Cape Trip Prep - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-10-2010
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts
Smile Cape Trip Prep

With SJC now committed to the Cape next winter I have started to consider the mods to the KJ that might make the OTL a little easier. After this year's Desert Trip and Jambo 2010, I am seriously considering some good muddies as a second set of tyres. So here is what I am thinking:

A set of Muddies maybe on AEV or MOABs rims. I saw these yesterday on a Grand that STU has modded:

I would keep my KJ alloys with the Bridgestone D694s for touring and road trips, general use, etc. The muddies would ride in my trailer to north QLd and then be put on for the trip north (likewise future Jambos etc).

Considering the ARB bar (colour coded) as I probably will need a winch if I make this a more serious machine. This will mean redoing the front suspension - I'll need different springs due to the bar weight and I might as well change the struts (still originals), maybe some JBA upper Arms and shaved CVs. Not keen on JBA coilovers as yet. I'm budgeting up to $10k.

So what think yea? What is "must have" for the OTL, what is 'nice to have', what is overkill?
Old 26-10-2010
Rated the trail

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Glan good luck, I'm keen to do a trip up ther too when mine is a little more capable and my list is as long as my arm, The bar is a def!!! I do heaps of country road driving and Roos are a nightmare, if not for roos then defs for winch, look at a premier 9000lbs winch, I'm looking at it as it is a VERY good winch with the lowest amp draw from the battery and last price I checked they were around 1000 new. My bar came colour coded already a gun metal alluminium aparently this is standard? ARB quote 200 for colour coding and 1500 for fitment including bar.... they also have a special on at the moment if you buy a bar a winch and a set of ipf's you get a free chainsaw, I think from memory around $400 mark?? could be wrong and it is a warn 9000xp winch IPf 900 sports
Old 26-10-2010
Sideways Slammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Warn M8000 will do the job.
Arb Bar
Set of lights on the bar.
Good set of rubber.
Go for the Moabs me thinks.

You've got all the other goodies.
Radio
Skids
Crd engine
Cargo barrier/dog barrier what ever one wishes to call it.
2nd batters system.
Snork

Pitty no long range tanks are av.
Old 26-10-2010
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Those are some nice Rims Glen, not sure what backspacing options there are tho. I think 4.25 is the max option on them???

CD has nice steelies, 16x8 with 5in backspacing. have alook at his. But as we said, the MOAB is perfecto!!

You could always go wacky like me and pop on the 15's with 31/10.5/15 MTZs B2 hardly knows he's wearing them..

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 26-10-2010
Spotter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cmohr,
Any downside to running with 15's that you've come across?
Cause i've stickied your thread about running with them as its on my to do list.
I think it looks hawt! And my KJ's the same color as yours!

Rossow.
Old 26-10-2010
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Stu seems to think there is one of the AEVs that will fit the KJ. I have asked Wooders about whether he can get in the MOABs. If anyone else is interested in some MOABs let me know via PM and I'll see if we can get a group buy discount (at least on shipping) assuming I can find an importer.

PS: I have located a source in the US that will sell me new MOABs for $187 USD each, of course shipping charges are the real killer on this sort of deal - waiting for a quote on that.

Last edited by glend; 26-10-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 26-10-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Sounds like your turning the KJ into a real offroad weapon Glen.Once you get all the fruit fitted you,ll have to test it out in the Watagans with us.Lugging an xtra set of rims/tyres to the cape n back sounds like a nightmare,i considered doing this for jambo but having to move and secure them every time you set up camp made me think twice.
Post New Thread  Reply