JK Wheels on camper trailer - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Camper Trailers and Caravans
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe this is the Toyota adaptor the same as mine. (Same as patrol)

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada...6550-5500s.htm
Old 08-01-2013
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelzo View Post
Who said they're 8mm ?

These have 14x1.5mm studs, bigger than standard jeep 1/2" studs. The hex bolts are 1/2"

Not sure what you mean by the wheel not being central to the hub?

Also the 2 pieces are not only bolted together with 6 x 12mm bolts but also have a machined lip on the back to centre it and also share the load.

My bad, they are 12 mm and they are tapered head and torqued to half the torque the wheel studs are torqued to and take all the load of the trailer/vehicle while being threaded into 33mm of ally????

Seriously, its your funeral, or the person who cops 35kg of wheel through their windscreen (which happened on the Mitchel fwy in Perth a few years ago)but to answer your questions....

My list of problems...
First, the inner wheel nuts that secure the first ring to the hub are now not visible, that is actually the major illegal factor. You cannot walk past the hub and see a missing wheel nut or snapped stud, you cannot walk around and throw a wheel brace onto them to give them a quick check. Your first indication of a problem is the wheel leaving the vehicle.

Second, the adapter plate on the outside....its 16mm thick, the entire load of the vehicle is on a 16mm thick ally plate? Additionally, this plate is retained by six tapered head hex bolts that you cannot see with the wheel attached. So all the all the first points apply to the second plate, pus this plate is half the thickness and taking all thge load. The taper bolts are a joke, have significantly less clamping force as a true stud and wheel nut, evident by the manufacturers torque of HALF the wheel stud torque...shows how weak these bolts are...AND THEY TAKE ALL THE LOAD?????

Finally the outer plate the external studs are in, it is now not hub centric (look it up if you need to) so the outer wheel is not central to the hub! Then the studs are pressed into 16mm ally plate being retained by the little hex bolts????

So not only is 16mm of plate taking all the dynamic loads of wheel bouncing over undulations, the trailer is smashing down on this same plate....Notice the manufacturer doesnt state a load rating for the hub? Ask your self why not??

Then with no conscience fit this to a vehicle and travel on an open road, ignorance is bliss.

Goodluck with that, lets hope no one is killed, since you have been warned.
Matt.

How to Install 2-Piece Conversion Adapters

Professional Installation is Highly Recommended

Preparation:

Each 2-piece wheel adapter has two separate pieces. Unscrew the black bolts and you will have the inner piece (w/o studs) and the outer piece (with studs).

Installation:

1) Installing 1st Piece: Put the inner piece adapter to the hub. Use open-end lug nuts with the matching thread size as the hub studs to secure. Make sure the open-end lug nuts sit flush inside the holes of the adapters. If the open-end lug nuts stick out, find low profile ones.

2) Installing 2nd Piece: Put the outer piece adapter to the inner piece, using the provided black bolts. Torque them to 50-55 ft-lb. (It is highly recommended to use ThreadLocker or Loctite glue or similar products for extra strength and reducing vibration loosening. Apply the gel to the leading 5 to 6 threads of the black bolts before bolting them on)

3) Installing rims: Put the wheels onto the adapters. Use the lug nuts with the same thread size as the adapter studs to secure the rims.

Important Notes:

During installation, inspect the mounting surface between the adapter inner piece and vehicle disc, the inner piece and the outer piece, wheels and the adapter outer piece. Remove any retaining clips and dirt. Make sure each mounting surface is flat and clean.

Make sure the hub studs coming through the inner piece are not sticking against the outer piece of the adapter. If so, cut the hub studs short.

Torque Reference:

Torque recommendation for both the open-end lug nuts and rims’ lug nuts

65 ft-lb for 7/16” studs
80 ft-lb for ½” studs
90 ft-lb for 12mm studs
95 ft-lb for 14mm studs
100 ft-lb for 9/16” studs

Now cross finger and pray nothing lets go!

Last edited by Macca2801; 08-01-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You won't get a missing wheel nut as the nut cannot come off, it is covered by the next adaptor plate.
Same goes for that plate, bolts can't come out as covered by wheel.

As for not being hub centric, the original camper wheels aren't hub centric anyway. As with most trailers, particularly those with 'sunraysia' type wheels.

Have you had any actual personal experience with these ?
Old 08-01-2013
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Unfortunately you are so wrong on all accounts, rather than trying to justify your purchase, do some research, might save a life.

Fwiw a nut doesnt have to be missing to have no clamping force, can you see past the ally plate to see a loose nut? Nope so the first indication is when the wheel eventually leaves the vehicle.

It may also shock you to know the correct size sun raiser wheel on a landcruiser 6 stud is actually hub centered. There is a tiny raise in the last 5mm of the hub that secures the rim on the hub centrally!

I have given you heaps of reasons why I WOULD NEVER have experience with these, as a duty of care to myself, customers and the public, and at worst criminal liability.

Last edited by Macca2801; 08-01-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know it's hub centred when its on the land cruiser. I'm talking about when its on the camper trailer hub.

I'm not trying to justify my purchase to you at all. I've read and thought about everything you've said and appreciate yours and everyone's input.
Just don't totally agree
Old 19-06-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

These two piece adaptors look like a really bad idea for all the aforementioned reasons. If you must use adaptors get one piece ones.

There's a bloke on here who figured out the jk wheels fit over Commodore hubs. I think he ditched the studs and had them re drilled at 5x5 which is still not absolutely ideal but light years ahead of those killer adaptors. Best bet would be to try and get blank ones and then drill them.

The jk wheels use conical wheel nuts so non hub centric hubs is no big deal provide you drill the studs accurately.
Old 14-09-2014
---8< CUT HERE >8---

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Now that the dust has settled ... is anyone aware of a safe, legal way to have JK wheels on my trailer or should I just forget it?
Post New Thread  Reply