When is enough not enough ? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-06-2008
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts
Default When is enough not enough ?

Recently I asked in several posts for details and follow up information in regards to some vehicle repairs. These repairs are a constant item in the XJ fraternity and I would have presumed that current info and followup updates would benefit others beside myself.

Most recently, I asked for details ( for phone ordering purposes ) of the brass welch plugs which can be used in the 4.0l engine. Adequate purchasing details and locations are not available by searching nor in another prominent site. The fact that the replacement welch plugs - which I have yet to see - are stamped with the measurement is exactly the information I would have appreciated from Go Jeep, rather than just being redirected to his site yet again, where that particular info is not detailed. ( thanks RodXJ, for your recent experiences )
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=51796

Not being a mechanic by trade....I understand my abilities and mechanical aptitude are limited to what facts and information I can get prior to attempting any vehicle work. Further, I am the sort of person who wishes to know whether a repair is worth doing and what steps can be taken to prolong the life of the repair or ........should a whole replacement be done for long term benefit. e.g. the extractor thread...and the NSS thread.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...&highlight=nss
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...&highlight=nss

The only reason I am undertaking half of the jobs I'm now doing, the sort I used to pay others to do, is because of Go Jeeps informative reference site and the relatively easy to follow basics that are detailed there.

One thing I wont do however, is blindly follow the instructions of a self appointed Jeep expert, without getting all the information I require to be comfortable, to undertake a repair task or appoint a repairer I can trust to do the work properly the first time.

So Go Jeep.......please be aware that if I have any questions in regard to topics you have on your site - I will have read everything I can find on your site and may be looking for extra details for my peace of mind and quite possibly, other XJ owners yet to undertake the same tasks.

A good teacher discusses things with their students - not just slam a textbook on the desk in front of them and tell them to read it.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 20-06-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 20-06-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Are you seriously telling go.jeep that he isnt helpful enough, despite him being under no obligation at all to do anything at all for you?
Old 20-06-2008
Head Honcho

Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
One thing I wont do however, is blindly follow the instructions of a self appointed Jeep expert,
I think you answered your own question there!

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 20-06-2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post

A good teacher discusses things with their students - not just slam a textbook on the desk in front of them and tell them to read it.
maybe your looking at the wrong person....
Old 20-06-2008
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Bizarre, you're bagging out GoJeep because he wont talk you through every step of the process. Since when has he been a teacher, he's an enthusiast like a lot of guys on this site, the only difference is he can be bothered to write it down to give you somewhere to start

Sometimes you just gotta do some work yourself rather than rely on others.

Cheers
Steve
Old 20-06-2008
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Just looked at the link you posted re the welsh plugs, you asked for the size, Gojeep posted a link to his site which said they are 2" (Did you read it??? it's there alright took me 5 seconds to find it), you asked if they really are 2" he said yes otherwise he wouldn't have written it and then you post this thread!!

Cheers
Steve
Old 21-06-2008
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Hopefully this post will deal with the issues of the thread and just let people get on with the " how dare you " comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mur View Post
Are you seriously telling go.jeep that he isnt helpful enough, despite him being under no obligation at all to do anything at all for you?

On the contrary. That would appear to be your interpretation and a much harsher comment than anything I ever intended. On many occasions I have stated my appreciation of Go Jeeps site and recommended it to others.

Go Jeeps site has always been my first point of reference - particularly as it provides the terminology to use when searching threads on AJOR for other peoples..experiences..with the same repairs. Go Jeeps knowledge is an invaluable source of reference, as is everybody elses repair writeups and knowledge.

Its the constant posting of a private internet site address in response to posts asking for different or updated, current information or experiences which has prompted this thread - Particularly when I have made it known on several occasions in the past, that I have been referencing Go Jeeps site. Its enough to make you think that the posting of the site link is more important than the posts questions or content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
Bizarre, you're bagging out GoJeep because he wont talk you through every step of the process. Since when has he been a teacher, he's an enthusiast like a lot of guys on this site, the only difference is he can be bothered to write it down to give you somewhere to start

Sometimes you just gotta do some work yourself rather than rely on others.

Cheers
Steve

No....You've got it wrong too. See the comment above as to why this thread was started.

My posted requests have been for information, further to that all ready provided in both
Go Jeeps site and previous posts on AJOR....If you read my posts, they dont say....Help - my extractors are cracked, what do I do..... they are a request for additional information from past to present....This then allows me " to do some work myself " so as to formulate the best and most cost effective repair I can. The results of my experience, costs, alternative parts etc. will then go in the AJOR info bag along with everbody elses for the next person to piece together and use to their benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
Just looked at the link you posted re the welsh plugs, you asked for the size, Gojeep posted a link to his site which said they are 2" (Did you read it??? it's there alright took me 5 seconds to find it), you asked if they really are 2" he said yes otherwise he wouldn't have written it and then you post this thread!!

Cheers
Steve

Best if you read it again if your going to quote the posts and get it wrong. Just use the links I provided - to ensure that sort of thing didnt happen - and copy the content.

My question was.............Any body got part numbers for them for Repco / Bursons purchase.
Go Jeeps response was....See my write up as has all the details there.

( My thought at the time of his post was - damn, I must have missed them, but I hadnt )

RodXJ then provided me with the info that the replacement plugs are stamped with the size.
Go Jeep then confirmed RodXJs info.

I already had the indication they were 2" from Go Jeeps site. Given the variation from metric to imperial on these things, not to mention variations in components per model, I was looking for confirmation prior to placing an order.

Whilst that might not seem important to those living in the 'burbs - A 6hr round trip including lunch and waiting time at sales counters to get the wrong part, is not my idea of a fun day out.

Further to that...If I posted up a repair of some sort and stated I used a certain sized item without part number reference etc., you would be prepared, to get your preferred repairer over in the next town, to order that item and then take the risk you didn't get stranded there for days, with a stripped down vehicle, while the correct parts were ordered ?????