power steering rack - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-08-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 345 Times in 181 Posts
Default power steering rack

Another topic for discussion-
The Wk2 leaky steering racks on the electro hydraulic steering system.
As most of us know, a super common issue on the Wk2 is the steering rack seals
start leaking . They can leak for ages and you never know as they slowly fill up the rubber rack boot until they over flow and then you see the drips.
Unfortunately you can only do a couple of things, one is keep topping up the fluid resivor or get a reconditioned steering rack fitted (at about $2k)
Wondering if anyone has tried any of the power steering additives on the hydo electric systems ?
Old 15-08-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,886 Times in 2,300 Posts

I suppose it would depend on if the additive is compatable with the fluid in these hydro/Lecky jobs, on other types the shaft seemed to get crud build up in the boot which would score the shaft and chew the seal out.... stuffing the whole thing....

Good topic and something I don't want to have to discover first hand...........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 15-08-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 293 Times in 185 Posts

Don't like this topic either but good to hear it is not me. Our 2015 bought new, had to top up power steering fluid at around 100k km as was showing low on reservoir. Topped up and then checked maybe week or so later. Was slightly down so topped up again. Scratching head.

About to do all the trouble hoses and don't really want to look at this as where do you stop?
Old 16-08-2023
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,116 Times in 592 Posts

I don't get that either...my reservoir in current Jeep was down a small amount when I bought it so topped it up as I had some LDAS on the shelf in the garage.

I noted when checking under the bonnet a couple of weeks ago that it was down maybe half an inch...One thing i did not have in my spares kit was LDAS fluid, so I had to buy another litre of it at great expense...I have topped it up again.

My last Jeep was down a tad also when i bought it, topped it up and it never moved after that...

Last edited by Jeeper6; 16-08-2023 at 07:42 PM.
Old 17-08-2023
MonsterMoose

I have topped mine up about twice over 120K km, only down maybe 4-5mm, haven't really thought about it much, its working all the time so going to vapour out some....

Of all the spares you carry not having LDAS in the kit is a surprise, my first run in this Jeep and I was near Charleville and realised I hadn't put the bottle in my lube box, so lucky I didn't moz my steering, it was a concern as I went to Innaminka, Boulia etc, never found a bottle on the shelf until I had wandered the back blocks and made it to Longreach ...... didn't buy it, besides unless its down at the low mark its not a worry really...........

Old 17-08-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 345 Times in 181 Posts

All i can say my 2014 gc did the same at about 140,000km. Kept topping it up for a a couple of years at odd times but no leaks seen and then at about 160k started getting drips for the steering rack boot, still not much loss, then at about 180k started seeing power steering fluid on the sump when doing oil changes.
Everything still worked fine so just kept the level up but really should have got the rack replaced at some point.
Recon steering rack guys reckon they do heaps of gc racks but said just monitor the levels until it gets so your having to top up alot, then get it recon’d.

Last edited by genpk; 17-08-2023 at 09:42 PM.
Old 18-08-2023
MonsterMoose

I did a rotate of wheels yesterday so gave the boots a nice feel up, no squishyness and the only oily patch on the rack was where I oversprayed some rust proofing... I much prefer to wheel rotate myself then I get a chance to have a good look at brakes and everything else hidden away in there.....

Post New Thread  Reply