Lake Eyre - the water is coming!!!! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-02-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts
Default Lake Eyre - the water is coming!!!!

Folks, I have done many travels around this beautiful country by road, or by Jeep Cherokee, and if there is one place that took my spirit, it was Lake Eyre.

I have done several trips there over the years and I can say that there is something about it that keeps me coming back. I have walked on the dry salt crust, and I have seen it with water. I have camped on the shoreline, and been the only soul between the grandeur of THE LAKE, and the UNIVERSE on some days.

Here is a link to one of the latest media reports with the progress of floodwaters from Queensland.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...23/2498207.htm

If you are looking to do a spectacular drive, keep checking on the progress of the floodwaters. Get yourself a Desert Parks Pass, and plan a trip over there in the coming months.

The Oodnadatta Track or even the road north to Maree can be negotiated by a road car if the weather has been kind to the area. The road through Muloorina Station can be done by All wheel drive (F/T 4WD) usually - and even between William Creek to ABC Bay, but you will need a bit of Ground Clearance if going into ABC Bay [no problem with Jeeps]. If the weather has been nasty to the approach tracks, particularly ABC Bay, then P/T 4WD might be needed in a couple of wash-aways. Check with local authorities before proceeding.

It is nothing difficult, particularly in the autumn-winter time. If you plan to go in Feb-March, make sure you are well prepared, and I stress to check with authorities.

Every Australian needs to visit THE LAKE.

Last edited by eksjay; 23-02-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 23-02-2009
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

I just hope the water stays there until July when MJOC visit.
Old 23-02-2009
pink bits r good

Location: i sometimes go to my own world, but it's ok they know me there
What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am preparing a trip there in september with some others on motorbikes with the jk as back up

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
Old 23-02-2009
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heading out there in July with a few friends.
Old 24-02-2009
Full Flexer

I thought I would provide a useful link courtesy of the Lake Eyre Yacht Club

http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/
Old 24-02-2009
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking at the amount of water curently coming down towards the Lake it's unlikely that there will be enough in it to be able view from anywhere accessable by 4x4. In other words the best way to see the water & birdlife at Lake Eyre this year will most likely be by plane out of William Creek.
To fill the Lake it takes floods in 2 or more river systems to arrive similtaniously, something that is unlikely to happen this year without more heavy falls. Already rain that fell in the area earlier this year has all but dried up.
For those who like a challenge possibly the ultimate way to see the Lake is by boat following the Warburton River over 200KM downstream from Kalamurina Station. It looks like there will be enough water to navigate the river & Rex Ellis (Tour guide) normally runs outback boat trips when it does.

Old 25-02-2009
Full Flexer

Great snaps. What a paradise.

I think they also do flights to the Lake out of Marree.

I overnighted it at the Marree Caravan Park once and some pilots were handing out brochures.

Also, as a side note to the above, you can also see water on some occasions in Lake Eyre South from beside the Oodnadatta Track [Jeep Expressway]. But this would largely depend on local rain.
Post New Thread  Reply