JK: The Ozbogan Rubicon Unlimited build - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-09-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts

Got the FlasCal today, gives me something to play with tonight!
Old 24-09-2014
Established Member

Been happy with flashcal, it's allowed me to change tpms settings as well as a few other handy things like idle up etc. will be good when I eventually get new tyres as can adjust tyre size. It's a bummer the diff locks in high range feature doesn't work in the 2014 models but no biggy, just would have been nice to have.

Got my new black canvas seat covers today, 6mth after I ordered them but better late then never! The hold up being they didn't have a pattern for the jk with side airbags so had to get a trial vehicle first. The fronts are all I've fitted so far but they look good and will protect the seats from me and the boy so that's what I'm after.

Also got my Firestone / air bag man airbags today. Might get a chance to install hem if I get some time this week at the shop.

Got my windscreen resealed from jeep. I had wind noise from the lower RHD of the screen from day one. There was an obvious blob of sealant around the wind noise area, and when driving in the rain the other week I got some water through the same area. Anyway they revealed it and said it looked like it had been moved during installation before the sealant cured. It's all good now.
Old 09-11-2014
Established Member

Hi all, been in the states for the last month and came back with some new toys, finally got around to fitting yesterday.

First up was a daystar upper dash pocket / phone holder.

Second was my rugged ridge hurricane flares. Wasn't sure how they would look with a full bumper but rally happy I chose these flares, they look great. I had to do some cutting to fit with the safari snorkel, I couldn't find anyone else on the net who'd taken photos of fitting the two together but flying blind I think I did alright.

Next I had some problem solving to do. Both the wife and I struggle with the doors not staying open when loading the boy / dogs / gear in the back. And with another kid on the way I needed a solution. I'd looked at the off the shelf options but wasn't keen on cutting the doors and window tracks as required by those kits and they were a little exy. So I decided to make my own. I removed the lower hinge upper bolt and fitted a longer bolt, and to this secured a small 3mm x 20mm strap with a slight bend to it. When the doors open this strap is just swung towards he door, locking it open. When no longer needed, swing it up to the stopping tab and shut the door, simple as that. Works a treat, although bear in mind this is only the first version. During the week I hope to knock up a neater set with a nicer stopping tab and some gussets on the arm as it does bend a little.

I also got a 13in antenna which I haven't fitted yet as I struggling getting the old one loose from behind the snorkel. I want to replace this so the old one stops rattling against a pillar light / snorkel body.

I fitted a dually to the rear work light stay with an orange lens as a low vis light simply coz I have quite a few of these little duallys sitting in my shed and nothing to do with them.

Also got my old man emu adjustable front pan hard rod which I need to make some time to fit.

Might get around to doing tyres next. I've destroyed these ones. EFs creek at the springs / test track at cruiser both took there tolls on the sidewalks of the stock rubber and they have a few issues. A set of 285s or 305s and some black steelers will find there way under there soon.

Last edited by ozbogan; 09-11-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

Nicely set up. I like those flares.
Old 19-11-2014
Established Member

Thanks mate, have been happy with them so far. It was one of the most drawn out buying decisions I've had for the jeep as trying to weigh up pros and cons of the many different types out there"
Old 10-01-2015
Established Member

Managed to get a three day leave pass from the wife and kid and ducked out to sundown for a long weekend of beer, fishing and the Boxing Day test match. It pretty much pissed down all three days and the river was in flood so after a bit of a slippery old mud bash I did a bit of exploring and wheeling over the three days. I was very happy with how the car works as a one person camper. Awning over the kitchen and fridge out the back and over the side with a arb awning ent and a side awning sheet to give me a good outdoor space. Everything worked real good.

Except on my way out of camp, when the dash lit up like a Xmas tree about half way up a slippery wet hill. I managed to drive it to th top of the hill to some flat ground (despite the flashing, ringing, dinging the dash was doing)

I put it in park. Bad move. Couldn't get it out again. Dash is flashing hot oil even though cars only been running for 5 min in low range. Check tpm system flashing on dash. No numbers on usual toms readout. No numbers in any vehicle monitor setting on evils. No temp gauge, tach or speedo. 3/4 tank fuel main tank full secondary tank. Flash cal reads codes as

u0001 can c bus
U0151 lost communication with occupant restraint controller
U0168 lost communication with vehicle security control module
U0100 lost communication with ecm pcm
U0101 lost communication with Tcm
U0121 lost communication with anti braking module
U1159 lost communication with auto sway bar system
U0127 lost communication with tyre pressure module
U0103 lost communication with electronic gear shift module

So I needed to get back to the road. A few minutes (15 or so)later everything went back to normal so I hi tailed it back to the road ( about 20km, about 1.5hr)
The whole drive it would go between the hot oil ,estate and limp home mode loosing all instruments lights on etc to normal, and then about 8km from the road it went into hot oil no instruments limp home and I limped it back to road.

Jeep had it towed to Toowoomba, and I just picked it up today. At some stage I've put a hole through the electronic swaybar motor housing when it has met with the drag link adjustor clamp. Then it must have fill with water and the rest is history.

I've decided to replace it now rather then get it replaced with another e disco ( the $6500 they were asking for a new swaybar helped that decision, as did the countless threads on swaybar failures) to make sure I have no issues when I have the wife, kids and trailer on board.

I have got a good deal on a std swaybar and ordered some arb disconnects, so I'll fit all that in place of the e disco.

Last edited by ozbogan; 10-01-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2015
Established Member

Fitted an ARB old man emu front adjustable pan hard this morning. Had to remove tha jamb nut as the pan hard is made for the 4 in lift and was a bit to long for my application, but I'll get a half jamb and replace it today. It did what it was supposed to and my front axle is recentred again. Now over to the shop for a wheel alignment - the poor thing has a heart attack driving with the steering wheel not centered!

Also needs new upper ball joints which I'll have replaced under warranty at the 24k service. Will give me a little bit more time to save up for some aftermarket ones.