jeep gc build quality - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-01-2024
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 345 Times in 181 Posts
Default jeep gc build quality

my next door neighbour just bought a used 2012 gc diesel overland .
The cars done about 170,000km and drives well.
Appears to have the same diesel vm engine as my 2015.
I was surprised how good the build quality is compared to the later wk2 cars
(2013 up)
The doors feel more solid when closing them,panel gaps are all uniform.
Overall, was impressed, dosnt have the 8 speed transmission but overall seems they are solid cars
Old 16-01-2024
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Haven't found any problems with the build on mine, in fact all of mine the build quality has been good, design maybe not so ....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 16-01-2024
CrawlerStar

Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

They certainly had no idea about designing good and adequate storage for driver and passenger area. My former Territory was fantastic in this area......Jeep.....hopeless!!
Love my Jeep as a vehicle though, guess you can't always have everything.
Old 16-01-2024
Full Flexer

Liked 660 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywal View Post
They certainly had no idea about designing good and adequate storage for driver and passenger area. My former Territory was fantastic in this area......Jeep.....hopeless!!
Can't say I agree with this - the centre console bin is maybe a bit small (mostly due to the CD player), but they've maximised the space they had available to them. The centre console cupholders are great, door bins and drink bottle holders well-sized, glovebox is reasonable, and the bin behind the shifter is a great place to chuck the wallet, phone, keys, etc. What more can you want?

Old 16-01-2024
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywal View Post
Have to agree, the door bin is tight, though the drink bottle holder is good but the centre cup holders are a pain and like all cars now the glove box is dinky, if I could remove the CD player the bin would just have adequate room and I think the seats in the WG were far better than these WK2 bum carriers ...

But I just luv this wagon of mine and fear as to what would replace it, nothing much around that can match it really.......

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 16-01-2024
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,136 Times in 601 Posts

The build quality is ok imo, not startling but ok. Not as "plasticy" as the Jap stuff. ..seats are pretty good too imo. Though the area to rest ones left foot is a bit cramped with the park brake lever down there...that could be better. I imagine the LHD models have the park brake lever on the opposite side of the transmission tunnel to the RHD, but would be by your accelerator foot so sort of not in the way of a resting left leg.
The best seats for sure were in my WJ, (or WG if you like), they were nice deep plush leather. The WH had reasonable seating, again leather with cloth type inserts in the Overland, but quite a bit thinner than the WJ had.
The WK2 seats are definitely better than the WH as far as overall comfort goes, same number of adjustments but they just feel better.
I do like the fact also that the rear seat backrest is adjustable as well, it has about 4 different recline settings, so a rear seat passenger can push the back rest back either side and enjoy a snooze rather than have to sit bolt upright for the journey.

A couple of the trim retaining clips have broken in the rear cargo area in mine which needs to be fixed, and I do find the lack of storage can be a nuisance sometimes...that said I lost a pair of sunglasses in the space above the USB slot in the front of the console for a few weeks...lol
Old 16-01-2024
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 345 Times in 181 Posts

I guess i was really comparing the quality and feel of his 2012 overland and my 2015 limited.
The trim in the 2014 facelift) up is alot better as his 2012 has some of the wood trim (plastic) on the dash and door is delaminating.
The newer facelift trim is alot better quality wise.
But when you close the 2012 doors you notice they feel very solid when you close them as opposed to the 2014 up which feel lighter ??
I also like the rear back window on the tail gate being able to be opened on the 2012, very handy.
The newer 8 speed transmission is alot better than the older 5 speed driving wise.
Post New Thread  Reply