JK: Hunty's Jeep - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-03-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Smile Bye Bye Scan Gauge!

Yes!
Finally!
My view (skyline) out of the front windscreen of my heap has changed for the better - its now a lot less cluttered!!!.
It was a custom order - I bought back in January - was beginning to wonder if it was going to ever arrive - I ordered Red display and black bezel / surround - to match my red / Blk Jeep!
Hello new Aeroforce Gauge!

I changed for several reasons
1. way more functions on the Aeroforce!
2. there was no really good place for the scan gauge - i tried it on the steering column and on the dash in several places.
3. the Aeroforce gauge fits nicely into my A pillar gauge pod - sweet!

I will write it up in more detail after I have had chance to evaluate it
cheers Hunty

Last edited by hunty; 16-03-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 16-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Wired HDH switches

Wired HDH Switch install

I bought the Wired HDH's to solve my switch needs - it will operate 8 devices;

The stupid daystar rockers were for me, a complete fail ! - every time I changed gear (1st,3rd or 5th) the switches would be activated by the gearstick

as any JKer knows there really isnt a lot a switch available real estate so the WiredHDH will be very popular amoungst Jeepers

I wanted to control;

Front Locker
Rear Locker
ARB Compressor
Winch Master isolate
Winch bar spotties
Roof bar spotties
Rock lights
Rear spottie / work light

The System comes with a thin membrane type switch panel, a small ribbon cable and a black box for all the connections. also comes with cable + connectors and circuit breaker.

There are solid state connections for the 8 outputs, these are rated @ 2.5amps each and are continuously monitored by the cpu and if overloaded will cut out, they will cut straight back in when the current returns to <2.5a or the problem / short circuit is fixed!

There are connections for 12v+ 12v- permanent feed from battery - circuit breaker included
and a connection for 12v in feed from acc position on ignition key.

All 8 outputs can be programmed to be ACCessory dependent or ACCessory independent.
All 8 switches can be programmed to be on/off or momentary.

The Wired HDH system continually monitors batt voltage and will shut off Accessories (all 8 outputs) when the voltage drops to <11.5v

Armed with a bottle of Sm@rt@ss pills I began to plan the install!
I decided that I did not require the ACC interlock option because I wanted to be able to use any of the 8 outputs independent of the Jeeps ignition.

Thats when the smart @ss pills kicked in -LoL
In my previous installation I wired my winch master power relay through a simple key switch - I did this because I did not want anybody using my winch without my permission'

(I was mainly thinking of my L & P plate kids, stupid mates and all the urban myths that tell of landcruisers having there winches hotwired and connected over the roof to the towbar and left by hoodlums to eventually fold in half).

Then I realised that if a mechanic, parking Valet, dum@ss mates or kids were driving my Jeep that I did not want them using any of my 8 accessories either - especially the lockers!!!

so I wired the ACCessory 12v input to permanent 12v+ supply via my key switch and programmed all 8 accessories to be Accessory 12v input dependant! - Yes! SM@RT @ss pills at work!

So when I turn off the Key switch all 8 outputs are disabled! -
I still retain the ability to re program the HDH (very simple button push sequence) so any or all 8 outputs effectively bypass the key switch lockout!

One of my next projects is to install a dual battery system but until I get it installed I can count on my new Wired HDH switch controller to kill my winch master relay at 11.5v thus saving my entire electrical system and Battery!

"Brilliant" thats all I have to say to the WiredHDH company!
cheers Hunty

ps
I still have a little finishing off to do under the bonnet the stupid Jaycar 60a circuit breakers cannot survive Satans sauna and I need to install a bit more convoluted cable protection!

Last edited by hunty; 17-03-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 20-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Spotted Noah floating by in his Ark this morning!

Jumped into my heap this morning and noticed that the Mrs had her own footspa! lol
Jeep have had a go at stopping the roof top leak twice and will get another opportunity latter this week!

so in the meantime I bought the factory original "Jeep spares" OEM .......

tarp!

Old 24-03-2011
Full Flexer

Smile Going UP! - in JKS Acos style + New RE Springs

Hi Guyz
Just thought I would post up a little How to;

Install Rear JKS Acos adjustable height spring spacers and front rubber spring spacers and new heavy duty springs

I drive a 2dr JK and pack a lot stuff into it, the 4inch lift springs that I installed over 2yrs ago have sagged to possibly less lift than a std 2" lift - Im sure it had nothing to do with my Mack truck bull bar & winch or the 200kg of equipment, drawers, bars,rooftop tent I often drive around with LoL

I have been playing around with my springs now for nearly 6 months,
I have tried various Heavy duty & std duty springs and have decided that the Rubicon Express 4" springs suit me and my driving style pretty well!

I bought some spring compressors to make the job easier and have used them several times now on my Jeep and also several times on friends rigs whilst out on the trails wheelin to repair / replace adventurous springs LoL I don't enjoy using them - I find them spring compressors a PITA - however they do make the job possible just parked in a driveway (not on a hoist)

I do all my work myself and usually I do it in my driveway (as I dont have a garage or hoist) - so this write up assumes you don't have access to a hoist either.

Because I find the spring compressors to be a PITA I decided this time to try and change the springs without using them! (Famous last words) so I swallowed another fistful of sm@rt@ss pills and began by placing my JEEP IN LOW 4 IST GEAR and chocking the wheels,

I always take off my doors when jacking with my high lift jack just in case the jack slips, as I don't want to scratch or ding my doors.

I decided to change the passenger side first as from experience I knew that its the easiest side.

Firstly I disconnected the front and rear sway bar then I unbolted the rear lower shock bolts and free'd up some more slack in all the brake lines- this gave me the ability to jack up my Jeep so far that the springs could just fall out - and thankfully fall out they did, thus saving me the PITA spring compressors! YAY!

I drilled several holes into the rear top spring mounts to bolt the Acos spacers into, bolted them up and installed my new springs.

Then I went to the front and carefully slid the rubber spring spacers up the bump stop shaft and installed my new springs.

Jacked my Jeep back down and adjusted my rear track bar to centre the body over the wheels.

I am very happy with the result, my Jeep looks a little tougher now LoL - I will post up early next week to report how it drives both on road and Off road wheelin.

Things to keep in mind;
Jacking safety - don't get under your Jeep unless you have solid jack stands.

When Jacking it up to crazy height, as I did to ensure the springs just fell out, continuously check to ensure you don't stretch or damage your ABS wiring!

When drilling holes for the Acos spring spacers be careful!!!! - there are wires running over the top of the rear spring mounts which you could easily drill into!

When setting the ACOS spring spacers remember the drivers side is where you sit and also is the same side the fuel tank is on - so I gave a little more lift on the DS.

The whole task took me 2.5 hours - you could do it heaps faster if A. you have a friend help you and B. you don't stuff around scratching you noodle LoL

Enjoy
Cheers Hunty

Old 24-03-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

was it really that easy to get the springs in/out!
everytime i have done mine i have had to use my spring compressors and wind them down as much as i could to justttt slide them in iv always installed from the back first then the front and it takes a hell of alot longer then 2.5 hours haha

so all i need to do is disconnect sway bar links and the bottom of the shocks and it will allow them to fall out! it defiantly doesn't work this way if you doing the back or front first!!! with mine iv disconnected the rear swaybar links, bottom shock bolts and even lower control arms.....jacked the rear up put axle stands on the chassis and then dropped the rear end as much as it would allow and the springs still wearnt even close to coming out....so out came the spring compressors but the way your doing it may make it complelty different if your jacking it from the side!
Old 25-03-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Crawler, did u take ur wheel off?? I sat mine on stands and loosened the track bar as well and got my wife to push down on a long bar to leaver the axle down and out the spring went and in the new one went

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25-03-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah man took the wheel off to!, maybe i needed to take the trackbar off!!!