Recomended LPG installer Melbourne- Gippsland? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-04-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Recomended LPG installer Melbourne- Gippsland?

Hello, Apologies in advance if this has been asked somewhere here already, had a look but could not find anything!
I have a late 97 XJ Sport with about 170k on it, i would like to do an outback trip and some drives through the Victorian high country. But........ I would love to get fuel costs down if possible.

I have read mixed reveiws on the pros and cons of converting to lpg so would be interested/appreciate any feedback?

Also can anyone recomend a good installer that really knows what he is doing as the last thing I want to do is create a problem.
Took me ages to sort varios problems on the Jeep so i dont want to go backwards.

An installer I approached on the Sunshine Coast advised strongly against it, said he would never do another. Had done one recently and no end of problems that he could not sort!

Am i better off just leaving it thirsty but reliable on petrol?

Sorry for long post but got on a roll

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 16-04-2016 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Found thread on lpg for xj
Old 16-04-2016
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I found the detailed thread on the pros and cons of installing lpg.
Now really just need a recomended installer in the Melbourne, Gippsland area.
Or.....if anyone has a good Cherokee already on lpg for sale. As someone suggested buying one with the lpg already fitted is probably the better option...if there is one out there that is in good nic.
Old 16-04-2016
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

LPG no good to you on an outback trip coz its not available. The conversion likely to also cost more than the car is worth and you're ulikely to cover the cost of it in fuel savings any time soon. If you can find one better off putting in a long range tank and living with the fuel costs.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 17-04-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

Only checked fuel consumption on mine once a few months ago, was just under 10l per 100k's. I always thought it was thirsty, mostly because everybody said XJ's are thirsty, but I'm very happy with the consumption. It's pretty standard, mainly upgrades for strength & reliability. I run Shell V-power 98 fuel, original type NTK oxygen sensors, Champion plugs (RC12LYC I think) change air filter regularly, Penrite HPR 30 oil in engine (its 20W60, yes high viscosity, but 1600 ppm zinc/ phosphorous, kind to camshaft) 75W90 front diff, 85W140 rear, Dex 3 atf in auto & transfer, LT235x75x15 tyres& 2'' lift, 3.55 diffs. Some on here have reported better consumption than that, some worse, so I think mine's about average. Tune up with good quality parts ( I think the original type NTK oxy sensors are a necessity) & I reckon you'll be surprised. Opinions on fuel will vary, but mine definitely runs better on Shell V-power. LPG= more things to go wrong I think mate, & the cost of fitting it would buy a lot of V-power. Good luck with it whatever you decide. Regards oldon.
Old 19-04-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

Try the sprintgas head office in campbelfield. They did a super professional top quality install on my wj for a great price. They may not want to take the job themselves but can at least help you find a reputable installer. Theres a lot of sharks out there some way under charge, some way over, some tell you your getting something special when youre not. Sprintgas wholesale to most installers so they can set you straight on what you're getting and how much you should pay
Old 19-04-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

That sounds like an ad, but honestly, I'm just a very satisfied customer 👍
Old 20-04-2016
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and your advice based on experience.
I agree, lpg install would cost more then Jeep is worth and as you say "Olden" fitting lpg may cause more probems then it is worth.
Currently i get about 6 k litre around town if I nurse it and 7-8 on the highway.
So all said and done not so bad i guess.

I will have to check my o2 senser. ( away at the moment) and see what brand it is. When i got the XJ it ran like a hairy three legged dog, drank like there was no tomorrow. Swear i could see the needle dropping.

On drive from Vic to Qld it played up badly, various mechanics including Jeep franchise at Tamorth diognosed as Crank senser.
Ended up getring it freighted to qld.
I took a blanket approach and put new sensers all round, plugs, leads, dist cap, rotor and last but not least, o2 senser.
Mild improvement but still thirsty, running rich and missing.

Took it to Jeep dealer Noosa, Cricks. Diognosed and said o2 senser.
I'm said brand new one on it!
Went ahead as last sitch effort to fix before i ended up with even less hair and be buggered it fixed it.
Lesson learnt. Don't always assume that new parts are not faulty.

All the threads on here and advice said o2 senser, but as it was new i kept looking for other faults, eg computer issues, wriggled it, unscrewed it, shortened screws.

Will just keep using xj as is, good, clean and low km's and i know what i have got.
Post New Thread  Reply