Jk 3.6 towing questions - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-07-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Jk 3.6 towing questions

hi
My wife and i are currently trying to find out new jk wrangler after owning a nissan patrol for the last 5 years.
We are tossing up between either the 2.8 diesel and the 3.6
i personally am wanting the 3.6 but my wife is worried about fuel consumption as we are wanting to do some longer trips with our caravan which is around 1400kg full
What sort of fuel consumption would i be hoping for out of a 3.6
Is there anything i should be on the look for when buying a jk

thanks
Old 26-07-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

I can't really comment on the 3.6, but I have the 2.8 CRD.

You will come to your own conclusion, but when I was researching what to buy, for me if I was going to get a JK Wrangler it had to be the CRD as it suited my needs. However I am aware that 2013+ 3.6's are solid motors with decent power and economy for a petrol engine driving a brick through the air. But when travelling (and esp towing) the CRD is much happier and more efficient doing that (If I was buying a JK to be a nice daily drive and do the odd camping trip, then yes I would've gone for the 3.6).

My setup that may help you:
- I have a 2009 CRD manual.
- It has 2.5" lift and 35" Nitto Mud Grappler tyres (each tyre and rim is 55kg each)
- Heavy duty clutch.
- 4.11 diff ratios, cruises at 110kmh in 6th at 2,200 rpm, or at 90kmh in 5th (1:1 ratio for towing) at 2,200rpm which is where peak torque is.
- 3" exhaust, dyno tuned with EGR deleted (if you have a 2010+ model then you can also get the DPF deleted at the same time).

My fuel economy:
- Daily driving to work etc everyday my economy is 11.5-12.5L/100km depending on how I drive it.
- Towing my track car (1500kg + 800kg trailer + tools, + spares, + fuel, + spare wheels and tyres, etc) and with my Jeep loaded up with food and stuff for my family to be away for a period of time (with fridge, dual batts, etc etc) (most likely over the GVM) on a 1,000km round trip recently my fuel economy was 17L/100km with an average speed of 100kmh (did plenty of overtaking too).

When I had all terrain tyres my daily driving economy was in the mid-high 10L/100km. Also if I drove more sedately and stuck to the 90kmh towing speed limit no doubt my towing fuel economy would have been better too.

But hopefully this info helps you as I feel my numbers would be the worse case scenario.

Extra info:
- The CRD's love to get hot when pushed for long periods at hwy speeds.
- Pushing them can be by running larger tyres, loading them up for long trips, towing, or a combination of these.
- The quickest and easiest way to help prevent overheating is to fit a heavy duty clutch fan (approx $80 AUD delivered from the US). This is all I have done to mine and I have zero overheating issues, highest coolant temps I see is 95 degrees when towing up a hill, otherwise daily driving its always around 78-82 degrees.
- Auto CRD's have a tendancy to overheat even more though as the trans cooler is too small from the factory and it radiates heat into the intercooler and coolant radiator surrounding it. So the best solution here is to fit a larger aftermarket trans cooler (kits go for around $300).
- Also be mindful that 2010+ CRD's have a 10 degree hotter thermostat in them, so generally speaking they don't have as much headroom as the earlier models to 'overheat', so if you're buying a 2012 model make sure you do the preventative mods to the cooling system to ensure its in the best cond and you won't have any probs when towing your caravan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180305_075555.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	77611  
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 29-07-2018
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I get 17l/100km fully loaded with 4 people and gear and towing our 1000kg camper with our 2012 JKU 3.6 Manual, 2" Lift, 33" tyres, Uneek roof rack, stock gearing with Procal corrected speedo for the tyres.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
Old 29-07-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JL
Liked 49 Times in 38 Posts

16.5L/100 @130kph
12.5L/100 @95kph
2013 3.6 manual

Post New Thread  Reply