Jeep Grand Commander three-row crossover SUV revealed in Beijing - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-04-2018
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Jeep Grand Commander three-row crossover SUV revealed in Beijing

Jeep Grand Commander three-row crossover SUV revealed in Beijing
Jeep has finally revealed its first three-row SUV since the Commander, and the new one is called, as we expected, Grand Commander.

And it looks just like we expected from leaked images and patent drawings. It pulls a bit of inspiration from the Jeep Yuntu concept, but it generally looks like a much bigger, stretched-out Compass. We do see a bit of Renegade inspiration in the D-pillar, though.

Interestingly, the Grand Commander isn't really bigger than our Grand Cherokee. The Grand Commander is just under 192 inches long, which is only 2 inches longer than the Grand Cherokee. But the Grand Commander's wheelbase is four inches shorter. It's also about two inches narrower than the Grand Cherokee. This is all interesting considering the Grand Commander's greater passenger capacity.

Also interesting is the Grand Commander's powertrain. It's only available with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder, likely lifted from the Jeep Cherokee and Wrangler. If so, it's been detuned, and it now makes just 231 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque as opposed to the 270 horsepower and 295 pound-feet in the other Jeeps. The Grand Commander's four-cylinder is also paired to a nine-speed automatic, and it can be had with either two-wheel or four-wheel drive.

The question of course is, will the Grand Commander come to America? It would fill a gap in the Jeep lineup, since the brand has no three-row vehicles.

There have been many rumors of a three-row Jeep, possibly called Grand Wagoneer, as well as Grand Commander prototypes running around the U.S. But the size of the Grand Commander has us questioning whether it would be brought here, or if Jeep would develop a larger three-row, maybe based on Durango, for our market.

What do you think of it?

www.ausjeepoffroad.com

Last edited by Jimmyb; 21-06-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 26-04-2018
Head Honcho

Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 27-04-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looks more like a luxury soft-roadie, wouldn't be much good for towing with only 2 litres of petrol power. Maybe the basis for a future hybrid?
Old 29-04-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Uuuuuuuuuggggggggglllllllleeeeee
Old 30-04-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

new landrover discovery from behind!
Old 08-05-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts

It is hideous but will probably sell given the lack of a 7seater in the FC lineup. Reaching for my emesis bag.

Should have been a FIAT or Dodge.

Bring back the REAL Commander. Hopefully that car will return someday in the guise of a Wagoneer.

Back to my porcelain bus....
Post New Thread  Reply