Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think? - Page 27 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-10-2013
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausjeeper View Post
If you structure your laws properly you can actually make the world a safer place without taking away the peoples right to own guns. You don't let people drive without proper training and a license, and a proper type of vehicle that is safe in public, because it is dangerous to do otherwise.
You haven't driven around & observed the general quality of drivers on the road lately have you? There are so many who should not be allowed to be in charge of a vehicle it's not funny. I'm only alive because I'm very good at dodging the repeated attempts on my life by idiots who aren't paying attention to what they are doing.
Old 13-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusJatzman View Post
Flip side to that coin. How many are dead because of guns? I suspect a drastically higher number

The real question is how many people are dead in Australia due to a registered gun owner pulling the trigger on their registered firearm?

Sent from my Windows phone using Tapatalk
Old 13-10-2013
AJOR Bronze

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by task82 View Post
The real question is how many people are dead in Australia due to a registered gun owner pulling the trigger on their registered firearm?

Sent from my Windows phone using Tapatalk

Well that's going to go close to zero but it has never been the issue about guns. It's about only letting people have access that have a legitimate reason. Overseas, you can own a gun for shits and giggles. I don't think we need our laws that relaxed.

And the illegal guns were legal at some stage. Some one at some point stole it, filed off it's serial numbers or did something dodgy to make it illegal. No registered gun manufacturer says "Lets build this one just for the black market"..... They end up there though.
Old 13-10-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusJatzman View Post
Well that's going to go close to zero but it has never been the issue about guns. It's about only letting people have access that have a legitimate reason. Overseas, you can own a gun for shits and giggles. I don't think we need our laws that relaxed.

And the illegal guns were legal at some stage. Some one at some point stole it, filed off it's serial numbers or did something dodgy to make it illegal. No registered gun manufacturer says "Lets build this one just for the black market"..... They end up there though.
That's not right. The majority of illegal guns in Australia were imported illegally, or actually manufactured by backyarders specifically for the black market. There was a case of a batch of 200 or so glock handguns, purchased legally overseas, then imported illegally through a post office. Most have not been recovered. They don't have to have their identifiers removed to make them illegal either.

And while a bloke in his shed with a lathe isn't a "recognized" manufacturer, he is still building guns (even full auto models) that work just as well as something with a name brand in it, and it's specifically for the wrong people.

Gun control has never been about guns. It has always been, and will always be about control. The "it's for public safety" is just a convenient line that pollies can use to gain control.
Old 13-10-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat756 View Post
That's not right. The majority of illegal guns in Australia were imported illegally, or actually manufactured by backyarders specifically for the black market. There was a case of a batch of 200 or so glock handguns, purchased legally overseas, then imported illegally through a post office. Most have not been recovered. They don't have to have their identifiers removed to make them illegal either.

And while a bloke in his shed with a lathe isn't a "recognized" manufacturer, he is still building guns (even full auto models) that work just as well as something with a name brand in it, and it's specifically for the wrong people.

Gun control has never been about guns. It has always been, and will always be about control. The "it's for public safety" is just a convenient line that pollies can use to gain control.
almost wet myself laughing!

look at the import stats pre 1996 to the hand in stats and you will see less than a 1/4 of the official imported guns were handed back....then there are the guns that no import data was need...
Old 13-10-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 63 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
almost wet myself laughing!

look at the import stats pre 1996 to the hand in stats and you will see less than a 1/4 of the official imported guns were handed back....then there are the guns that no import data was need...
So you think no guns have been illegally imported since 96? If so I have a bridge in Sydney to sell you....

Guns imported pre 96 that weren't handed back make up a portion, yes. But not the largest share. To start with, most of them aren't of interest to criminals (they either aren't handguns, or aren't semi auto) and then there are the ones that are no longer operable. You do realize that guns wear out?(yes they can be repaired but when you have to illegally import the parts that fits back into my previous point) There are also the ones that weren't handed in because their owner chose to comply with the new laws and become licenced and register them. Not all of them had to be handed in.

Nice to see you read the first sentence and ignore the rest too. It guess the rest doesn't fit your view. 'll even provide a link to the story on the glocks I mentioned when I get home and on a PC instead of my phone. Legally imported guns are not the biggest source for "black market" guns.
Old 13-10-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
So you think no guns have been illegally imported since 96? If so I have a bridge in Sydney to sell you....

Guns imported pre 96 that weren't handed back make up a portion, yes. But not the largest share.
Do you have any proof? there is plenty of evidence that points out the Large majority are from legal imports no manufactured or illegal import.

Quote:
To start with, most of them aren't of interest to criminals (they either aren't handguns, or aren't semi auto) and then there are the ones that are no longer operable.You do realize that guns wear out?(yes they can be repaired but when you have to illegally import the parts that fits back into my previous point) There are also the ones that weren't handed in because their owner chose to comply with the new laws and become licenced and register them. Not all of them had to be handed in.
wrong Most pistols are semi auto or double action revolvers not single shots or single action revolvers.....there have been and will always be long arms in police raids the pistol is a choice weapon because you can hide it but thay are had to get imported illegally or to manufacture and yes i do know of the thousands of Glocks out there.......but the Marjory of police confiscations are not these plenty of stolen pistols are returning to their proper owners.

Guns wear out shit really!.......hmm must be like the 100 year old rifle in my safe....fully functioning
they only wear out if they are used and i use mine more than any crim!

i was there handing in all sorts of semi and full auto firearms in 1996 i had a licence for full autos and i could have kept them hidden like plenty of others but i didnt.......some days i think we(licensed firearms owners) should have done what the Canadians and Kiwis had done and told them to shove it.

i would still have my Bren and Uzi just for the enjoyment of shooting on range days

Quote:
Nice to see you read the first sentence and ignore the rest too. It guess the rest doesn't fit your view. 'll even provide a link to the story on the glocks I mentioned when I get home and on a PC instead of my phone. Legally imported guns are not the biggest source for "black market" guns.
the rest does not fit in with reality thats why it didnt need comment.

the Black market for illegal handguns is growing yes but its not the largest source of illegal firearms until the day the crims can import thousands in a week for decades it wont change
Post New Thread  Reply