tomorrow on the sly as the caravan park I am in does not allow you to work on your car and have a closer look at whats going on. No one in Broome wants to help as they are booked out for weeks so have to push her to Port Headland and hope it lasts.
The squealing started after the wash but I did not pressure wash the engine bay just the grill and under the car.

Which belt does it run off any photos would be really appreciated.

Thanks again guys
Old 04-10-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

CT18 Concentrated Truck Wash, Grab a Spray Bottle 1part Truck wash-- 2 parts water, spray until your hearts content, Leave on to do its job, Go mow the lawn, have a cuppa, come back wash off, I always use MIST function on the hose nozzle instead of full on Pressure( That shit causes more drama,s when used around delicate electrical components. Or as Drover stated open hose and use your finger to vary the spray pattern which I find is the way to go also.
https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-care...7145055?rgfeed

Grab a cake of dry soap and rub along the grooves in the serpentine belt and along the edges, Ol bush trick for sqealling belts, works a treat

Last edited by OLMATE; 04-10-2022 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2022
No Winching

There is no belt drive for the electric over hydraulic pump...its an electric pump....the soap on the belt will quieten a noisy or slipping belt but your power steering isnt belt driven....give that 'unit' you can see a big dowsing in CRC/WD40/LANNOX/PENETRINE...whatever your flavour of water dispersant is...maybe every moving bit on the steering components could benefit from a spray of the gear...cant hurt...sounds as if the 'wash' was thorough...a li'l to thorough...no biggies

Post New Thread  Reply