Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 221 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Call any tyre dealer and ask for a set of 265's for a JK and they will recomend any E load rated tyre they sell, as that is all they have. Call them back the next day, and ask whether E load rated tyres are suited to 2tonne JK Wrangler, and they will tell you no way. I found by caling and emailing the vendors directly, both here and in the US, that the 265 in E Load rating were specifically developed for the F series trucks and the like which shipped with around 29" tyres 20 years ago carrying large loads.
Try it, I bet you have the same result.
I also think that the 265 in E rating feels much stiffer that than say a 35" tyre in E rating as there is far less sidewall and flex, and therfore offers a far more stiffer ride, but most peiple even in the US will tell you to stay away from the E rated tyrez unless you are a heavy rock crawler, so the 265 makes this even worse.
PS. I had issues with my ESP coming on and cruise control turning off on rough country back rds with the E load rated tyres. And it was a shit ride. Problem has disappreared now, and the ride is so much better.
My wife wanted me to sell the JK after the last two trips with the 265's, however I thought I would try one more thing, and it worked. After 4 sets of coils, 3 or 4 different sets of shocks, 2 sets of tyres, my JK has never driven better. I have been away from the forum for near 12 months, as I have been unhappy with the ride, now it is driving great, for some reason, I seem to be back.
Old 04-07-2013
Established Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Lift and Tyres of your JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-JK View Post

Once you've got your road pressures sorted then it's time to work on the off-road pressures. I found that at 25psi mine were chipping on rocks. That might be OK for fast dirt road driving but for slower trail work it was too high for mine. I now run mine at 20psi for normal trail driving. At that pressure they bag out well, soften the ride, and grip well. I've not had any issues with punctures with them and they don't seem to chip at that pressure either. I'd guess you'd need to be lower again though to get the stiffer side wall to bag out.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

Do you hit any mud with them. I'm finding my ATZ 285/75/16 always get mud in the bead. Almost everytime I head out I'll need to take it tyre guy afterwards to get them remounted to stop the leaks.
Old 04-07-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexo View Post
Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

Do you hit any mud with them. I'm finding my ATZ 285/75/16 always get mud in the bead. Almost everytime I head out I'll need to take it tyre guy afterwards to get them remounted to stop the leaks.
To be honest I've not done much mud driving with them (I get sick of cleaning the JK afterwards). What little I have done though I was impressed with the grip they gave and didn't have any issues of getting mud in the bead.
Old 05-07-2013
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktom View Post
Call any tyre dealer and ask for a set of 265's for a JK and they will recomend any E load rated tyre they sell, as that is all they have. Call them back the next day, and ask whether E load rated tyres are suited to 2tonne JK Wrangler, and they will tell you no way. I found by caling and emailing the vendors directly, both here and in the US, that the 265 in E Load rating were specifically developed for the F series trucks and the like which shipped with around 29" tyres 20 years ago carrying large loads.
Try it, I bet you have the same result.
I also think that the 265 in E rating feels much stiffer that than say a 35" tyre in E rating as there is far less sidewall and flex, and therfore offers a far more stiffer ride, but most peiple even in the US will tell you to stay away from the E rated tyrez unless you are a heavy rock crawler, so the 265 makes this even worse.
PS. I had issues with my ESP coming on and cruise control turning off on rough country back rds with the E load rated tyres. And it was a shit ride. Problem has disappreared now, and the ride is so much better.
My wife wanted me to sell the JK after the last two trips with the 265's, however I thought I would try one more thing, and it worked. After 4 sets of coils, 3 or 4 different sets of shocks, 2 sets of tyres, my JK has never driven better. I have been away from the forum for near 12 months, as I have been unhappy with the ride, now it is driving great, for some reason, I seem to be back.
Well I'll see how I go and report back the ride quality. Hopefully I have not wasted a whole lot of money
Old 06-07-2013
Full Flexer

Fitted 265/75r16 MT 4 Rib ATZ , ride is only mildly harder than the old one.
Mind you though have yet to go over any rough roads.

So something make me wonder if I am just used to a harsh riding Jk
Old 06-07-2013
RubiconSlammer

Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryceee View Post
So something make me wonder if I am just used to a harsh riding Jk
That is the thing, it is a 4WD not a street sedan or a soccer mums car (as much as the TJ owners would disagree ) so you don't get a super soft ride.

On another note where do they take the measurements to see if your lift is legal or not? My JKU is 182-183 cm at the highest point where they are meant to be 186.5 cm so does that mean I can put a 3" lift on and still be legal or would a a quality (Tera or AEV) 2" lift take the sag out of it first?

I only have the stock rear bar on atm but plan to go to a steel bar with tyre carrier at some point and the ARB Deluxe front bar which will have a winch added soon.
Old 07-07-2013
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroGantz View Post
That is the thing, it is a 4WD not a street sedan or a soccer mums car (as much as the TJ owners would disagree ) so you don't get a super soft ride.

On another note where do they take the measurements to see if your lift is legal or not? My JKU is 182-183 cm at the highest point where they are meant to be 186.5 cm so does that mean I can put a 3" lift on and still be legal or would a a quality (Tera or AEV) 2" lift take the sag out of it first?

I only have the stock rear bar on atm but plan to go to a steel bar with tyre carrier at some point and the ARB Deluxe front bar which will have a winch added soon.
Strange thing is that my speedo is still spot on, checked with the GPS and when I am doing 80kph according to the GPS I am doing 80kph, would of thought it would of been thrown out by going from 245/75r16 to 265/75r16.
Post New Thread  Reply