January Rant Thread - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts

I wonder if this happens much down here?

Fired Trooper Accused of Faked DUIs
By JOHN SCHRIFFEN | Good Morning America – Thu, Jan 3, 2013 9:19 PM EST

A class-action lawsuit has been filed against a former Utah Highway Patrol trooper and her superiors alleging that she filed false DUI charges during her career.

The department fired Lisa Steed in November for alleged misconduct related to her duties.

Attorney Michael Studebaker, who is one of the lawyers leading the class-action lawsuit, says he has been contacted by at least 40 people claiming Steed wrongfully arrested them on DUI or drug charges.

"Culture of corruption. The stories are just rampant," said Studebaker, who filed the lawsuit Dec. 14 in District Court in Salt Lake County.

Lawyers have yet to determine exactly how much the plaintiffs will seek in monetary damages.

One of the alleged victims was Michael Choate, who says Steed pulled him over for speeding with his wife in the car.

"She said she clocked me at 73. I said as fastest I was going was about 62," Choate said.

Choate was arrested and charged with DUI, but the charge was reduced to having an open container of alcohol in the car after a blood test showed he was not drunk. Choate says he was forced to pay $3,000 in fines to get his car back.

Choate was also upset that his wife was forced to find her own way home after his arrest.

"They dropped her off at a Burger King," he said. "She didn't have any money, she didn't have her cellphone with her. She had to borrow a quarter from a lady to make a phone call."

Steed and her attorney have not responded to requests for comment. Utah Highway Patrol says it cannot comment on pending litigation.

She is under investigation by the FBI.

Studebaker also cites a dashcam video from a 2011 traffic stop that he says shows Steed's pulling over a woman driver. The video shows the driver performing a series of sobriety tests. Studebaker says the unidentified woman passed all the tests with flying colors but was still arrested for DUI.

Charges were later dropped after a blood test found no alcohol in her system, Studebaker says. The driver has since joined the lawsuit against Steed.

Steed was named Utah Highway Patrol's "Trooper of the Year" in 2007 for making more than 200 DUI arrests, a reward that Studebaker says should be taken away from her.

Steed herself has admitted in the past that she did not follow proper protocol while administering a DUI check. At a court hearing in May 2012, Steed admitted that, while she was administering a blood-alcohol test on Theron Alexander March 2010, she removed her microphone in order to perform an unauthorized action.

An attorney representing Alexander told ABC News last year that Steed's actions could call all her cases into question.

"The cumulative facts may well have a significant ripple effect across every case she's touched," Salt Lake City attorney Joseph Jardine said in March. "This could become the basis for overturning multiple convictions in the past."

Steed's attorney, Greg Skordas, has said he does not believe that the incident is any reflection of his client's credibility.

"It doesn't affect her credibility. It affects the way she does things, her ability to follow instructions," Skordas told ABCNews.com in March. "It doesn't mean she's dishonest."

In 2009, dashcam video showed Steed stun-gunning Ryan Jones, a motorist who was later determined to be sober.

The case was settled in November 2011 when the state paid Jones $40,000 without admitting wrongdoing.

When asked about that case, Skordas said, "She took her lumps, she was reprimanded and we move on."
Old 06-01-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Sure seems it, our cops are overpowered if you ask me.
Old 06-01-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Police are not overpowered imo
Old 06-01-2013
RubiconSlammer

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted TJ View Post
Police are not overpowered imo
Yes and no.. highway patroll are a pack of overpowered killjoys revenue raisers, yes, road aulthority is a nessecary evil, but the rules are too strict, unrealistic and too often unessecary. The fact that a defect, speeding fine or red light offence etc is up to the officers disgression, which is 9/10 times completely dependent on what kind of day they are having and what sort of vechicle you are driving and their personal interests! (too many 4x4 haters)
I think you would have a lot of nerve to call the bloke doing 10 over a criminal when there are much much worse problems in this world.

The poor souls out there going to domestics, cases of child abouse, the ones who have to tell families a loved one has died on the road, the officer who works tirelessly for the greater good like those now in Tasmania with the bush fires, the officers out there cracking down on drug abuse, putting their physical and psycological health in adversity for those around them, they are the people underappreciated for what they do, they are the people I have a geat respect for.
Old 06-01-2013
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
That is a classic
Layback I have this chick on line chatting to me but I don't know what to say. Can you give me some tips? Should I ask her if she likes Helcopters?

Regards A
Old 06-01-2013
RubiconSlammer

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
Layback I have this chick on line chatting to me but I don't know what to say. Can you give me some tips? Should I ask her if she likes Helcopters?

Regards A
Hahahahahahahaha Nice!
Old 06-01-2013
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Yerr I signed to a site up much to my disgust. Now don't get me wrong I am not desperate just need something to do when AJOR is a bit on the quiet side.
I had two spunks from the US want to chat I said sorry to both as I am not forkin out airline tickets for any OS person to come and meet me, especially Yankies....Although having said I hear there are plenty of Russin women looking to be wed....Reooow

Regards A