NEW......T36 Alternator Recall - Page 47 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2020
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

Has anyone determined the characteristics of the shunt on the negative battery terminal... either by researching the part of number or via measurement?

I'm looking to monitor for current leakage, and using the factory shunt would be extremely convenient... if it is actually a shunt.

https://www.moparamerica.com/oem-par...end-56029713ad

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by Barboots; 05-06-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Maybe FCA here in Aust has finally realised the Grand Cherokee is still the best bang for your bucks SUV and most capable tow vehicle available in Aust.!Going from very high sales afew years ago to virtually nothing tells you heaps about lack of marketing,poor dealer service ,not paying legitamate warranty claims ,overpriced spare parts etc etc,.
Old 05-06-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
Maybe FCA here in Aust has finally realised the Grand Cherokee is still the best bang for your bucks SUV and most capable tow vehicle available in Aust.!Going from very high sales afew years ago to virtually nothing tells you heaps about lack of marketing,poor dealer service ,not paying legitamate warranty claims ,overpriced spare parts etc etc,.

I remember hearing the same comment about service back in the 70's but they packed up and went back across the pacific then again when they started with the XJ in about 94, only taken a couple of decades to get the message that they have shit overpriced service.... They have always had a poor report card for service back up, overpriced parts.
Nearly bought an XJ back then, ended up with a house instead, the XJ and the ZG one of the best Jeeps, proper FWD's really........

With 3 Jeeps passing through the shed I have no complaints about their service, never used it but the price of parts, well like Toyota, Holden etc, way over the top........... Holden wanted $90 for a tranny sump gasket so Jeep aint alone.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 05-06-2020
Senior Newbie

Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts

Mine was in junk mail as well. If you read through it all it is an improvement including flying mechanics anywhere in australia if you have a problem, think that would only be under warranty though.
regards Russell
Old 06-06-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts

Re awj s reply from FCA
Surely this must be an admission of a problem with the alternator.
What about the rest of us who have registered complaint with both FCA and ACCC.
I will be contacting ACCC and FCA again re this issue.
Cant believe that all those complaints registered prior to this one ,were told its your problem.
Whats different about this case.
Old 06-06-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Same alternator same problems.I suppose its the old we will see how many complaints we will get against the cost of a world wide recall of hundreds of thousand GCs.I would say that the replacing foc of a diesel unit could open up FCA to many claims.The failure of these alternators is a real safety issue.loss of steering ,underbonnet fires etc are not much fun,
Old 18-06-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 235 Times in 132 Posts

Hi Folks, I acquired a replacement rectifier from a local supplier as pretty common. Its a Jaylec 16-8536 and that will come up with RN-67. I note another facebook fellow has done a lot of research work and he ordered RN-59 with exact same specs other than the outer diameter of the heatsink being 3mm less.

I will keep this as an emergency as towing a caravan in the middle of nowhere as a spare so if things go haywire then a side of the road replacement after a battery disconnect to stop the drain on battery if a diode or two has gone direct short AKA drawing a lot of current into the windings to eventually kill the battery. Or if I am smart, will replace it out a few months before heading out on a major trip and keep the old.

These are direct replacement but the alt has to be removed from vehicle so will change the drive belt soon and take that alt out from above as a test teardown (I have the adventure pack with bash plates so will just swear at it from above). The only issue is the alternator's 6 copper poles are fused to the rectifier pack so I need to check this out to see if I can DIY seperate or I will modify the joints and use Jaycar NS3045 Silver solder kit as is a flux and 5 x stronger solder so more closer to plug and play for the emergency.

Happy to ack the facebook user and our alternators are not actually at fault here so even if you get a replacement for the Diesel, then its a like for like I am afraid. The issue appears to be the altenator provides the primary loads and spare capacity to battery. No wonder our batterys last many years. If Jeep did a mod, you would think the current parts would be upgraded. I cannot get 60a diodes for a 12v system so the 50's are the go to for now. The one thing I learn't was go easy on the steering perhaps!

I've attached a table that the facebook user did a lot of real life and hard work to prepare to show you the current loads on our vehicles prior to the full electric steering as very insightful as to the loads it has to deal with. So the upshot is change your battery earlier when 20% supercheap and sell the old to a boatie as lots of live left. Hope this assists and will save a whole alternator being carried around or a tow truck. The one advantage of the that specific solder may (or may not) will become a first point of failure post a current short from a failed diode vs damaging the windings here. Sorta like a fuse perhaps however if soldered properly, the current transfer is equal to crimping anyway.

Last edited by Mousie; 18-06-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply