Paint Issue - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-11-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 124 Times in 77 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Paint Issue

Today I gave the big girl a wash & vacuum after being away for a month, and when I got on the ladder to do the roof I found this thumb nail size paint crack that's lifting. There's no sign of a dent or damage to the spot or whole roof as per pics.

I'm one year out of warranty but am going to have a go as I feel it shouldn't of done this. I think it falls into the area of Reasonable Durability that a Reasonable Person would expect, like it should last more than 4 years. Hopefully someone can help me with it.
There's obviously some issue with the steel or prep underneath as when viewed from behind you can see the whole thing as a circle or spot.

I'm taking it to a spray painter in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_120931.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	77928   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_120839.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	77929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181114_121029.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	77930  
Old 14-11-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Did you buy it new?
Could be repaired hail damage.
Old 14-11-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08crd View Post
Did you buy it new?
Could be repaired hail damage.
Yes, i'm first owner and it's only in one spot. Been garaged most of it's life.
Old 15-11-2018
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

That ain't normal! It sort of looks like a small cylindrical section didn't take the paint for whatever reason, but doesn't seem to have been done from the outside --> in?

Good luck getting them to fix it - hope they just knock it out real quick and you can forget about it.

Very strange. Let us know!
Old 15-11-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

At least it's on the roof and on a ridge - will be almost unnoticeable when it's fixed.
Old 15-11-2018
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Update:
took it to our "service centre" they're not a dealer anymore but do warranty/service work.
They were very good, opened up a job card, took heaps of pics including overall condition of the vehicle and agreed it wasn't normal. They're sending pics to FCA and have asked me to get a quote for a whole roof respray and send it too them which I did.
Guess now I wait.
Old 16-11-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 798 Times in 449 Posts

If you google paint problems on 2014 - on GC s there have been numerous paint defect complaints here and in US !
Post New Thread  Reply