Oil cooler bypass 2.7 crd wj - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler bypass 2.7 crd wj

as previously, i have blown 2 oil coolers i 18 months and decided to make a cooler bypass to prevent this from happening again, i believe this unit is more for heating up the oil in very cold climates rather than being used for cooling down the oil, as it is tucked in behind the timing case without any cooling airways and out of the air flow, But thats is just my opinion, Anyway i have built my first bypass and ready to bolt it on for testing, i have made the water return back to the block larger ,but left the 16mm restriction to keep the water flowing at the same rate to prevent any hot spots or cool spots, and the same with the oil gallerys to keep the oil pressure the same , i have already started my second design,which will have a cooler adaptors fitted, here are a few pics ,

Hello not sure if these downloaded, if interested just drop me a email and i will send them to you ...Happy to help fellow Jeepers ...Thanks Rod

thesourceror777@bigpond.com

Last edited by rodthejeepman777; 05-10-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KL
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Pics? I haven't experienced any dramas with mine (yet..) but if this mod can prevent a problem then I for one, am interested. any plans to make a few more?
Old 08-10-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBCJ View Post
Pics? I haven't experienced any dramas with mine (yet..) but if this mod can prevent a problem then I for one, am interested. any plans to make a few more?
Hi , do you have any pics of yours , if so I would love to see them, cheers rod ...thesourceror777@bigpond.com
Old 09-10-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sorry I replied to the wrong thread.cheers mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBCJ View Post
Hello SMBCJ, yes I have already started my second bypass, I am happy with the design, this one will have a external cooler , the only problem so far is the inside I.D of the oil cooler lines,as the oil gallery I.D of the2.7 is 16 mm which I want to run all the way to prevent any loss of oil pressure, I will have to cut and make the oil cooler intake pipes larger...cheers rod
Old 09-10-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I have fitted my new oil cooler bypass and am happy to say that it has great oil pressure, engine temp is perfect around a quarter on the guage, no leaks and everything works as usual, have driven to Brisbane to the Gold Coast and back , all is great ,very happy with result.....cheers
Old 10-11-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello again, last weekend I towed my 18 ft caravan up landcruiser mountain, the temp guage went to half way but did not overheat, but noticed the oil pressure did drop to a quarter on idle when temp was at half way,so I am definitely incorporating a external oil cooler on my second design, I think that should keep the oil a lot cooler, I think the original oil cooler, although it is running hot water through it and it is not getting any ventilation , but it must give the oil that little bit of cooling as the water temp is obviously cooler than oil temp under big load. I will let you know the results of my second cooler bypass...cheers Rod
Old 10-11-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi, the standard oil cooler does indeed cool the oil, it is a heat transfer unit that can both heat and cool the oil - depending on the ambient temperature. I'm not sure that I would bypass it without ensuring that the oil temperature stays within required operating limits (in both hot and cold conditions).

2013 Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD - White
2011 Wrangler Sport - Blue
Post New Thread  Reply