JK Towbar - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzz View Post
thanks for youi help guys very much appreciatred.

the small one im referring to is the one DBOR mentioned if this will do the job then i will be me more then happy to use it. in your literature its says its only rated to 1600kg is that right or is that for the 2 door?

here it is http://www.doubleblackoffroad.com/Pr...Tow-Hitch.aspx

the heavy duty one im referring to is the heavy duty bar on this page.
http://www.haymanreese.com.au/products.htm

if the smaller one will do the job i will grab it.

on another note DBOR is that wiring harness fairly straight forward to install?
Those heavy duty full width styles I have never seen for a JK rear end, mine is a 4 bolt Mopar bar, made by Best Bars in New Zealand!

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 06-11-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2011
Just Real Jeeps Club

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

The dbor one looks like a cheap Chinese nock off, going by the photo it use 4 small mounting bolts to locate the tow bar, the Mopar & Hayman Reese use 2 large bolts & 2 smaller bolts to located the bar, the Hayman Reese & Mopar towbars are built to Australian design standards & are marked as such, is the dbor bar ADR approved, if your tow bar fails & falls off & causes an accident your insurance co will wipe you if it's not ADR compliant & you will be liable for any injurys you cause big $$$$$$$$$$$$ gone are the days you could make your own bar, so what ever bar you get make sure it has the ADR compliant sticker on it showing the towbar rating

Towing weights for JK's

2 door 1600kgs braked 750 unbraked
4 door 2300kgs braked 750 unbraked

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Old 07-11-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiboy01 View Post
The dbor one looks like a cheap Chinese nock off, going by the photo it use 4 small mounting bolts to locate the tow bar, the Mopar & Hayman Reese use 2 large bolts & 2 smaller bolts to located the bar, the Hayman Reese & Mopar towbars are built to Australian design standards & are marked as such, is the dbor bar ADR approved, if your tow bar fails & falls off & causes an accident your insurance co will wipe you if it's not ADR compliant & you will be liable for any injurys you cause big $$$$$$$$$$$$ gone are the days you could make your own bar, so what ever bar you get make sure it has the ADR compliant sticker on it showing the towbar rating

Towing weights for JK's

2 door 1600kgs braked 750 unbraked
4 door 2300kgs braked 750 unbraked
i completely agree with you mate in regards to ADR and insurance. specially living in queensland and know a lot of people who have dealt with insurance companies with the floods.

yeah and from the description on DBOR the max it can take is 909kg which is very dangerous, wouldnt be using that as a recovery point.... (Correct me if im Wrong)

Seacomms thanks heaps for the photo appreciate the time!!
Old 07-11-2011
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

I've got one of the DBOR 4 bolt ones..... its made by TerraFlex in the US, the instructions also support this. I use mine for recovery so its subject to some VERY substantial loads ( bloody Patrols are heavy... )

I understand your concerns re insurance so no arguement there. If you need ADR complaince then you have few choices.

But to suggest that four 12mm high tensile ( not absolutely certain on diameter... its been awhile... ) aren't enough seems unrealistic These bolts are only required to carry the vertical component on any load and are used in shear... In my estimation the chassis would bend well before the fastners fail.... but thats just my opinion.

The ultimate strength ( and rating ) of all of the JK tow hitches appears to be the strenght of the rear crossmsmber. If there are more complex load distributing hitches that run bars forward to other chassis components then they deserve to be called heavy duty - but variations on the same theme will all have the same limitations.

So by all means if you need ADR compliance then go that way, but keep perspective on the others. They alternatives MAY be even stronger - just not been through the local compaince process.

Most aftermarket parts fit this description... a significant improvment from the basic OE part ( i.e. ADR compliant ) but never been put through the ADR process as there just isnt the market volume here to justify multiple vendors.
Old 15-12-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys,

just a quick update, i purchased a heavy duty hayman reese kit from speedy towbars in brisbane, $600 on site location installation (wiring loom, tow bar, ball, plate relocation/swing) very happy with it)

have noticed the susbstantial loss in power towing the trailer without any weight in it at all!! probably have 3.21 gears? on my manual 07 unlimited

cheers
Post New Thread  Reply