JK Roof Rack setup - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts
Default JK Roof Rack setup

Talk to me about what roof racks you're using guys...

Why did you choose that specific system?

Does it do all you want it to?

Pro's and con's

What would you prefer?

How much did you spend?

I'm currently using canopy track but theyre only 100cm if that. I was looking at getting 120cm ones for the rear section of the roof and chopping the old tracks to 40 and putting them on the front section but I'm not convinced it's a great idea...

So I'm open to suggestion about what to get

Cheers

Sponsored Posts
Old 12-01-2018
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

rhino backbone,

pros: it to was fairly straight forward to install
the bars can be easily removed for city parking and fuel economy
Looks neat and not like your trying to compensate
Accessory mounts and parts are readily available

Downside : price
may not be as strong as some of the other Congo cage type set ups but they do at least rate there product.

I use it for an awning and carrying kayak and surfboards mostly sometimes ski gear, swag and a gazebo.

It is good haven't had any issues at all after 4 years of regular use
Old 12-01-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

Another Rhino Backbone system, with a Pioneer flat tray.

Chose it cos I needed extra storage space and wanted a roof rack that was slimline and subtle.

Pros: slimline, subtle, has 120kg load rating, compliments the JK's looks, a bit cheaper than the other high load rating roof racks (Uneek, Gobi, Garvin, etc).

Cons: the install (must drill into your hardtop), will be with your JK (hardtop) forever so you can't remove and keep for your next vehicle, makes going topless harder as the hardtop becomes very heavy (at least with the Pioneer tray up there), cost is around $1,600 for my setup so not exactly cheap either.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 12-01-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 77 Times in 53 Posts

At first, I used a Smittybilt Defender rack because it was cheap(ish), very easy to install without drilling, allows me to take the freedom panels out easily and even though it doesn't have a great load capacity (40-50kg max), I just needed it for light but bulky items.

It has high sides, is actually quite heavy and it's not very long so it makes carrying long things a pain.

I now use its brackets with the platform from an Aldi roof cage to make a DIY lightweight roof platform. The whole setup is bolted together and I use hose clamps to tighten everything to stop the movement that wiggles bolts loose. I attached four 36mm rubber door stoppers to the underside of the platform's 37-38mm space to provide some extra support in case the setup flexes. All up, it cost me about $250 if I reckon in the cost of the brackets .

It should theoretically be able to carry the similar weight but it is narrower and even though it is lower profile, it is a tiny bit noisier (but that can be fixed).

Best part of it all, underground parking garages don't scare me anymore!

Last edited by st_za; 12-01-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar fixes
Sponsored Posts
Old 12-01-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 833 Times in 583 Posts

I'm using Rhino Rack Vortex bars with a Rhino flat platform. Its cheap and does everything I need it to do.

Old 12-01-2018
Established Member

Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I went with the full Gobi rack, mostly because I really love,the look of the full racks on a Wrangler. I got mine used so paid half retail, but was ready to pay full price for the look and carrying capacity. I got the front insert and shovel/axe bracket and ladder as part of the deal, so very versatile.

Pros: Looks! I can carry pretty much everything on the rack so there’s lots of room for kid and stupid-large dog..

Cons: Hard to remove hard-top. Price. It’s heavy, so fuel consumption suffers a little bit at highway speeds (but not as much as I had expected). Parking garages need to be at least 2.1m.

Previous Jeeps: 1998 TJ Sport, 1999 XJ Cherokee
Sponsored Posts
Old 13-01-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

Another for Rhino Backbone, agree with pretty much everything said above, worth noting that I’ve had three people on top of mine when stationary and I weigh 100+kgs. Very strong rack but it does make removing the hardtop at least a three person job. Haven’t noticed any change in economy (except when loaded), looks awesome, heaps of attachemenfs available. I got mine delivered to the door for about $1100 I think off a shop on eBay (when eBay had a 10% off sale)

Also check out the new teraflex one that’s similar in mounting, supposedly quite good
Old 13-01-2018
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Rhino Backbone for me also. I throw on a Roof bag + tent with foxwing awning on the side.

Last edited by V82xist; 14-01-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 13-01-2018
AJOR Silver

Liked 122 Times in 96 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'm waiting for delivery of the Uneek rack for my JKU that I ordered in November. Yes it's exxy but it's the lightest and strongest rack that I can still use the soft and hard tops with.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk