ProVent - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Did I see replacement provent filters were over $70! If that is correct, they are a huge rip off.
Old 04-12-2012
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdean View Post
Did I see replacement provent filters were over $70! If that is correct, they are a huge rip off.
How much is your engine worth? The filter lasts about 50 000km according to mann-hummel and at $80 thats about $12 per service 10 000km??
Ripoff??

I would love to see what condition your engine ends up after a piece a pot scrubber dislodges and enteres the combustion chamber.....

Goodluck with that! It amazes me as to areas that people will skimp to save a few bucks with an engine that is worth about $14000 to replace or rebuild.

So in that respect you think using the recommended fully synthetic oil is a waste and your running old dino oil? Why bother if you are going to blow pot scrubbers through it!
Old 04-12-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca2801 View Post
How much is your engine worth? The filter lasts about 50 000km according to mann-hummel and at $80 thats about $12 per service 10 000km??
Ripoff??

I would love to see what condition your engine ends up after a piece a pot scrubber dislodges and enteres the combustion chamber.....

Goodluck with that! It amazes me as to areas that people will skimp to save a few bucks with an engine that is worth about $14000 to replace or rebuild.

So in that respect you think using the recommended fully synthetic oil is a waste and your running old dino oil? Why bother if you are going to blow pot scrubbers through it!
I would not use pot scrubbers or non-synthetic oil, you may have me mixed up with another poster. This provent is going over and beyond the recommended maintenance regime for the vehicle; the other two examples are going under the recommendations so not a fair comparison. However a fuel filter or other small filter within a catch can may do the job just as well. I know I wouldn't wait for 50,000kms either; I'd want to change it much more regularly.

And yes, in my opinion, from the pictures, $80 is too much for the filter. I'd be comfortable paying $20 max for it and probably change it as req on inspection.
Old 04-12-2012
Established Member

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Ripoff??

Why skimp on inferior rubber hoses to connect it? why skimp and not have an oil cooler added to the system? why skimp and keep you stock d30 diffs...
everyone has their price limits, no need to lash the bloke.
I doubt stainless steel is likely to dislodge then the paper like material the provent has, less likely to get clogged up too. A 'good' catch can usually has baffle plates so no pressure can build up.
$14k would get you a worked ls3 or a couple of jeep engines
/rant
Old 04-12-2012
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by king bogan View Post
Why skimp on inferior rubber hoses to connect it? why skimp and not have an oil cooler added to the system? why skimp and keep you stock d30 diffs...
everyone has their price limits, no need to lash the bloke.
I doubt stainless steel is likely to dislodge then the paper like material the provent has, less likely to get clogged up too. A 'good' catch can usually has baffle plates so no pressure can build up.
$14k would get you a worked ls3 or a couple of jeep engines
/rant
Good luck buying a VM 2.8 new under $14k, post your supplier and then show me a ls3 conversion for under $14 k after you scuff the liners with the pot scrubbers or PVC blowby filter??
There is no flaming just some common sense and reality to people who will spend tens of thousands on a vehicle and then throw a dodgy homemade can filled with steel wool AFTER the engine intake filter?????
Seriously I'm gobbsmacked??
There is such a thing as false economy as in saving a few bucks making a filter to blow thousands on a new engine! How can you possible compare a not upgrading a working d30 to putting a potentially engine destroying hack inline with the intake??
Btw it's a coalescing filter that is designed to re-congeal oil vapor back into a liquid... It doesnt clog like a micron rated particulate filter.
Old 04-12-2012
Established Member

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/p...d8-565-HP.html
I didn't say conversion, i'm in the process of an annoyingly overpriced one as we speak and i doubt the 2.8 would be much more then a ls or more so a hemi.

The diff, hoses and oil cooler comment was relative to mods people do, not just this thread. e.g...people run 37's/40's on d30s/44s, running themselves and others in serious risk when they hit a pothole on the freeway thus losing control because half the axle was left behind. People using wrong or cheap hoses that leak and cause all sorts of dramas - I was surprised how thin most of my stock radiator hoses were at only 50k km, probs only 5k to 10k left.
Anyway off topic, I'm sure the bloke knows what he's up for. I was merely suggesting other cheap alternatives rather then his pvc pipe route
Old 04-12-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Btw it's a coalescing filter that is designed to re-congeal oil vapor back into a liquid... It doesnt clog like a micron rated particulate filter.
Now this is valuable information which if presented politely would be appreciated.
Post New Thread  Reply