Grand Willys Project - Page 259 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-06-2021
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

Shmick.....
Old 01-07-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

Looks Great Gojeep well done!
Old 02-07-2021
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
The lights didn't look too bad before but this looks way better. When you go back to the original concept they look a lot like pimples on a bum.

Is there going to be a lower valence to cover the spare wheel or are you going to leave it like this?
A roll pan to go under the valance to hide most of the spare as well as a place to mount the number plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace1 View Post
Shmick.....
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ6np435 View Post
Looks Great Gojeep well done!
Thank you.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 09-07-2021
LokRinger

Just showing some of the CAD, Cardboard Aided Design, I went through to come up with a shape for the rear bed panels. I thought this was too boxy and low.

This was too much the other way and the spare shows more than I like.

This was the depth I liked for the skirts but the licence plate hanging off the end looked like an after thought.

The plate held in by the hitch pin was my original plan, but looks too crowded with everything in a row.

Just dropping the centre down hid more of the spare tyre, but had a bit of a soiled nappy/diaper look to it.

So decided on the lowest drop in the centre while still doing a step around the plate and lights. This step is 5mm-3/16", the same as around the taillights and the factory put in the doors and back of the cab.

I tipped the flange in the bead roller using the metal bottom V groove die, but have never liked how it leaves a crease, so rarely use it. Can see I have a lot of flattening out to do yet even though I stretched the inside corners and shrunk the outside corners before tipping.

I bent up a piece of flat bar the same width as the space between the step and the flange. It is upside down here and been hammered into the back of the outside corners. This flattens it and the stretching there means I will have less shrinking to do on the edge of the flange.

Tacked the bar to the table so I could slowly work the flange over it. Can see one end is most of the way there.

There was still two small tuck shrinks being slowly worked down the flange. Cut the bar short so I could do the inside corner. The edge of the flange there needed to be stretched for it to sit down flat. Used the rounded ends of the bottom hammer for that area and the top hammer was used for the rest of the flange.

Got it sitting nice a flat now so can move onto the next step.

I made the rest of the roll pan from pieces from the valance I first made. The radius around the exhaust outlets were also done with the same step roller dies and then the centre cut out. Keeps it all nice and uniform.

Once welded together I made new mounts for the parking sensors, outside ones with built in heat shielding. They will end up flush on the outside. Also a bracket for the factory Mopar trailer plug from the donor. It is easily accessible but not seen once in place.

Thought this was the best compromise with covering enough of the spare tyre and spreading out everything for some balance. It is all wired and working which means the last of the chassis wiring is completed.

My web site:
Old 09-07-2021
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I like it, looks way better now.
Old 10-07-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

That came up a treat!

As I was looking through your CAD iterations my mind was looking at the "nappy" version thinking "almost there - but maybe move the plate lights to either side and make the drop less".

I kept scrolling and that's exactly what you had done.

Great work as always. She's really coming along now

Just an afterthought of mine - how high is the tow hitch going to be off the ground? It looks fairly high in that image, but could just be the angle of the photo?
Old 10-07-2021
LokRinger

Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENAMON View Post
That came up a treat!

As I was looking through your CAD iterations my mind was looking at the "nappy" version thinking "almost there - but maybe move the plate lights to either side and make the drop less".

I kept scrolling and that's exactly what you had done.

Great work as always. She's really coming along now

Just an afterthought of mine - how high is the tow hitch going to be off the ground? It looks fairly high in that image, but could just be the angle of the photo?
I literally got down to the last 10mm in difference to see what worked the best! Glad it is what you would have done as well.

Bottom of the hitch hole is 700mm from the ground and my offroad trailer hitch is 580mm. So will only need a 120mm drop to keep it level.

My web site:
Post New Thread  Reply