CJ 10 project - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-03-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Default CJ 10 project

The Land Rover to Jeep ratio at our house was getting a little skewed and so we filled out our border paperwork for the Mexican government and headed down past Wangaratta to pick up a new project for SWMBO.

The good:
Not much rust for a vehicle this age
Engine runs sweetly and starts using glow plugs after a while
153000KM that are probably genuine

The challenges:
Has a few dents and a stuffed bonnet, its been a farm truck for a long time.
The front bumper mounts have had a bit of a hiding
The tray is very rusty and is probably a throw away
Cab leaks
Water pump leaks (new one ordered)

At this stage the plan is to do enough work to get it registered and then do it up as a running restoration.

My first encounter with these was at the Australian National Field Days in the early 1980s, they had a J10 and a J20 on the jeep stand there. I was very much younger than I am today

I'll post progress here as we make it.

Regards,
Tote
Old 16-03-2021
Senior Newbie

The new water pump showed up today, I only ordered it from Ebay on Sunday. Kudos to Autosurplus, was a Japanese made replacement as well.
One of the water pump bolts broke when removing the old pump but a bit of judicious heat and wd40 and we got the broken part out with no issues.

The old water pump, had been leaking for quite a while and had about 3mm play in the shaft so well past its use by date.

Regards,
Tote
mjs
Old 16-03-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JL
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts

I love the Mojito JL in the background! 👌
Old 18-03-2021
Senior Newbie

Water pump now fitted, the heater core was blocked solid with decomposed rubber from the old heater hoses, all cleaned out and flows well now and gets warm. New heater hoses fitted as well and radiator flushed.
I haven't put coolant into it yet as we will probably have it out again. It seems there is a difference between Nissan water pumps as the pulleys are too far forward, I might have to swap the drive pulley of the old pump.

Regards

Tote
Old 19-03-2021
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Be great to see this old girl hit the road again.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 24-03-2021
Senior Newbie

A bit of work this afternoon, we dropped the oil out and I was going to add some CEM engine flush that I had left over from doing our tractor but I seem to have either left it out at the farm or misplaced it, so just some fresh oil for now.

I spent some time with the porta power and a sledgehammer and straightened out the front frame where the bumper mounts, looks much better now.

Before

After

We've got a pile of bits coming over the next week or so, new headlights, taillights, some nylon clips to fix the window winders and a box of bits and pieces from Quadratec.

Regards,
Tote
Old 26-03-2021
Senior Newbie

A little more work this afternoon, we modified the as bought passenger side window retainer mechanism

Cleaned up the regulator guide and replaced the disintegrated nylon retainers with BMW units from ebay with bolts through them. I've used nyloc nuts on the boltd and they have a steel washer with a fibre washer against the window glass under the nut at the back. Seems to work ON and doesn't foul anything.

Regards,
Tote

Last edited by Tote; 26-03-2021 at 07:45 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply