TJ wrangler custom fabbed bullbar - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-08-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Cool TJ wrangler custom fabbed bullbar crawler bar

hey guys i purchased my jeep stock as a rock about 6 months ago and have only just got onto ausjeepoffroad so i thought ide post up my build of my custom made bullbar i fabbed up. it is built from start to finish with some basic pictures of the build up added in this post. The bar istelf is a basic crawler type design which is exactly what i was after.

i decided to build my own bar after finding that the aussie market did not offer exactly the design i was chasing and they are all so damn expensive for what you get

this is the plasma cut base of the bar made from 4mm mild steel

this is the origonal bar

the new base of the crawler bar after i folded it together and tack welded

this is the main bar i have completely welded it together then a ruff sand over the edges to tidy it up. the front face of the bar has a 60 degree lean on it.

these are the tow points i installed first but ended up removing and replaced with thicker and stronger ones in the end.

this is the front stinger bar tack welded in place, its 3mm thick wall and 3inch diameter. it sits basically inline with the lip of the bonnet and leans forward about 60 degrees the same as the front face of the bullbar base.
this whole process of working with pipe i am not used to and it took alot of small cuts to get it to sit even and level on the bar. pretty stoked with the final placement tho

i decided to start with two gussets on the inside but by the end of the build i added another thick center gusset for extra strength for the winch plate

the first installation on the car with the stinger installed, it ended up sitting exactly where i was hoping it too, i used the original mounting bolt holes from the stock bar ojn the top and bottom directly to the chassis. i also decided to add some extra side rails onto the stinger. it all just seemed a little to bare haha

side bars and stinger are fully welded up next is to start work on making a sturdy winch plate.

started with making the mounting plate for the winch base out of 6mm mild steel

a quick test to make sure the winch bolts up and too see how sexy it all looks

i ended up welding the fair lead mount plate to the winch base plate and did a sanded edged finish

next was to make the 6mm thick mild steel winch support base plate that will bolt to the chassis in 6 places to stop all the winch force going through the bull bar itself, basic idea was to spread the load.

first full test fit with the bar completed with the new thicker tow points fitted

was going to 2pac it matte black myself but decided not to be a cheap ass and get it powder coated. ended up going with a textured sandpaper type finish in matte black. i am stoked with the finish and only set me back about $100

piccie of the bar fitted to the car

pretty chuffed with outcome and only cost me a grand total of $200 hope i enspired some others to build there own bar
if anyone has any ideas of things i can add to the bar let me know

Last edited by 4x4joel4x4; 29-08-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 29-08-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Very nice workmanship and came up looking like a bought one.

How do you go down there with the stubby bar and stinger? Wouldn't last long at all up here before the fun busters pulled you over, though judging by the wheels that must not be much of a problem down there?

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 29-08-2015
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

thanks mate, well its all too soon to tell yet bar has only been on for about 3 weeks now. And i am new to melbourne only been here a year. I previously lived in mooloolaba QLD and it seemed to me that i got away with alot of modifications up there but i try to keep my cars looking as clean as i can hopefully that keeps the fun police off my back haha

although im thinking about making some tube fenders in the near future that could really attract some attention then
Old 03-09-2015
Established Member

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

Great work mate. Looks awesome.
What dual rate coil springs are you running?
Old 03-09-2015
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking the goods. Taking orders?
Old 07-09-2015
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus-Jeep View Post
Great work mate. Looks awesome.
What dual rate coil springs are you running?
Thanks mate im loving it. Still no cop attention haha👍 i am running a set of progressive dobinsons springs front and rear they are great offroad but a little rough onroad. Second to none on flex you can achieve tho..
Old 07-09-2015
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibro View Post
Looking the goods. Taking orders?
haha cheers fella, no real plans on making anymore to order at this point. i can make the stubby bumper base without winch plate or tubing tho as that is just a laser cut solidworks design that is bent and welded up. the rest is all custom and takes to much time
Post New Thread  Reply