suspension priority - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default suspension priority

I am getting closer to that happy stage of raising my JK and could do with some advice.
When raising the vehicle by 3-3.5", would it be a priority to get the front and rear control arms, or adjustable front track bar? I know that you can get brackets to correct geometry, but I would prefer to have components attached directly where possible. The kits in my budget mean I may have to choose.
I am still learning the function of these items.
It will be a daily driver with limited off road, so I need it to handle well.
Old 02-09-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

If it is a DD that sees limited off road use by do you want to lift it that high?
A lower lift will probably handle far better and cost you a whole load less.

For a lift of that height I'd assume you would definitely need a front track bar and rear track bar bracket (or replacement bar). You would probably also need replacement arms on the rear and either arms or geometry correction brackets on the front. If it is for predimonantly road work with mild off road then I'd advise the geometry correction brackets up front rather than replacement arms. They will give a better ride and you'll not be too concerned about the minor loss in ground clearance you'll have.
Old 02-09-2016
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

You haven't mentioned what actually matters - tires........ the only real clearance is whats under the lowest point of the vehicle most of the time.

Select the diameter tire you want then fit just enough lift to make it all work without rubbing. The amount of lift will then control what other suspension bits you actually need.
The lower the lift the less bits and pieces your going to need, the better its going to be as a daily without a lot of work. Also big lifts with small tires look.... lets just leave it at uncool.

Also I'd suspect that reputable suppliers aren't going to be happy selling that height lift without adequate correction bits and pieces...... would be a pretty half arsed end result.

Last edited by MightyMouse; 02-09-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts

MM is right. Choose the largest tyre size you want to run and build a suspension around it to give adequate clearance.
If it is just more for looks then switching stock wheel/tyre combo for 285/70/17s or even 305/70/17s will make an enormous change it its appearance.
The higher you lift the more that needs replacing to bring it back to near stock handling.
Old 03-09-2016
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Absolutely spot on MM. I don't know how many times I've seen huge suspension and body lifts with small tyres (mainly on Hiluxs with P plates). I don't see the point if you keep hanging up the diffs. All it does is make the ride awful.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 03-09-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

I'd look at the AEC 2"/2.5" lift kit with preset correction brackets, and move to 33" tyres on standard rims.

Good around town, decent step up off road and a reasonable step forward that most jeepers will say does not need engineering.

Once I had my head around that AEV kit, I'd look at the alternatives particularly Terraflex and Synergy. There may well be cost savings. Try to avoid mix and match unless your homework is good enough to ensure no clashes.

If your stock is a Ruby, I'd live with the under protection, if not start with protection to the evac cannister. Then look to after market axle covers.

And you'll have a pretty decent all rounder.
Old 03-09-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Good advice, I am trying to mix practical with the stance I want. One of the users on this site is running 315/70/17 and the AEV 3.5" and it looks amazing. True, I am not climbing rocks everyday, but I am spending hard earned to make my vehicle the way I picture it.
I am aware of the engineering dramas, and research suggests that I can insure it with these mods and the risk of unwanted attention is something I can live with. I see too many users unhappy with their 2" and I only want to do this once.
The geometry correction brackets sound like the go.
Post New Thread  Reply