On to the next project - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Default On to the next project

Onto the next area of work with my KJ - the rear suspension. I'll be buying a new rear upper control arm in the next month or so and installing that, but at the same time I'm keen to try a set of different rate springs.

A mate has given me a set of factory 120 Series Prado springs and having pulled out one of the KJ springs today they look to have almost identical winding for the mounts. The 120 series coils are a fair bit taller (about an inch uncompressed) but the coils have a narrower bend and thickness. Am I right to think that would mean they would have a softer spring rate but potentially similar ride height?
Old 09-05-2018
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

OooooOoOOOOooooo.........
I'm really not sure, they may be stiffer infact, I think the Prados are a lot heavier in the rear, so it could be about holding that up, but most of the ride is the shock absorbers.
I have been running the same rear coils in all three of my KJ's, (moved the same set from vehicle to vehicle as I changed KJ's) , depending on the shockies, made the difference to ride. I had some procomps in the early days, I didn't like them, the Old Man Emus, didn't last, I had CRDSTUs special extra long travel ones in there for a while, and they were in the end too hard, but the latest set of CRDSTUs long travel shocks were brilliant from day one, I think, they are getting a little soft now, might be time for some more.

My rear coils are a special custom set Stu made back in the very beginning, higher and made to hold up heavy loads all the time, they never really went into production, but were the baseline for the lifts produced later.

For real spring rates ect, hopefully there's a suspension guru that may be able to shed some light.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 09-05-2018
Established Member

Thanks Cmohr,
I find the rears currently don't seem to match the front so they feel disconnected. The rears also seemed a bit low compared to another KJ owner's that has Pedders springs so I'm keen to add about an inch or so if I can.

My current springs are uprated (300kg constant I think) so I would imagine they could have a similar weight rating to stock Prado ones. I could be wrong and will pull them out if they are terrible.
Old 09-05-2018
No Winching

If you are looking for a little bit of lift, TJ packers are a good way , they go above the black rubber perch , I'll see if I can get a pic to show you.

Old 09-05-2018
Established Member

Cheers cmohr
Old 11-05-2018
Established Member

So after borrowing a set of spring compressors I found an hour and a half to whack the 120 series Prado springs in.

Gave it a decent lift. (measurements are from bottom of the rim to the lip of the guard.
Pre-install:
Passenger side: 730mm
Driver's side: 732mm
Post-lift:
PS: 780mm
DS:785mm

So just on 2" over what I had in there, which wasn't a 40mm lift despite what it was sold as.

Before any lift:

After EFS kit installed:

Now:

The ride is firmer, but that's no big deal as it felt like it wallowed before. It actually feels better matched to the dampers than the old springs.

I'll give it a week or two to see how I like it, but seems like a decent, cheap lift option for those on a budget.

If it works out I'll put the old springs up for grabs in case someone wants an upgrade.

Last edited by a-frame81; 12-05-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling error and added photos
Old 16-05-2018
No Winching

Crikey, that's a lot of lift, may need some packers in the front clevis to level up a little.

Watch out for driveline vibrations, also , that ball joint and upper rear bushes , do, wear out quicker with higher lifts, as they are mostly almost on their max flex most of the time, ( That's how I know how to change out that rear upper boomerang, had plenty of practice with my lifts over the years. )

Let us know how it goes.

Post New Thread  Reply