Track bar (panhard) movement at chassis end - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-11-2023
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Track bar (panhard) movement at chassis end

G'day All
I know the Death Wobbles is done to death on these forums and never would I have thought I would be writing about them of my own 08 JK CRD!
I have recently started getting a bit of a wobble on at about 90-90kph. Had the tie bar adjusted recently as I fitted a new Teraflex HD tie bar. Also had all four wheels balanced.
So read a few threads and had a look at my track bar bushes.
Would someone with a bit of experience of the OEM track bar be able to judge if this bush in the video is cactus please? 308,000kms on the clock, never been replaced.
https://clipchamp.com/watch/c9ua8X03oH8

Cheers
Old 29-11-2023
Senior Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Good morning everyone
i would say yes, to replace immediately....
Giacomo
Old 30-11-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Given the 308000KM on the clock, which is commendable and "never been replaced" comment, and i assume you bought the vehicle new, then it's a wonder you haven't had DW... altho i suspect u bought the vehicle 2nd hand and so the original owner did.

I have had 2 deal with DW in my 07 JKU 3.8L. Yes there are lots of experts, but this is what I did. Important to treat DW as a "whole of system" problem and not just 1 component. Have not had DW for years since.

I replaced the top and bottom front ball joints to better quality ones that could be greased. This was singularly the most important change. To check wear, with vehicle on a jack get a long handle shovel and put under tyre which is barely off the ground, get down on your knees, press down on shovel handle and see if there is movement in the ball joint... likely is. Both sides. But why bother to do this...if they are OE ball joints they will be stuffed for sure.

I also replaced the Pitman arm, Tie Rod, sway bar, steering links, upper and lower control arms, and put a better steering dampener on. The OE steering dampener is good but if OE will be stuffed for sure. And you might as well change it while u r doing the rest of it...

Make sure you ALSO replace all the bolts and nuts. Check that there is no wallowing out of bolt holes. Bolt shanks will be worn for sure, reducing the possibility of a tight fit... any looseness will predispose to DW. From memory, some of the bolts on the tie rod, sway bar etc are too small for the OE holes, so may need to put in wider bolts to ensure they fill the bolt holes. Any gaps will lead to DW.

While u r at it, put better quality front sway bar links: the OE ones r piss weak (JKS quick release is what I have fitted). Never had a problem with OE rear sway bar links.

Now, you could just change all the bushes in these components (Nolathane rather than rubber...yes here we go...), but the cost to do this would work out not much less than fitting upmarket components that come with already fitted bushes.

If you have a lift in excess of 2inches, DW much more likely to occur. I put HD Lovells springs front and rear on my JKU to give 2 inch lift. These are the same length as OE but heavier gauge steel to give the lift. These springs were supported by Jeep as solution to problem. It wasn't entirely since other contributing factors but Jeep seemed 2 believe that lift heights >2 ins was main culprit. Once u go over 2" lift height at front, DW all but certain. Did have a tiny bit of DW when first fitting the Lovell front springs but none now since the springs have probably settled down a bit and lowered the height slightly.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 30-11-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 30-11-2023
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

G'day Humdinger
Well thanks very much for all that detail very much appreciated. And what you have said all blends pretty well with what I am writing below.
Yes had the JK from new, and here is a bit of history (I've kept a log since the 175k km warranty expired).
195k km - Had to replace OEM upper and lower ball joints for Road Worthy after moving to QLD. I used the Synergy ones (greaseable).
196k km - replaced the Pitman arm ball joint wth a MOOG greaseable.
197k Km - replaced the drag link with a "cheap" aftermarket one (the brand begins with "C").
208k Km - replaced the complete tie rod, again with the "C" brand (if only I knew better).
209k Km -the drag link was stuffed already (not the MOOG ball joint, that was fine). Fitted a MOPAR one this time.
So everything is good with me greasing all ball joints every 10k service.
Then:
286k Km - the cheap "C" tie rod ball joints are stuffed, the fixed one in particular. Found it almost impossible to get hold of a MOPAR one so bit the bullet and purchased the Teraflex HD with the new Teraflex steering damper. Took a while to get hold of it so I finally fitted it at 296k km.
So you see all of these replacements etc.. may have warded off the DW's up till now. I think you are right about the upper and lower ball joints being one of the main issues, they are a bugger to replace and most would not have even attempted it I reckon...
I've ordered a couple of Superpro bushes for the front panhard but am seriously looking at the control arm bushing as well..
I have replaced the sway bar bushings as well btw. But will look into those sway bar links you mentioned.
I have no lift btw, all stock height, I want to keep it stock height as I fitted the Garvin wilderness Expedition rack on so getting into car parks with less than 2.0m of clearance is already an issue.
Do you have any recommendations on stock length control arms? I know I will have to replace the upper bushings in the Dana axle but the lowers could be a straight swop. I don't want adjustable anything.. just stock length.
Thanks again for the reply
Kiteman
Old 30-11-2023
Full Flexer

I replaced my control arms with the Mopar ones I think... haven't got the receipts anymore, but Crown ones are the same and cheaper. Should be able to get all you want from Quadratec (USA) but probably now could get from suppliers here (Repco, Pedders etc) for less price than from the USA nowadays. I know I got all the bushes for suspension from local Repco a few yrs back when it was done. None of my replacement stuff is adjustable... left as it was OE. Definitely change the control arm bushings cos these take a hell of a beating.... think about it...

If u dont have a lift and have done all the things u have done, barring that some things might now need changing cos of wear and tear since, i think check that there is no ovalling out of bolt holes etc and if there is fit bigger bolts cos it could be that this little bit of movement is causing the problem. Make sure that everything is tighter than a fish's arse, too!!!

Can't help much more than this. I did in fact change all of the suspension bushes a couple years ago...

Cheers
Old 01-12-2023
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

That's all good Humdinger and thanks Giacomo for your comment also.
I've got a pretty good understanding of all the components involved and will work my way through replacement schedule as my budget allows...
I'll do the control arms next, will decide on replacing the bushes or the whole arms, I see the MOPAR ones on Quatratec are dirt cheap, probably not the same can be said for purchasing from a dealer in Oz..
Thanks again all.
Kiteman
Old 01-12-2023
Full Flexer

"I see the MOPAR ones on Quatratec are dirt cheap, probably not the same can be said for purchasing from a dealer in Oz.."

You r so right!!! though prices are reasonable from other than Jeep dealers. As I say most bits could b sourced from spare parts dealers and much cheaper than from a Jeep stealer ship.
Post New Thread  Reply