JK or FJ ... help needed please - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-07-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default JK or FJ ... help needed please

Hi all, I bought one of the first JK's back in 2007 and have loved owning it. Sometimes wish it was smoother on the road and a bit more refined but it's never let me down off road. My problem is this ... we bought the two door petrol and always regretted not getting the four door diesel. Now we're thinking of trading in the old one for a new 4 door diesel one and getting what we should have got in the first place (more room for our camping gear). But I've test driven the new FJ Cruiser and liked it. Now I know how they stack up in terms of off road ability and I know I will be sacrificing some of that ability but the on road smoothness with the FJ is very nice and it's a lot more refined.

So my question is this, to those of you in the know and hopefully people who have driven the FJ off road .... will I be dissapointed with the FJ when off road? All the reviews say how good it is off road but they're not really comparing it to a Wrangler.
Old 14-07-2011
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

no diesel in the FJ, rear passengers can't see out the side windows, which is really bad in my opinion having been for a ride in the back of one, if you have someone in your family that suffer's from car sickness, they could never be in the back for very long, apart from that there a Prado with independent front suspension,

as for offroad ability doesn't that come down to where you want to go ?

Last edited by TassieTJ; 14-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 14-07-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I checked out the cruiser when looking at jeep/patrols

Thought they were impractical and meant for brokeback mountain

I ended up with a 4dr jk and couldn't be happier
Old 14-07-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

each to his own but you cant compare the two oneis a concept to bring toyota back to its routes with a retro sytle, the other a proven off roader . how is after market accessories on the toyota and what type of off roading do you do.
Old 14-07-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

take an unlimited Jk for a spin. they ride a bit smoother and the 2011 is a bit more civil inside.

although the FJ is far more comfortable and less likely to cause a problem later in its life it is a petrol guzzling 4.0L V6 and the diesel JK will likely retain its value in the future due to this (despite it probably having higher running costs)
Old 14-07-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You need to work out what you are going to use it for , e.g. weekend warrior, touring, rock climbing etc. and consider

- aftermarket accessories
- how easy to modify
- fuel tank volume
- payload (how much extra it can carry from factory)
- towing ability
- no of persons you are having in the FJ
- clearance

For me the Jeep was cheaper than a 76 series and more reliable than the 3ltr patrols.

The FJ didnt get a look in due to my wife and i hated the looks, besides it was also petrol with a small tank and not family friendly.

You could get a good second hand prado for the same price as a new cruiser. (more functional and practical for more than two people).
Old 15-07-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mate if you got the service and shity workmanship that I got then you would go buy an FJ cruiser !!!! Thank god jeep HQ are trying to sort the dealer out ( Ireland's Cairns ) I'm considering trading mine in if the problems aren't sorted quickly , ice had my JK unlimited for 3 weeks !!
Post New Thread  Reply