Grand Willys Project - Page 254 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Going to miss this serial when it is done but so looking forward to seeing the final product. What are you going to do with your days when it is over

Thanks, as always, for sharing your thoughts and work. It does inspire other tinkerers like me.

DG
Old 05-04-2021
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguintas View Post
Going to miss this serial when it is done but so looking forward to seeing the final product. What are you going to do with your days when it is over

Thanks, as always, for sharing your thoughts and work. It does inspire other tinkerers like me.

DG
Wife will have me back on house renovations!

Least until I start building a Hotrod for her.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 10-04-2021
LokRinger

Starting on the stake pockets. I am doing a pre-stretch for the 19 mm-3/4" bead roll that goes up the centre. Using a high crown anvil on the bottom and only running where the bead will be. To determine exactly how much I need to do I simply measured my test piece, which I hadn't pre-stretched, and saw that it had pulled the sides in 2 mm compared to the ends where there was no bead. So just kept wheeling until it increased the width by 2 mm.

Here is what is looks like after the bead was rolled. The bead ends still need to be rounded and the fold each side of it increased slightly.

Just using a piece of old water pipe to round the ends of the bead. The sides of the bead were just run along with the chaser. If the bead runs right to the ends of the piece you wouldn't need to pre-stretch. Just would have to take the shrinkage into account beforehand for you final measurements.

Folded the flanges over which straightened them out completely.

Using the shrinker and the stretcher on the flangers I was able to follow the pattern exactly.

All four done and look like they match well enough, especially since they will be six feet apart once mounted. You can also see where I marked where to switch from stretching to shrinking to make it curve one way then the other.

I folded up the rest to the sides and then laid the front piece over it. Scribed along the edge and cut the sides to match the curves. I tacked on both sides before the final welding to keep one side moving more than the other. I time my tacks to exactly between the initial heat expansion from the last tack and tack the next one before it tries to shrink past where it started. No stopping to hammer the tacks this way.

TIG welded in a quick single pass. Using 1.2mm lanthanated tungsten with 1.2mm mig wire for a filler rod to weld this 1.2mm steel.

To stretch the weld afterwards I used either a flat stake, or this shoe last inside the stake pocket. It depended if it was high or low along the weld line. Any low spots I jammed one end of the stake pocket into my chest while pulling down hard at the other end. This creates a upward force that needs to be greater than the hitting down of the hammer or flipper to raise the low area.

Came up pretty well I think. I have also now folded the extra I had at one end to make flanges to plug weld the stake pocket to the underside of the bed roll.

The stake pocket for the cab end I have integrated a end cap for the bed roll. The side is also wider as will be spot weld to the flange I turned at the end of the bed sides to make it double thickness. The end panel will then bolt through this flange.

My web site:
Old 11-04-2021
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I was going to make a joke about the lack of detail but couldn't in good conscience do that because this is probably above and beyond what many would do.

Details like this demonstrate true craftsmanship.
Old 11-04-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

beautiful work
Old 13-04-2021
LokRinger

Many thanks for the replies.

Latest update on the build.

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 13-04-2021 at 08:36 PM.
Old 24-04-2021
LokRinger

Stake pockets welded on. This is the cab end so you can see how the integrated end cap worked out.

Spot or resistance welded on except for the flange under the top roll. Holes had been punched in it and then plug welded closed.

The other end shows the 50mm-2" set back on the stake pocket so the tailgate can sit flush with the end of the bedsides over the floor.

The belled/dimple died holes are to give access under the rear guards to the shock and swaybar mounting bolts on the chassis. This way they can be changed out without removing the bedsides.

Making the front panel. I first turned the first and second folds. As with the second one, the third can't be folded all the way as it hits the side of the channel.

I squared up the edge of the top angle iron to get a matching radius on the fold. The flipped the panel over so I could then continue the fold hitting upwards the rest of the way.

It has taken three sheets of 1.2mm-18# CRS, (Cold Rolled Steel), to build the bed so far. Same gauge as stock. There is enough left over to make all the bottom skirts, steps and rear roll pan as well. The tailgate too if I use the original pressing and add new top and bottom rolls to it.

I'm liking the proportions very much so far.

My web site:
Post New Thread  Reply