JK: Hunty's Jeep - Page 25 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice video Hunty. Looks like you had fun, should have collected a snatch tax up there with new taxes being the order of the day lately.
Old 12-10-2011
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausjeeper View Post
Nice video Hunty. Looks like you had fun, should have collected a snatch tax up there with new taxes being the order of the day lately.
There is a snatch tax but it's not for 4wd recovery.

Top stuff Hunty!!
Old 12-10-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Smile Cairns bypass - D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzell View Post
you guys come threw cairns all ready
Hi Mate
Sorry I didnt get back intouch, my Mrs got sick and we abandoned the SJC trip early whilst at Seisa and drove straight home. hope to catch up with you at Jambo next year! - you are coming right? cheers Hunty
Old 12-10-2011
Full Flexer

Smile fat@ss & overweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Awesome awesome video. What was the reason for mounting the tire to your bullbar? I hope to get up there one day myself...
Hi Bozza
Good question mate!
I run 4dr ?inch lifted springs - squashed them almost flat D'oh I may have been between half to 1 ton over GVM, I think I had less than 5inches of travel b4 bumpstop so I decided that a that I packed way to much and that I needed to relocate some of the heavier items off the back of my Jeep, so I emptied 1 of the 2 fuel Jerry's , moved all my drag chains & heavy tools forward and lastly i relocated the spare spare tyre (Skin). worked a treat gave me enough travel on the springs / suspension so that I stopped bottoming out on the big "Dips" and fjords etc. Oh yeah there was 1 other thing that I did also..........I pulled out my marine 6 ply draws and there for sale for $5.00 must collect from Dalhunty River Bush Camp LoL - actually I discussed with one of the 4x4 bus tour guys and he said he would burn them for me in the fire in the next week or so!

so the spare tyre became also know as the hunnoizer as Hunno's cj8 required almost hourly tinkering and towing - my plan was to just come up behind it and push LoL
cheers Hunty
Old 12-10-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Just watched it right through Hunty - very jealous... The missus was very impressed and is now asking what I need to do to ours to do the same trip! If SJC do another trip in a year or so I might have to tag along from the Sunny Coast!

Not sure about accomodation though, how do you think a small camper trailer would handle the trip?

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 12-10-2011
Full Flexer

Smile How to fix 3 yellow lights of death / speed sensor

I have had a niggling fault in my JK for about the last 20,000km. Jeep has been unable to identify the problem because every time my Jeep is in for service the fault goes away! D'oh and this has really hacked me offffffff! - because the fault is;

3 yellow lights of death - fishtail, ABS and ESP and when these lights come on the cruise control won't work.

NO Cruise control for me is extremely frustrating let me explain..... when driving home from the Cape i was trying to avoid getting a speeding fine (QLD mobile speed cameras have only 1 or 2km tolerance and no warning signs) so I was driving @ 100kph 2 seconds looking at the road and 1 sec looking @ the speedo so you can imagine my fatigue with only a 3 sec loop. I got tired so I slowed down to 95kph to avoid the 3 second fatigue cycle and soon realised that this speed is more dangerous than 130kph.... let me explain..... big trucks drive right on your @ss and try to pass you in dangerous places. so now i am getting very pissy about the lack of cruise control.... I was actually happy to get into school holiday traffic just so I could just sit and steer again.

I was driving around Sydney on monday when the 3 lights of death came on so I rushed over to my favourite Jeep Dealer service (Artarmon) and asked Riz (worlds best service manager) if he could quickly plug in to my Jeep his scan gauge and and whilst the fault was there diagnose it. SADLY his scan tool was getting new software loaded into it and this would take a day or so D'OH. I then went to Mosman Jeep Service and thankfully the fault lights were still on when I got there and they were able to tell me that the fault was coming from the front drivers side speed sensor - of course they didnt have 1 in stock so I ordered one from melbourne! ($55 bux)

Replacing the drivers side front speed sensor is a fairly easy and straight forward job took me 30 min - you will need a 21mm spanner to release the disc brake assembly and a 13 (I think) to remove the 3 unusual shaped bolts that hold the hub / unit bearing - you will need to pull out the front drivers side drive shaft just an inch or 2 to allow you to get the speed sensor out around the disc brake protector plate / dust deflector and an allen key to release the sensor itself.

1. Jack up Jeep (Safely)
2. Remove wheel
3. Remove disc brake assembly
4. Remove 3 bolts that hold the unit bearing / front hub
5. Pull driveshaft out a couple of inches (30 - 40mm)
5. Using an allen key remove bolt from speed sensor and gently prise up and out the speed sensor
6. Carefully remove the speed sensor wiring clips etc so the wiring is all free
7. TIP I couldn't reach the plug to unplug the old speed sensor so heres what I did - I carefully pulled the old speed sensor of the rear of the shock tower - all you have to do is pull gently its only held with soft christmas trees - and feed it forward towards the radiator until you can easily see and unplug the old sensor -its one of those stupid jeep locking plugs * be careful the plastic will probably be brittle from the engine bay heat - you don't want to brake the special locking system. unplug old sensor
8. Connect new sensor
9. feed the sensor and wiring back the same way you pulled the old on out
10. push the new sensors plug christmas trees into the rear of the shock tower.
11 Reverse steps 1-5.

I jumped into the drivers seat and started my jeep up all excited to see the 3 yellow lights now off and damnit they were still on D'oh - thankfully after driving for about 50meters the 3 lights went out and I havent seen them since and the cruise control now works faultlessly! YAAAAA

I fully expected to find some evidence to suggest the old speed sensor was dead - previously (Sunday night when I got home from the Cape) I pulled out the speed sensor to see if it was dirty etc and it was immaculately clean, so when I pulled the sensor out this arvo I expected to find some physical damage to the cable / sensor...... I closely examined the sensor and every mm / inch of the wiring and no visible damage at all - my suspension doesnt put any strain on the wiring even at full droop so I dont expect to find internal cable damage - there will be a post mortem LoL - I havent had chance to put a meter over it yet (I will soon) but to my eye the old sensor looks just fine
If I can do it you can too - cheers Hunty

Last edited by hunty; 29-10-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Camp trailer - no probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Just watched it right through Hunty - very jealous... The missus was very impressed and is now asking what I need to do to ours to do the same trip! If SJC do another trip in a year or so I might have to tag along from the Sunny Coast!

Not sure about accomodation though, how do you think a small camper trailer would handle the trip?
Hi Mate
We had a Disco4 with a 1 ton camp trailer (Ultimate Gold plated something - $60k) very very nice! tag a long and it made it through the OTT - we all gave him advice over the CB as he was traversing the more difficult stuff but he was a great driver and he & the disco 4 did it very comfortably!
Heres a video of the disco & camper sliding on down into Palm creek - the first major challenge at the start of the OTT
enjoy cheers Hunty

Last edited by hunty; 13-10-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply