JK: Hunty's Jeep - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Smile Stupid Stupid BAS, ERM,ESP,BLDL,ABS blah blah blah - kill switch

Who could believ 1 little red switch could bring such pleasure - I di dthe crazynuts mod

A long long time ago (sep 09) I was wheelin on Fraser island in high 2 running along at 80kmh the legal speed limit on the island - I was driving with some Toymota's & Missuns -and went over a gentle little sand mound -the car lunged a little and then the stupid Jeep JK took some of my accelerator and then started to apply the brakes - 20sec latter I was in 1st gear trying to build up some momentum again this happened repeatedly and seriously pissed me off - so I tried 4x4 high same thing happened - so I tried holding the esp button for 7 sec to try and disable the annoying stop and go slow bloody useless @$#%#@& JK computer - this worked well untill i hit 40kmh and the @#$%$#@ thing cut back in and continued to piss me off!!! so I tried 4x4 low range with the 7sec esp button application and I was away again following my mates - im now driving @ 75kmh in low range 6th - great!!! the tacho was in the 3000 - 4000 range - so what I thought - well 10 min latter I looked at the fuel gauge and I swear i could see it moving - so I interigated the l/100 and discovered to my pain that the normal 10 - 13.5l/100 I normally get was steadily climbing and after only 10min @ 75 in low 4x4 6th the gauge read 18.5 - ouch!!!! so wtf was i to do - fuel is about $2.00 litre on Fraser!
The next time i was on Sand - i was on stockton beach - i needed to snatch a friend in his disco - heres what happened - I connected the strap backed up to his bumper and hit it hard - the disabled disco (poor useless v8 had died from heat exhaustion) was instantly plucked out so i decided to try and pull him off the beach and back to the road - so as not to incur a huge towing charge to recover his vehicle - well you guessed it first sign of wheel spin and I got brakes and throttle cut - thanx very little Jeep JK!!!!!!!!!
last but not least I was driving up to the freeway from gosford (winding uphill road) and some fool in a gas barby powered nissun overtakes me - so given my aussie red blood and stubborn jeep pride I decided he was not going to just pass me in 1 of the corners so I booted it and you guessed it - the yellow light of death flashed a few times on the dash & the stupid jeep jk computer was getting scared - i think the g force calculator / sensor $4!t$ itself above 50kmh - anyway as i watched the nissans rear end disappear i could only think of what could have been if the @#$#@# thing would just $#@#$ off!! and let ME DRIVE MY CAR!!!!!!!!!! - (ok - im calming down now)
alright let me get to the point
I fitted a red light / switch to my dash and wired it up according the Great "Crazy nuts" post on how to deal with the esp bas erm & abs - and now i am sooooooo happy
thankyou "Crazy nuts" you are awesome!!!!!!!!!!

I can now wheel as hard as I like and if I choose to - I can stop the JK's computers messing with my ride!
cheers Hunty

Last edited by hunty; 04-08-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile UHF/AM CB Radio install - into top of dash

I finally got around to installing my CB (cut the cables ties that were holding it onto the top of the dash LoL)
I have looked and looked for a CB with a remote control on the Mic that I could bury behind the dash but alas I could not find 1 that would do both the old 27Meg & UHF - I really get a lot of valuable highway information from the truckers country folk that still use 27Meg - so I decided to see if I could cut my Uniden 95sx dual band (UHF & 27meg) into the top of the panel.

Step 1 Mark it out carefully - LoL
Step 2 Remove the top by prying of the top plastic cover - rear first!
Step 3 Remove - unplug the Compass / direction sensor
Step 4 Using a sharp knife carefully cut out the top of the stereo
Step 5 Same Knife - cut the plastic top
Step 6 Test fit
Step 7 reconnect compass / direction sensor
Enjoy
cheers Hunty

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile More switches - YES I am an addict - need 12 step plan! help!

I wanted to add some switches to control;
Winch master power
Rear work Light
Arb Compressor
Front Spotlights
Map Lights
Fridge
CB GPS etc
I decided to install the daystar 4 rocker switch panel but I still wanted more switches - so on a recent SJC trip to the watagans I saw inside the trip leaders JK and noticed he had a nice commercial box installed above his mirror - that gave ma an idea - so (I'm guessing for a fraction of the cost)
I bought a second Daystar panel ($40 off Ebay USA including the switches fitted) and cut it down to fit the space above my mirror
Step 1 - Carefully measure the top panel and cut out a hole to install the daystar
Step 2 - cut down the daystar panel - as per pic
Step 3 - Test fit
Step 4 - Complete the wiring
Enjoy - Cheers Hunty

ps - I have since burried the cb in the top panel.
Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Rock sliders & Snorkel

I finally decided to give my JK some cool clean air to breath so I jumped onto Ebay and bought the "direct4x4accessories" fed through the top of the bonnet edition - delivered for under $300 plus they gave me a free tactical police style led torch!

I was very nervous about cutting into my beautiful JK body to install this so I applied the old adage "measure twice & cut once" - even still I was $hitting myself when I began to drill.

The instructions that came were very good! so I will just add my 2cents and hopefully anybody who reads this will benefit a little bit from my stress LoL

I held the Snorkel in place against my Jeep just to see how it looked and to discover if my light bar would get in the way - and I soon realised not only it would get in the way but also my Mirror relocation brackets would also!

So the mirror relocation brackets are up for sale $50 and there yours - (just pm me).

I started early this morning and the bonnet was still a little wet - which was good because when I laid the supplied template on the bonnet it immediately stuck!

The instructions said to lay it (the template) 19mm from the indent made for the hood latch - but I (stupidly) did not trust this - so I went to great lengths to move the template around until I thought it was in the perfect position wasted about 30min doing this and after I had finally placed it where I thought it looked best - i measured it to see how far different I had it compared to the instructions and %uck me it was exactly 19mm from the latch LoL LoL.

I then got my pocket knife and traced out the template pushing just hard enough to scratch my Jeeps bonnet - see picture - I also centre punched the jeep for the hole saw!

Next I cut the holes - and yes people I know I used a wood hole saw D'oh! its all I had!

I went to bunnings and bought an angle grinder and very thin cutting disc - both on special cost less than $20 for both!

Tip 1 I removed the bonnet insulation so I could see what I was cutting into - it was quite easy - just carefully prise off the 3 stupid plastic christmas tree type fasteners.

TIP 2 when cutting with the angle grinder the steel of the bonnet will get very hot so I chose to cut with the garden hose running water onto the bonnet to keep it cool and prevent the paint from melting! - which I can assure you will if you don't keep it cool and then there will be tears LoL

I assembled the snorkel and attached all the mounting hardware - sealed it all with heaps of black silicon type stuff - also from bunnings

Lastly I riveted the supplied trim to the bonnet to finish off the job

Best of all - I have been driving around Sydney this morning for work and
I noticed on my scan gauge that the air temperature flowing into my engine was around 29 degrees C - the abient temp in Sydney at the time was 26C - which got me a barred up because I normally observe the air temp going into my engine any where from double the ambient to 86 - 90 degrees C !!!!!!!!!!!!

So if any of you have any smarts when it comes to the fuel efficiency of colder more dense air - I would certainly like to know if I can expect better performance and or better economy? now my engine is sucking down air thats at least 50C cooler

Lastly as you can see from the pix I need to make up 2 little black spacers for the windscreen pillar mount to keep the snorkel of my light bar - I just used 2 packets of washers this morning - so technically its still a work in progress!

Cheers Hunty

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Evidence for the Coroner! LoL

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Oil Pressure Gauge & A pillar Mount Mod

I threw a big end bearing 9,000km's ago and Jeep rebuilt my engine under warranty - I suspected it was an oil pressure / feed prob but the guys at Jeep service didnt - so less than 1000km's later threw another big end bearing - thankfully Jeep gave me another short motor and this time fixed the oil problem! under warranty !!!!!!!

So I decided at the very least I should keep an eye on the oil pressure!

1. spent too long looking around under the JK bonnet for the sender.
2. Gave up because;

a) - didnt want to disconnect the factory sender. - do want to get any factory alarms
b) - didnt want to put a Tpiece on the factory sender - wouldnt fit either.

3. looked on ebay for a sandwich plate adapter $20

4. simple install - just remove the oil filter and screw the adapter in
5. connect up gauge in cab! - too easy LoL

Added bonus - the sandwich plate adapter has 2 spare connectors - so in future if i wish i can add another oil cooler!
enjoy
cheers Hunty

Old 06-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Trying to Keep Satan's Sauna Cool

Hey all
as those of you with JK's know all to well , Satans sauna resides under most of our bonnets!

Whilst I was installing my snorkel the sleeve of my T-shirt got caught on one of the little clips that holds the radiator over flow pipe and with virtually no force at all it snapped off!
Upon investigation I discovered that the plastic is extremely brittle - and I put that down to the fact that it is @#$%'n hot under there!

Solution
$1.00 bonnet scoop (Ebay of course) + postage

As some of you already know I installed my snorkel and after you have made one giant hole in the bonnet a second smaller one isn't that scary! LoL - ok yes it is - I think I will always $hit myself when I attack my beautiful Jeep with an angle grinder

1. Mark out a suitable area - I decided that just behind the bonnet re in-forcing - ie between the strap attachment point and the windscreen water jet would be overall the best place - I certainly was not going to cut into the bonnet sub frame!

2. Using a very thin disc cut out the desired area - be very carefull when cutting with a disc as the heat build up will melt your bonnet paint - i ran a hose on the bonnet whilst I cut to dissipate the heat

3. Good luck trying to find the centre of the bonnet - I guessed it with my eye - it looked wrong - I measured it with a tape - still looked wrong - I think its because the rubber windscreen stoppers are not exactly in the centre of the water jet or?????
anyway I just threw 2 "L" plates on the bonnet and peeled off the double sided tape backing and with my fingers crossed and a prayer dropped the scoop on the bonnet!

4. in hind sight - I should have spray painted the scoop first - I originally thought why bother painting a black plastic scoop on a black plastic Jeep LoL

Cheers Hunty

Post New Thread  Reply