JK diesel on LPG - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-01-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo1959 View Post
It's the world's first heavy truck powered entirely by LPG and it was unveiled at the Inter-national Truck and Trailer show in Melbourne.

The 2656 FPC envirotech uses patented technolgy to re-engineer a Mercedes-Benz Actros 12 litre V6 diesel prime mover to run on 100% per cent LPG.

They state more power,quieter running and up to a 10% per cent reduction in fleet operating costs.

They don't say if they can do one for people like us,but it would be great if that's the way you would like to go.

Have you actually read it? It was the scaryist thing I have ever read.

Basically they convert the diesel engine to a petrol engine (install sparkplug etc etc) and then convert to LPG. Hundreds of man hours re-engineering the engine (bye bye warranty to the point where they have to supply their own warranty for the whole vehicle)

They get a "upto 10% saving" by supplying ALL of the LPG you use AND taking over all the maintance of the vehicles.

All the dieselgas companies quote a "upto a 20% saving". Gas Tek Global quote a minimum of 10%. They don't take over your maintance departments and they don't lock you into buying fuel off them. Why the hell would anyone sign their soul away?

To quote Sir Robin the Brave "Run away. Run away"

Thorne
Old 19-01-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawkracefab View Post
diesel / gas not what it's cracked up to be....good chance your warranty will be voided....this 'fad' has come and gone in the states with diesel pickups...cleaner emissions is questionable...less particulates but a hotter cylinder burn ( where the extra power comes from ) results in increased NOx
emissions...amazing how many diesel/gas fitters have popped out of woodwork since gas kit rebate come about...give it a bit longer and it'll be franchised everywhere
Not quite true. For all vehicles 2003 or newer they must be fitted with legal emission certified kits. To pass the emission certification ADR 79/00/01/02, they have to under the required levels of NOx.

An emission certified dieselgas kit should be able to reduce CO2, NOx and particulates (if they didn't then they wouldn't be emission certified).

As for warranty issues like several of the threads here the manafacturer needs to prove the gas system (just like the DP chips) damaged the engine. We all know manafacturer's will use any excuse to void warranty at the best of time (bad fuel, cosmic radiation, act of god etc etc) but if they cannot prove it was then they cannot void the warranty (but they'll try). A good electronic dieselgas system should have logging and will be able to monitor and record any problems which is handy should a claim arise.

Thorne
Old 19-01-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bear in mind the exises will begin to be levied on LPG NEXT YEAR scaling up to the full amount in 2015. lpg will soon be nearly 40c/L more, time will tell what the cost difference between LPG/petrol will be. But you'd have to assume that its still going to be cheaper the Diesel...

personally, I would go the long-ranger tank, purely from the warranty side of things. If the Jeep was 4 years old - then maybe I'd think about the lpg, but I still dont like the idea of a gas tank under the car... Fracturing a tank for of deisel which is difficult to ignite in liquid form, verus LPG which will move to the gasious state under atmospheric pressure and become explosive...
Old 19-01-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolli View Post
bear in mind the exises will begin to be levied on LPG NEXT YEAR scaling up to the full amount in 2015. lpg will soon be nearly 40c/L more, time will tell what the cost difference between LPG/petrol will be. But you'd have to assume that its still going to be cheaper the Diesel...

personally, I would go the long-ranger tank, purely from the warranty side of things. If the Jeep was 4 years old - then maybe I'd think about the lpg, but I still dont like the idea of a gas tank under the car... Fracturing a tank for of deisel which is difficult to ignite in liquid form, verus LPG which will move to the gasious state under atmospheric pressure and become explosive...
True but when you look at a diesel tank, it's made of what maybe 1mm steel while a gas tank is around 8mm and a much better quality steel.

Just think of how many people you know of who have split a gas tank and then think of how many people you know who gave split a fuel tank.

I'd be willing to bet that everyone knows at least one person who has split a fuel tank and I'm quite confident that no one knows anyone who has split a gas tank.

As for the price of LPG. When it hits 80 cents a litre you can bet that diesel will be $2 a litre or more. Big Kev and the fuel companies are going to hit you no matter what you do.

It also doesn't matter if you run out of gas. You run on diesel like normal until you can refill it. All you lose is the extra power, torque and fuel savings. No harm done.

Thorne
Old 19-01-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

why on earth would anyone buy a bloody diesel truck, then go to all the trouble of having the engine totally rebuilt into a petrol engine, so they can then convert it to gas. the cost would be enormous. think most people would just buy a petrol engine and convert it to gas as is the usual case now.
Old 20-01-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
why on earth would anyone buy a bloody diesel truck, then go to all the trouble of having the engine totally rebuilt into a petrol engine, so they can then convert it to gas. the cost would be enormous. think most people would just buy a petrol engine and convert it to gas as is the usual case now.

Ummm do you have any idea of how dieselgas works? Clearly not.

Dieselgas is a bolt on bolt off system that makes the vehicle run on BOTH diesel and LPG at the same time. The LPG boosts the diesel efficiency which gives you additional power and fuel savings. Less smoke more power.

A petrol/LPG system cannot be removed from a vehicle (Without major costs). Dieselgas can easily be taken off and moved to a new vehicle.

There is only one company I know of who convert that way and they only do large trucks. It's terribly expensive and the vehicle only runs LPG from then on. Cheaper to buy a new petrol engine.

Thorne
Old 20-01-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Ummm do you have any idea of how dieselgas works? Clearly not.

Dieselgas is a bolt on bolt off system that makes the vehicle run on BOTH diesel and LPG at the same time. The LPG boosts the diesel efficiency which gives you additional power and fuel savings. Less smoke more power.

A petrol/LPG system cannot be removed from a vehicle (Without major costs). Dieselgas can easily be taken off and moved to a new vehicle.

There is only one company I know of who convert that way and they only do large trucks. It's terribly expensive and the vehicle only runs LPG from then on. Cheaper to buy a new petrol engine.

Thorne
ys mate i know how diese/gas works. but the post was about a converting a diesel engine to run totally on gas. to do this diesel engine would have to have the compression ratio dropped by crankshaft change or by a spacer in the head gasket area. it would then have to have valve timing changed with probably new camshafts. then the head would need to drilled at each cylinder to allow the fitting of spark plugs. and finally the entire electonics and electrics of the engine need to be changed to suit the new petrol conversion. oh yes and a change of injectors to petrol injectors. then when you have the thing running on petrol, you can start doing the gas conversion. it has been done, but only on a very few trucks that wanted the gas conversion done. but it really is a wierd expensive way to save a few bucks on fuel. definitely not for the general public to take on. you would never ever recoup the cost of the conversion. and like some one on the thread said, try going bush and finding a guarenteed supply of gas. diesel is always available anywhere.
Post New Thread  Reply